Adam Straith

matty

Hey guys I interviewed my first active senior MNT player for my blog with Adam Straith and got some great stuff on Floro, his C-League views and the idea Cup qualification. Hope you guys like it and let me know what you think.

https://somesoccerplayingcanadians.wordpress.com/2015/10/09/adam-straith/

If you're on a phone or just want the cream of the crop questions you can read a shorter version on Red Nation

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2015/CanucksAbroadInterviewsAdamStraith10102015.aspx

How funny how there are people against a domestic professional league, specially Whitecaps first, CMNT second fans, yet there's not a single CMNT player that was questioned on that matter who oppose to the idea of a local league (first Nakajima, now Straith).

SSPC: What do you think needs to be done to make Canada a stronger soccer nation in terms of both player development and knowledge of the game?

AS: First and foremost I think Canada having its own national league would do wonders for not only player development but it would also give more youth coaches more opportunities to teach kids at ahigher level. It’s something that nearly every country in the world has and it’s something that we are unfortunately too far behind in. If you had a league of 10 or so teams in it, along with all of the youth programs of those teams, I would create a football culture which we have never really had. Coaches would have an end product right in front of them to coach towards, and not just playing in certain tournaments and having to travel down to the states to get good competition. This is obviously not something that can be done overnight, and it’s easier said then done to get going, but I think if so many countries in the world have made it work in the past and many of them not as strong economically as us, why couldn’t we as a nation put forward a competitive domestic football league? Hopefully this is something that will come sooner rather than later so that kids in Canada growing up have the desire to play for a Canadian league, and not feel like they have to move out of the country to play professional or semi professional soccer.

How funny how there are people against a domestic professional league, specially Whitecaps first, CMNT second fans, yet there's not a single CMNT player that was questioned on that matter who oppose to the idea of a local league (first Nakajima, now Straith).

I've noticed with the players I've talked to that generally they like the idea but a lot don't want to play in it, at least not until the league's a few years in. I've long thought the league would only really succeed if the Canadians playing in England's League 1 and 2 and guys playing in Finland, Sweden and Norway came home to make the league look stronger a league of mostly CIS would be viewed at first glance. The lack of players who seem interested in joining the league at the start makes me worried the idea could be a total dud, especially if it comes on after a Premier League or even MLS game. That said money could change everything.

How funny that you grasp at straws to avoid the obvious questions:

1) Will the C-League pay good enough to get players to return?

2) Will the players wait 2-3 years to see if the league is stable before considering it?

3) Is there any actual money on the table as we speak? End of year? 2016? 2017?

4) Is this whole C-League idea just a stalling tactic for the CSA to prevent USL/NASL from expanding?

5) What would the foreign content be? 8 players per team?

6) How long do we wait for the C-League before we admit it is not going to happen?

I would love to have 8 teams drop from the sky and offer good paying jobs for Canadian players in a fully professional league but until someone puts money on the table it is just smoke and mirrors. So far we have the CSA with its 2010 year long moratorium and now rumours and more rumours with ZERO to show for it.

Especially #6.

PS. Good interview. Keep them coming. Thanks.

2) Will the players wait 2-3 years to see if the league is stable before considering it?

4) Is this whole C-League idea just a stalling tactic for the CSA to prevent USL/NASL from expanding?

6) How long do we wait for the C-League before we admit it is not going to happen?

I would love to have 8 teams drop from the sky and offer good paying jobs for Canadian players in a fully professional league but until someone puts money on the table it is just smoke and mirrors. So far we have the CSA with its 2010 year long moratorium and now rumours and more rumours with ZERO to show for it.

Especially #6.

Points 1, and 3 are valid questions. The rest of the points lead me to think how you feel about the idea of a domestic professional league. 

Whether you think it's possible or not, it's not what I meant in my previous post. I'd like to know, do you want a domestic professional league? 

Especially #6.

Thanks, I'll keep it up and I wanna address a few of your questions

1) According to Rollins the cap would be $1.5m, which would make pay about $20,000 over the NASL's average

4) I think it's less a stall tactic against the NASL or USL and more a tactic to make Canadians domestics in the MLS. The CSA does have issues with the MLS so it wouldn't surprise me.

5) I think the goal was 75% Canadian or something (again according to Rollins)

6) I'm waiting until January before I give up. I've talked to Rollins in person about and if he is making this up he's done a good job convincing himself that it's real but beyond him, Waking the Red (who are usually pretty reliable) have reported on it and I've spoken with a journalist from MLSsoccer.com who's said yea it's gonna happen. But even beyond them Floro's dropped hints and FoxSports has mentioned the rumours as well. They do seem to have a lot of weight behind them. I'm saying January.

That said, I think it's gonna be a shit league for at least 4 years should it come to be. I like the idea of the league and partly started doing this to see if anyone would come home to play and currently I don't think anyone would for at least 4 years and if that's the case this will be basically just a bit better than USL.

This isn't going to have the same bank or fanfare as the Indian Super League did 2 years ago. Even with TSN or TLN showing games and the CFL and Flames  putting everything together this league will be a massive risk that I don't think a lot guys who've worked to get spots in Europe and Asia are gonna wanna take the chance in 2017.

There was some talk on here about Straith thinking he was too good for MLS, was their not? If I am remembering that correctly, I think this quote from Straith can officially shut that down...

It was in the middle of their season though so both teams decided not to pursue anything further. I would have loved to and still would love to play for a Canadian team one day, but at that time it was just the simple answer of none of the clubs being interested enough for a contract.

Points 1, and 3 are valid questions. The rest of the points lead me to think how you feel about the idea of a domestic professional league. 

Whether you think it's possible or not, it's not what I meant in my previous post. I'd like to know, do you want a domestic professional league? 

All in favour of it IF it is actually going to happen. I've seen nothing in 5 years since the CSA put its first 1 year moratorium in place to make me think it will happen. So the question becomes #6. How long before we admit it's not going to happen? That would be my question to you and any others.

IMHO that ship sailed in 2007 when our largest market joined the MLS. Now that Vancouver and Montreal are in MLS it is so over and done that I fail to see the point of stalling further NASL/USL teams for secondary markets. All that does is deprive Canadian players of playing opportunities at D2/3 level.

Our 3 largest markets are gone. I fail to see how any league can survive without them or in competition with them.

TFC may be the best thing that has happened to soccer in Canada in a long time but it was the death knell for any serious Canadian league to emerge. Here again just my opinion.

Thanks, I'll keep it up and I wanna address a few of your questions

1) According to Rollins the cap would be $1.5m, which would make pay about $20,000 over the NASL's average

4) I think it's less a stall tactic against the NASL or USL and more a tactic to make Canadians domestics in the MLS. The CSA does have issues with the MLS so it wouldn't surprise me.

5) I think the goal was 75% Canadian or something (again according to Rollins)

6) I'm waiting until January before I give up. I've talked to Rollins in person about and if he is making this up he's done a good job convincing himself that it's real but beyond him, Waking the Red (who are usually pretty reliable) have reported on it and I've spoken with a journalist from MLSsoccer.com who's said yea it's gonna happen. But even beyond them Floro's dropped hints and FoxSports has mentioned the rumours as well. They do seem to have a lot of weight behind them. I'm saying January.

That said, I think it's gonna be a shit league for at least 4 years should it come to be. I like the idea of the league and partly started doing this to see if anyone would come home to play and currently I don't think anyone would for at least 4 years and if that's the case this will be basically just a bit better than USL.

This isn't going to have the same bank or fanfare as the Indian Super League did 2 years ago. Even with TSN or TLN showing games and the CFL and Flames  putting everything together this league will be a massive risk that I don't think a lot guys who've worked to get spots in Europe and Asia are gonna wanna take the chance in 2017.

Anything "according to Rollins" is smoke and mirrors. He may be told things 2cd, 3rd or 4th hand that he hopes or interprets the way he hears it.

#4 would be a nice surprise if the CSA is trying do that then it shows they are trying to address the gross domestic rules in MLS. Any approach on that horrid issue is welcome but I doubt MLS is worried about a Canadian league. They have beat USL & NASL into secondary markets and take those when they get big enough.

If it does happen I hope it isn't a "shit league". I love to watch and support local soccer and have done so regardless of quality but it wouldn't be much fun to watch. If it goes 3-4 years like that it won't last to year 5. They need to get it at a decent level right out of the gate.

Anything "according to Rollins" is smoke and mirrors. He may be told things 2cd, 3rd or 4th hand that he hopes or interprets the way he hears it.

#4 would be a nice surprise if the CSA is trying do that then it shows they are trying to address the gross domestic rules in MLS. Any approach on that horrid issue is welcome but I doubt MLS is worried about a Canadian league. They have beat USL & NASL into secondary markets and take those when they get big enough.

If it does happen I hope it isn't a "shit league". I love to watch and support local soccer and have done so regardless of quality but it wouldn't be much fun to watch. If it goes 3-4 years like that it won't last to year 5. They need to get it at a decent level right out of the gate.

I totally agree that they need to have a decent game from the get go and hope they can if it happens. if it does prove to be a 'shit league' for longer than 3 seasons then it'd be in trouble

Especially #6.

Actually, Rollins has said this league would pay players more than your average NASL wages.

• 1 year later...
Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ha, if Sam went to Costa Rica with Floro he'd never play for Canada again. Could say the same about Straith but in his case he may not care, Sam does.

Wait.... what,....why would he be done? 

As far as I see it, that move would make more sense then the one he's currently in.

3 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Wait.... what,....why would he be done? 

As far as I see it, that move would make more sense then the one he's currently in.

Will you guys stop quoting and liking my dumb posts, its 2-30 AM here and I am trying to finish watching second season of Mr Robot. This board is so fucking distracting.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Will you guys stop quoting and liking my dumb posts, its 2-30 AM here and I am trying to finish watching second season of Mr Robot. This board is so fucking distracting.

LOL Ahhh I see too much wine,

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Ha, if Sam went to Costa Rica with Floro he'd never play for Canada again. Could say the same about Straith but in his case he may not care, Sam does.

I know how you don't view clubs like Alajuelense, but Alajuelense is no joke. If any Canadian was a regular there, he would play for us. Aleman wasn't able to make himself a regular at Herediano, but had he made it there, he would have been called more often.

Archived