NASL Applies for D1 Sanctioning & Takes Issue w/USSF Changes

CDNFootballer

NASL Takes Issue with US Soccer’s Proposed Changes to First Division Standards

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/proposed-division-standards-39486/#comment-153788

The North American Soccer League have sent a shot across the bow of the U.S. Soccer Federation.

A story posted by the Financial Times in the UK reveals the league has sent notice to the American soccer governing body over grievances surrounding significant changes to the Division I league standards.

“Doubling the population criteria now is an anti-competitive bait and switch, with the purpose of entrenching MLS’s monopoly position at the very time when the NASL is threatening to become a significant competitor,” Jeffrey Kessler, an antitrust and sports attorney representing NASL, wrote in a letter to Sunil Gulati, head of US Soccer, and seen by the Financial Times.

The NASL applied for first division status in January but the application has apparently been put on hold.

Good on NASL for challenging the corrupt relationship between the USSF and MLS and the way the whole system is being slanted in MLS favour. Pretty risky move on their part because it could backfire and hurt their cause with the corrupt officials running things but nice to see the challenge to power and the way soccer is being run in the US and by our relationship with them Canada.

Good on NASL for challenging the corrupt relationship between the USSF and MLS and the way the whole system is being slanted in MLS favour. Pretty risky move on their part because it could backfire and hurt their cause with the corrupt officials running things but nice to see the challenge to power and the way soccer is being run in the US and by our relationship with them Canada.

Agree!!

Good on NASL for challenging the corrupt relationship between the USSF and MLS and the way the whole system is being slanted in MLS favour.

So, you will be opposing any involvement in the C-League (if it is happening) by the CSA?

Meanwhile, if the NASL don't get a team in either the Mountain or Pacific timezones by 2017, they could lose their D2 status and the USL have applied to be D2 status to effectively take their place.

We can't tell the future and we'll see in 2017, its irrelevant at the moment.

Did MLS lose their D1 sanctioning for not meeting D1 requirements?

So, you will be opposing any involvement in the C-League (if it is happening) by the CSA?

There is a huge difference between a federation properly regulating leagues in a fair and legal manner and a federation being in an improper relationship with certain leagues and giving them unfair advantages. I would not be opposed to the CSA being involved in a possible Canadian league but if the nature of their involvement was improper I would oppose that.

We can't tell the future and we'll see in 2017, its irrelevant at the moment.

Did MLS lose their D1 sanctioning for not meeting D1 requirements?

Why ask a question, if you already know the answer? Would have thought the possibility that NASL might drop to D3 is highly relevant, given they appear to be using an attack is the best form of defence approach where sanctioning is concerned. There's no way they are going to get D1 status, but it looks like they are looking for a way to build a credible USFL vs NFL style lawsuit to gain leverage in negotiations with the USSF. 

U.S. Soccer Continues To Sabotage Soccer In The U.S.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/u-s-soccer-continues-to-sabotage-soccer-in-the-u-s-1728268664?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

As Kessler points out elsewhere, the timing of this is suspicious. The NASL hasn’t been secretive about its desire to challenge MLS head-on for supremacy. Boosted by the inclusion of historically significant clubs like the New York Cosmos, a handful of rich and ambitious owners, and the absence of a salary cap, the league’s threats of attracting and paying great players that could eventually result in a collection of teams better than what the self-neutered MLS has to offer isn’t totally outside the realm of possibility.

My main issue with this is that it doesn't really benefit the MLS, other than the squeeze out the NASL.  Like really, are they THAT worried about NASL?  The only thing this does is help MLS solidify it's monopoly.  I want to see MLS succeed, but its kinda a dick move to fans in NASL cities.  Hopefully some sort of merger happens eventually.  This whole pyramid is such an epic @#$% show, and it takes credibility away from NA soccer.  

The MLS is the top league in the US what's the problem, every country in the world has a division 1 I don't see a rival league say in England or Germany trying to rival their top leagues over there so why is it that here in North America or the US mainly we always have these leagues constantly popping up trying to rival the top league. The NASL should try to solidify their status as a strong tier 2 league instead of wasting time and money trying to be the top dog,  only in America what a joke!

The MLS is the top league in the US what's the problem, every country in the world has a division 1 I don't see a rival league say in England or Germany trying to rival their top leagues over there so why is it that here in North America or the US mainly we always have these leagues constantly popping up trying to rival the top league. The NASL should try to solidify their status as a strong tier 2 league instead of wasting time and money trying to be the top dog,  only in America what a joke!

I do think that lack of a pro/rel is one of the reason why NASL wants to be called D1. That's the difference between North America and the rest of the world. In the rest of the world, any club can be created and become a first division club. (It doesn't happen that often, but it can happen)  If there was a way that clubs could go from one league to another based on football merits, I highly doubt that NASL would want to be D1

Hate to be the one to bump a controversial topic like this one, but Steve Sandor (11.ca) just posted a VERY interesting interview with MDS about various Ottawa things. Canadian Premier League is one of them. MDS is against the idea of Ottawa joining the league unless its at the same level as NASL.

Highlight for me from this Sandor article:

There has been a lot of talk about the possible formation of a Canadian Professional League. Do you think that’s the answer for Canadian clubs? Or is it NASL?

“The NASL is the place to be. I don’t know if Canada has the willingness to have a fully professional Canadian league. Montreal has a clue of what it takes. Toronto has a clue of what it takes. Vancouver has a clue of what it takes. Ottawa and Edmonton have a clue of the costs and the investment needed to create a fully professional team. And, for me, it’s hard to see how we will have a league with 12 teams that are at the level of where Edmonton and Ottawa are in NASL. I think there are a lot of people who say the right things, but they do not have a clue of what it takes to be a professional team, and the investment it takes. I think a lot of people in Canada want to say the right thing, and that’s we should start our own professional league. You can’t really call yourself a professional team if a player is working at the bank during the day and then going to practice. You’re not professional if a player goes to training and then goes for beer with friends. I will say I believe in the Canadian professional league if there are 12 teams who are professional like Ottawa and Edmonton. But, if it’s Ottawa and Edmonton and 10 semi-pro teams, that’s not a professional league.”

Dos Santos is one of the few Canadian coaches that I admire, and respect for what he's achieved so far in his young career. 

I really like his realistic evaluation of a lot of the issues in Canadian soccer. He also doesn't duck difficult questions with political doublespeak. He gives a straight answer.

Ottawa and Edmonton (in NASL) are giving Canadian players regular minutes, but Canadian MLS teams aren’t offering the same kind of opportunities to domestic players. How does that change?
“To be very honest, there’s very little the clubs can do about it. Look at the Montreal Impact. They got to CONCACAF Champions League final, and they didn’t put a single Canadian player on the field. But there’s no doubt it was good for the club, no doubt it was good for the city. There’s a lot of pressure on a club president and there’s a lot of pressure on the coach. And while there are some Canadian fans who care about Canadians getting playing time, most of that pressure is based on results and getting that team to the playoffs. So, it’s the Canadian Soccer Association that needs the be the one that sets standard. And I think that starts in the Amway. I think if the CSA wants to, it can set standards, that there has to X number of Canadians on each club’s roster for the Amway, and that each club has to start X number of Canadians.”

NASL league and club officials, including Aaron Davidson, shed revealing light on D1 aspirations

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nasl-league-and-club-officials-including-aaron-davidson-shed-revealing-light-on-d1-aspirations/14903504/

For Ottawa Fury President John Pugh, market realities have already cast his club’s lot.

“Our market size and the state of soccer in our market is not such that we could be [considered for MLS],” Pugh says. “With franchise fees upward of $100 million, you’re going to need a much bigger marketplace and supporter base to succeed in MLS. Who knows what the future of soccer in North America might be? We do have this divisional structure, which was put there because of things like stadium size, net worth of the ownership group, etc. It’s difficult to see where that will all fall out. In the short-term, we’re concentrating on our own market and making our own team successful.”

Why US Soccer should consider eliminating designations for D1, D2 and D3

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2015/09/16/why-us-soccer-should-consider-eliminating-designations-for-d1-d2-and-d3/#comment-1039592

The United States structure already has numerous elements in violation of FIFA principles and seemingly contrary to the way game is organized abroad. Thus lifting the division structure, which might seem so foreign or controversial, would simply be the latest in a long line of tweaks to ensure the sport continues to grow in the all-important North American market.

Allowing the three fully professional US leagues (MLS, NASL and USL) to compete in an open marketplace without the potential prejudices of the governing body or the arbitrary nature of the current league standards would give each club and league and opportunity to control their own destiny.

The history of such multi-divisions in the US has some interesting consequences, historically. One is that two leagues which are separate, playing with different rules even, agree to play a final to decide who is better (World Series). And eventually merge, but partially only, keeping rule differences (MLB). 

There is even the history of the NFL, with the AFL, begun by Lamar Hunt in the 60s. They were so strong and so well backed financially they effectively forced a merger with the existing NFL.

In any case, the idea that a single league can be designated D1 is fine, but in the US it has never worked that way: the strongest financially, and usually in sporting terms, won the day. The D1 designation is a way to grow the pro game, but it is arbitrary. And since there is no promotion or relegation, you could interpret it as a trust, where certain teams are in over and above considerations of team quality, fan base, stadium, budget and so on. With US Soccer compliance and even FIFA applying an exemption, which if someone wanted to call them on they could. So I think that yes, you could and even should take it to court. 

What would really be great is if the NASL could force the situation enough to create two divisions including all MLS and NASL teams, and make two tiers, and let them go pro-relegation, it'd be hard financially, perhaps, but amazingly competitive. 

It does bring up an interesting question: without pro:rel what difference does it make? Why have these labels at all?

The only requirement I see is to identify the league from which a CONCACAF Champions League will be filled and that can be changed - and would not even apply to Canada as our only spot is for the winner of the Voyageurs Cup.

What other purpose do the distinctions serve in Canada and the United States?

• 2 weeks later...

Cosmos chief says U.S. Soccer, MLS are trying to 'move the goal' on NASL

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/2637197/cosmos-chief-says-us-soccer-and-mls-move-the-goal-on-nasl

Stover said MLS is also complicit in the proposals, claiming people from the league make up the majority of those who make the decisions for U.S. Soccer.

"How can we ever be first division if you keep changing the rules and your committee is made up of nine people from the MLS, someone from the USL, three from the women's league and [NASL commissioner] Bill Peterson?" Stover said.

The increase to 16 teams comes just as the NASL would meet the previous 12-team requirement with plans to add teams in Miami and Puerto Rico for 2016.

"When the Cosmos joined the NASL, there has been a clear pattern of moving the goal on [NASL], and that is something the Department of Justice looks very negatively upon," Stover said.

Archived