Loss of the National Football Stadium

Trillium

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something the prima donnas won't play on but the world governing body says is just fine.

Haha.

So its useless for the Men's National Team, as expected.

Has nothing to do with being primadonnas, real grass simply is better for the game of soccer.

Now I understand why you support the Argos to BMO Field move. You simply don't give a shit about the playing surface.

And yet the US team played a WC Qualifier against Panama last June in Seattle.  Hmmm!

And unlike you I'm providing real world examples and not my own made up generalizations.  How long did it take you to find the Houston horror story that I did everything but give you the url to.

So apparently you said there were zero examples of groundsharing and yet you mentioned Houston.  I'm confused!

And yet the US team played a WC Qualifier against Panama last June in Seattle.  Hmmm!

And unlike you I'm providing real world examples and not my own made up generalizations.  How long did it take you to find the Houston horror story that I did everything but give you the url to.

So apparently you said there were zero examples of groundsharing and yet you mentioned Houston.  I'm confused!

They brought in grass for this game! (Vancouver even played one MLS game on it because it was around the same time).

I didn't have to look up the Houston horror story. I remember when it happened because I follow MLS. I also follow stadium playing surfaces much like you claim to.

I said there are zero examples where ground-sharing soccer and football on grass works.

You still haven't provided any working examples of shared football and soccer stadiums on grass.

But whatever, its obvious that you are biased and will support the Argo move despite the lack of proof that it can work.

If you call not "working" an occasional horror story because of bad scheduling, there's nothing I can say to please you.  Few things in this life are perfect.

We could argue semantics all day long, fact is it's a fait a compli, so you better get used to it.  Might be interesting to see if the Argos whine about the soccer players wrecking their field, seeing as that's what the expert says happens.

Just curious, the USMNT played two games last year at Dallas and Baltimore, did they bring in turf for both?

If you call not "working" an occasional horror story because of bad scheduling, there's nothing I can say to please you.  Few things in this life are perfect.

Bad scheduling will happen with playoffs and Champions League and other events.

Why would a Toronto and Canadian soccer fan want to ruing a field that works now just because 'few things in this life are perfect'. That's a bad reason for wanting the Argo's to come to BMO Field and screw up the playing surface.

But you've shown you are biased on this. You simply don't give a shit about the playing surface.

Tim L already said there's no way fieldturf is coming back.  We're going to have hybrid grass (which we should had to begin with) that a lot of top EPL teams have installed in their stadiums.  So can we end this field turf talk?  

Tim L already said there's no way fieldturf is coming back.  We're going to have hybrid grass (which we should had to begin with) that a lot of top EPL teams have installed in their stadiums.  So can we end this field turf talk?  

The thing is though we don't know for sure if soccer and football will work effectively on hybrid. At the end of the day a hybrid field is still over 90% grass.

Its a leap of faith that it will work. Or that MLSE will even want to spend the money on it.

One more thing: if Argos mess up turf, then I am sure they will repair and pay for it (or city pay for it).   

Biggest issue should be stands moving back permanently to fit CFL field size.   

The City will not be paying for it. No way whatsoever. Its all on MLSE to make it work.

The retractable stands is a whole other kettle of fish. I'm worried that they may blow too much of the renovation budget on that.

Remember this is still in the preliminary stages. The final design hasn't been decided on. We don't know if any aspects will be come to costly and changed to fit the project budget.

But you've shown you are biased on this. You simply don't give a shit about the playing surface.

Yes, that's been established, I said it above, I don't give a poop about it.  I'm neither a TFC or Argo fan.  In fact, the turf will likely be worse for the Argos than an artificial surface.

What gets me is the incessant whining from some (not all) TFC fans.  MLSE is trying to do the right thing by you (whether you believe it or not) and you whine.  You get to keep the turf, get a new stadium, big signings and complain because you had the house to yourself and now you have to share.  You want to hog all the NT games when we presently have far better facilities to play them at (all playing surface arguments aside).  You've got people threatening to cancel their seasons just because something didn't go their way.  WTF kind of support is that?  If you don't want to support the team through good times and bad, leave and let the true fans carry on.  I'm just tired of reading that crap.

The thing is though we don't know for sure if soccer and football will work effectively on hybrid. At the end of the day a hybrid field is still over 90% grass.

Its a leap of faith that it will work. Or that MLSE will even want to spend the money on it.

You're right, but I am sure there will be clauses in contract if Argos mess up the turf that either they or city will pay for repair costs. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid idea to bring Argos to BMO field (they should go back to their roots and play at Varsity Stadium), but reality is that City of Toronto is pretty much forcing MLSE to take Argos if MLSE wants to upgrade BMO field so they can host more events (mostly Winter Classic  which MLSE is hell bent hosting at BMO field in couple of years to celebrate Maple Leafs 100th anniversary).  

Biggest issue should be stands moving back permanently to fit CFL field size.   

I'm going by what the expert said, I think the biggest issue will be line removal.  Not that lines will be faintly visible or not, and we don't know that yet, because we don't know what kind of paint or removal process they will use.  I would be more worried about harming the grass (from line removal) and not having sufficient time for it to regenerate.

But if it's a Desso surface that apparently stands up well to football, then hopefully the turf could recover from line removal over the course of a week.

You're right, but I am sure there will be clauses in contract if Argos mess up the turf that either they or city will pay for repair costs. 

Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid idea to bring Argos to BMO field (they should go back to their roots and play at Varsity Stadium), but reality is that City of Toronto is pretty much forcing MLSE to take Argos if MLSE wants to upgrade BMO field so they can host more events (mostly Winter Classic  which MLSE is hell bent hosting at BMO field in couple of years to celebrate Maple Leafs 100th anniversary).  

I have a feeling this ends with MLSE owning the Argos. It will make sense once they move to BMO Field. Also fully expect a bump in Argo attendance and buzz to coincide with the move. And everyone will be talking about what geniuses MLSE are (like the praise people use to give Beirne and Anselmi for TFC).

And like I've said previously, this entire thing is about hosting NHL outdoor games for the Leafs. TFC and Argo's aren't the driving factor in all of this. Its the reason why I'm not confident it will work out.

Haha.

So its useless for the Men's National Team, as expected.

Has nothing to do with being primadonnas, real grass simply is better for the game of soccer.

Now I understand why you support the Argos to BMO Field move. You simply don't give a shit about the playing surface.

lol

Prices on Kook Aid must be lower than I thought for you to drink so much.

And like I've said previously, this entire thing is about hosting NHL outdoor games for the Leafs. TFC and Argo's aren't the driving factor in all of this. Its the reason why I'm not confident it will work out.

That's why I don't like to see the acrimony between the Argos and TFC.  They're the low men on the totem pole and should stick together.  If it came down to MLSE decisions regarding the Leafs, Raptors and God forbid NFL, TFC would be an afterthought.

People have stated it but I don't see the outdoor games pushing this whole situation.  The NHL is killing the golden goose by overscheduling these outdoor games.  If MLSE can't see that, both TFC and the Argos will be in for a sorry future.  The idea was to play games in iconic settings (or a place where you could get a humongous crowd) and that was the attraction.  They have nowhere left to go now (marketing wise)  The novelty will soon wear out because they're overdoing it.

I have a feeling this ends with MLSE owning the Argos. It will make sense once they move to BMO Field. Also fully expect a bump in Argo attendance and buzz to coincide with the move. And everyone will be talking about what geniuses MLSE are (like the praise people use to give Beirne and Anselmi for TFC).

Yeah, MLSE is currently negotiating to buy Argos.  As for Argo fanbase, I assume they will always get their 20,000 plus crowd coming to their games, but in the long term, I could see Argo fans complaining about BMO field and how doesn't feel like their home (like currently whining about at Rogers Centre)

We all know Maple Leafs run sports landscape in this city so we can't do much about them.   This is why you see supporters not bother fighting/protesting against MLSE about BMO field renovation.  

Too bad CSA remain silent since stadium was built for them to host national soccer games and events.   

That's why I don't like to see the acrimony between the Argos and TFC.  They're the low men on the totem pole and should stick together.  If it came down to MLSE decisions regarding the Leafs, Raptors and God forbid NFL, TFC would be an afterthought.

People have stated it but I don't see the outdoor games pushing this whole situation.  The NHL is killing the golden goose by overscheduling these outdoor games.  If MLSE can't see that, both TFC and the Argos will be in for a sorry future.  The idea was to play games in iconic settings (or a place where you could get a humongous crowd) and that was the attraction.  They have nowhere left to go now (marketing wise)  The novelty will soon wear out because they're overdoing it.

In this market, Toronto Maple Leafs can play anywhere and they'll still sell out their games.  Outdoor game wouldn't be an issue in Toronto.  

There's too much money to make from hosting Maple Leaf game at BMO field.   

but in the long term, I could see Argo fans complaining about BMO field and how doesn't feel like their home (like currently whining about at Rogers Centre)

That's one thing I don't see, if you mean it will look like TFC's home, Lieweke said neither team would know the other played there when the reno is done.

I don't think too many Argo fans will miss the lack of atmosphere at Rogers.  TFC wouldn't fare any better there with 20k empty seats.

Archived