FC Montreal

shermanator

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, good win for them with a bit of an asterix that all of Charleston's Cuban players couldn't cross the border. They are also mixing in more first-teamers and with Grant they have their first USL-contract guy (to my knowledge), which is a more reasonable strategy than sending out a whole team of senior residency guys to get beat up game-after-game/

If I am not mistaken many of the "senior residency guys" are under USL2 contracts, at least two are Beland-Goyette and Messoudi, I assume some of the older players like Riggi, Ndiaye, Bilak and Joly would also have USL2 contracts, maybe Blackdude would have more info.

Yeah, good win for them with a bit of an asterix that all of Charleston's Cuban players couldn't cross the border. They are also mixing in more first-teamers and with Grant they have their first USL-contract guy (to my knowledge), which is a more reasonable strategy than sending out a whole team of senior residency guys to get beat up game-after-game/

He's not their first USL-contract guy, but he's clearly the first player without any previous ties to the Impact to be signed.

I've seen that some of the players have contracts with the USL team

He's not their first USL-contract guy, but he's clearly the first player without any previous ties to the Impact to be signed.

I've seen that some of the players have contracts with the USL team

Which ones? I haven't seen any news that they signed anybody, but they are very tight-lipped about this team and there's almost no media coverage in English.

Which ones? I haven't seen any news that they signed anybody, but they are very tight-lipped about this team and there's almost no media coverage in English.

I can't tell you which ones, but USL has a minimum of  players who have pro contracts and it's clear that Montreal must pay some if not most of their players. They just announced a full roster one day and that was it. If you ask me who is on a pro contract and who is on an amateur contract, I can't tell you. Then again, how can you tell which player is signed and which player is not signed on VFC 2 or TFC II? How would you really know unless you're really close with the player

I can't tell you which ones, but USL has a minimum of  players who have pro contracts and it's clear that Montreal must pay some if not most of their players. They just announced a full roster one day and that was it. If you ask me who is on a pro contract and who is on an amateur contract, I can't tell you. Then again, how can you tell which player is signed and which player is not signed on VFC 2 or TFC II? How would you really know unless you're really close with the player

TFC have mentioned on multiple reports which players are on USL deals (Uccello, Ononye) and who are academy call-ups (Osorio, Godinho).

Don't know about Vancouver, but wouldn't be surprised if none of the players on the team are academy call ups.

TFC have mentioned on multiple reports which players are on USL deals (Uccello, Ononye) and who are academy call-ups (Osorio, Godinho).

Don't know about Vancouver, but wouldn't be surprised if none of the players on the team are academy call ups.

Yes, it's very clear on the other teams who the USL-signed players are, as they had news releases and press conferences for each one. The Impact attitude towards FC Montreal has been pretty strange, the most generous interpretation is that they want to see how the team does for a year before they make a bigger deal out of it.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, last night Eullaffroy put a dagger in his team:

“Tonight, players didn’t show they wanted to win,” said head coach Philippe Eullaffroy. “We are lacking intensity and technical quality. We repeat the same mistakes too often. We didn’t respect the game plan.”

So basically everything was bad. Especially the lacking of intensity and technical quality part is very harsh IMO, in other words he's saying with this group of players, it's impossible to perform. Or he's just not the right coach for this group.

If I was an FC Montreal player, I wouldn't be too happy with a coach that doesn't seem to believe in his team.

Wow, last night Eullaffroy put a dagger in his team:

“Tonight, players didn’t show they wanted to win,” said head coach Philippe Eullaffroy. “We are lacking intensity and technical quality. We repeat the same mistakes too often. We didn’t respect the game plan.”

So basically everything was bad. Especially the lacking of intensity and technical quality part is very harsh IMO, in other words he's saying with this group of players, it's impossible to perform. Or he's just not the right coach for this group.

If I was an FC Montreal player, I wouldn't be too happy with a coach that doesn't seem to believe in his team.

I believe the original quote was"same fucking mistakes". That shows you the level of his frustration.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They seem to have turned a bit of a corner with 2 straight wins and 9 goals scored. Looking at the league table you can really see how much home field matters for almost every team. Has anyone watched their recent games? Impressions? Charles Jolly with a hat trick last game, is he one to watch?

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently things got heated last night, as can be read on Charleston batteries website:

The 41st minute provided the most interesting situation of the first half when Charleston defender Shawn Ferguson was whistled for a foul along the right sideline near the benches. Unfortunately for Ferguson, Montreal forward Charles Joly took exception to him trying to prevent a quick free kick. Joly did his best impression of a hockey player with a hip-check that sent Ferguson to the ground. This caused both teams to converge on the players, and Battery midfielder Ricky Garbanzo was on the receiving end of a two-handed shove from Joly that sent Garbanzo sprawling.

“The referee called a foul on me,” defender Shawn Ferguson said of the incident. “The guy was trying to play it fast and I just got in the way. Next thing I know, he hip-checked me and Ricky got in there and took one to the face.”

The scuffle would earn Joly a straight red card, while Ferguson and Garbanzo each received yellow cards for their roles. The yellow for Garbanzo means he will miss the next match because of yellow card accumulation.

The players weren’t the only ones to get heated late in the half. Both coaches began shouting at each other after the incident and Montreal head coach Phillippe Eullaffroy was seen yelling at fans after the final whistle blew.

Nice example. You want your players to play in front f thousands of people, yet you get yourself engaged in some meaningless argument with opponents fans...

That draw wasn't too bad btw, especially considering Crepeau stopped a penalty kick. 

And another victory. Gagnon-Lapare especially looked very good in this game, he was all over and in compete controle. The American commentators were talking highly about Jonathan Grant as well, who played like a beast. He's got size and speed and can even put in a pass. He's played the last two games for FC Montreal now. 

Archived