WWC2015 Group Draw - Dec 6

Tuscan

Group draw for next year's WWC happens on the 6th. Seems all sports media are playing ball and trying to generate as much awareness and interest in the lead up as they can (obviously they have a $$ vested interest in people paying attention - literally and figuratively). What would be our dream draw? I know there's at least 1 last qualifier to happen tomorrow between the Trinis and Ecuador, so make your pick out of those two for who makes it if you post before that tie is decided. I can't even offer speculation as I'm not familiar with the draw system they'll be using.

To repost this from another thread (good analysis from Blackdude):

It's not like Pot B is necessarly stronger than Pot C or D. Usually, Pot D is the strongest of the remaining 4 pots because it's with the European teams.

I think that Pot A will be one of two scenarios.

Let's all assume that Canada, France, Germany, US and Japan are seeded. The 6th seed will either be Brazil or Sweden. (They could give it to the top 5 women's team or to a team in another conference that might be just as strong)

If it's Brazil. You have this:

4 Asian teams, 6 European teams, 1 Oceanian team, 3 African teams, 2-3 CONCACAF teams, 1-2 CONMEBOL team.

Europe gets its own pot.

If Trinidad gets the last spot

Asia, CONMEBOL and Oceania get their pot.

CONCACAF and Africa gets their pot.

Canada will get an African and an European team, but getting Thailand is much different than Australia

If Ecuador gets the last spot.

Africa is matched with Oceania and one between CONCACAF-CONMEBOL.  (I'm going to assume it's CONMEBOL like in 2011)

Asia is matched between the other American conference. (I'll assume it's CONCACAF like in 2011)

So, you get an European and an Asian team plus one wild card.

Now if Sweden gets seeded, that is a different animal. Now you have 5 UEFA teams, 1 OFC, 2-3 CONCACAF, 2-3 CONMEBOL, 3 CAF and 4 AFC.

So UEFA-OFC gets one group.

AFC-losing confederation gets one.

CAF-winning confederation gets one.

So we have:

UEFA:

Norway

England

Switzerland

Germany

Spain

France

Sweden

The Netherlands

AFC:

China

South Korea

Japan

Australia

Thailand

OFC:

New Zealand

CONCACAF:

Canada

USA

Costa Rica

Mexico

CONMEBOL:

Brazil

Colombia

Ecuador

CAF:

Nigeria

Cameroon

Côte d'Ivoire

While I was disappointed Canada won't be making an appearance in my city Winnipeg, I have to say I am pretty excited with the draw we got. We got the group of death including USA... Plus Germany and Japan will be playing games here too in their round closers! Can't wait...

Not bad at all.  Ladies should be able to manage that I'd think.  Give them a chance to find their rythym and work through the jitters. 

Group D, yikes.  That should be the one to watch (and I'm going to miss it!  Bugger!).  Someone will be going home earlier than expected me thinks.  GOOD.  Make for some great fun.

--- I WILL BE POSTING FULL CEREMONY AND DRAW VIDEO IN ANOTHER THREAD ---

GROUP A

-CANADA

-China

-New Zealand

-Netherlands

GROUP B

-Germany

-Cote D'Ivoire

-Norway

-Thailand

GROUP C

-Japan

-Switzerland

-Cameroon

-Ecuador

GROUP D

-USA

-Australia

-Sweden

-Nigeria

GROUP E

-Brazil

-South Korea

-Spain

-Costa Rica

GROUP F

-France

-England

-Colombia

-Mexico

I don't see any of the top seeds being ousted in any group.  I think that by going to six groups and a round of 16, it has made it much less likely that a good team won't make it out of the group stage.  I don't think we were especially lucky in this draw, since we don't have a weak team in our group.

Canada should not underestimate the competition in Group A.   China only lost to Japan 2-1 in the semi-finals of the 2014 AFC Women's Asian Cup and finished the tournament in third place.   Hannah Wilkinson , University of Tennessee and New Zealand Women National Team ( Football Ferns )  striker scored  2 goals in 2 games against the US Women's National Team in 2013. Other than Sinclair, what Canadian player has even scored one goal  against the USWNT in recent years ?  The Netherlands, led by Melis and Martens, lost to Canada in 2013, but the emergence of 18 year old Vivianne Miedema in 2014 has given the Netherlands a dangerous trio on offence. More specifically, in 2014, Miedema scored 2 goals in four games  in the Cyprus Cup; scored 5  goals in 10 games for Bayern Munchen in Frauen Bundesliga 1; and scored 16 goals in 13 games in World Cup qualifying. If you add the Cyprus Cup totals to World Cup Qualifying totals you get 18 goals scored in 17 games or a goal a game for her country. Miedema is basically a young "Christine Sinclair" for the Netherlands.

in 2014, Miedema scored 2 goals in four games  in the Cyprus Cup; scored 5  goals in 10 games for Bayern Munchen in Frauen Bundesliga 1; and scored 16 goals in 13 games in World Cup qualifying. If you add the Cyprus Cup totals to World Cup Qualifying totals you get 18 goals scored in 17 games or a goal a game for her country.

The 16 goals in qualifying included a half dozen on Portugal and four on Greece who each gave up 50 goals.  

Miedema has scored in 2 of Bayern's 12 games, and both were routs of weak teams in the relegation zone.  She has never scored on a quality professional team.

Hard to tell as we don't play many weak teams like the Dutch did in qualifying.  I've seen her live a few times.  She's a great young 1996 who also scores on good international sides, just not as frequently.  A classic finisher.  The difference in her case vis-a-vis Canadians is doing what some unmentionable male ex-Canadians did and left for quality international club soccer at a fairly young age.  There's a big difference between training twice a week with the Port Carling Rockets U17 or 10 weeks a year with a school team and every day with Bayern Munich.

Was the U.S. women playing on grass today? because they lost 3-2 to Brazil after being up 2-0. Good old Marta showed them how is done!

Her three goals were pretty scary. Yikes!

This result helps with the 'US not playing well right now' narrative that I need to believe (in reference to China drawing them 1-1).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived