Four Nations tournament in China

jonny63

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the result but not sure how to take it. Is Mexico getting stronger? China weak? Anyone watch the game on CCTV?

I caught the tail end of the game this morning.  At times China would string together some good passing but I also saw a lot of long balls and sloppy play.  Mexico seemed to do a good job defending the Chinese attack when it came.  Neither team looked great in my opinion.  I haven't seen Canada's game though so I don't know how we looked in comparison.  You can watch the China-Mexico match highlights here: http://video.sina.com.cn/p/sports/c/v/2015-01-12/002064498101.html 

Filigno showed some promise early in her WNT senior team days as a late game sub that could make something happen against tired defenders. Later on when she started games or played longer stretches it seemed very apparent that she didn't have the stamina to play a whole game and she was rarely effective. Because of her size (or lack of) she doesn't power through defenders like Tancredi and isn't much of an aerial threat.

Lately she reminds me of a less durable version of Kaylyn Kyle; runs a lot but usually without the ball; chases the game rather than using her pace to play off the ball to get open and make space; and when she does end up with the ball usually has a questionable first touch with little chance of making a good pass. At least Kaylyn can tackle to win the ball and is a pretty tough athlete. Not sure what to say about the upside of Jonelle.

Filigno showed some promise early in her WNT senior team days as a late game sub that could make something happen against tired defenders. Later on when she started games or played longer stretches it seemed very apparent that she didn't have the stamina to play a whole game and she was rarely effective. Because of her size (or lack of) she doesn't power through defenders like Tancredi and isn't much of an aerial threat.

Lately she reminds me of a less durable version of Kaylyn Kyle; runs a lot but usually without the ball; chases the game rather than using her pace to play off the ball to get open and make space; and when she does end up with the ball usually has a questionable first touch with little chance of making a good pass. At least Kaylyn can tackle to win the ball and is a pretty tough athlete. Not sure what to say about the upside of Jonelle.

What a great report Sport Shaman.  I think you have a clinical eye and know what you say.  Many times I feel that we mistakenly give too much credit to new players who happen to have a good game or score a goal in their debut.  Later as they play more, nothing else happens and they become a disappointment.  We need to be more concern with "consistency" rather than sporadic brightness.

I didn't get the chance to see any of this tournament. It seems to me that scoring two goals apiece against Mexico, South Korea and China is good (if not somewhat expected).

Should we be worried though that we let in a goal from each of those teams? How was the defence/goaltending in general?

This tournament seemed to be about getting Labbé minutes in goal.  I only saw bits of the tournament but she was in goal every time I tuned in.  I know Karina LeBlanc got one half in, but it might have been Labbé the rest of the time.  One of the goals was a PK.

Archived