The CSA marketing folks are ....

So tonight i want to watch Vancouver and Montreal live on the net, no streaming from MLS live which i have paid for the message... is

This game is blacked out in your area because the

game is available on national or local television.

Please check your local listings for the game,

or go to MLSsoccer.com for more information

National television I guess is Sportsnet who does not stream the games it just cable... i tried Illico the videotron site but seems i cant buy the game there ether.

CSA marketing guru.... you do not need to black out the whole country on the web.... stream the freaking games next year, or put them on an off the air channel.

What a way to kill a product.

So tonight i want to watch Vancouver and Montreal live on the net, no streaming from MLS live which i have paid for the message... is

This game is blacked out in your area because the

game is available on national or local television.

Please check your local listings for the game,

or go to MLSsoccer.com for more information

National television I guess is Sportsnet who does not stream the games it just cable... i tried Illico the videotron site but seems i cant buy the game there ether.

CSA marketing guru.... you do not need to black out the whole country on the web.... stream the freaking games next year, or put them on an off the air channel.

What a way to kill a product.

Why weren't you at Frappe Doug? Game was live there on 6 or 7 tvs!

I don't see how the media industry in general still operating in the stone ages to protect their 'assets' is the CSA's fault.

So what's the alternative, then?

I mean, let's look at the current scenario, for instance:

CSA has 'property' (i.e. Voyageurs Cup)... Sportsnet pays CSA money for broadcast rights for 'property'... CSA gets money to reinvest in property; in exchange, Sportsnet determines how property can be broadcast

So what is the alternative scenario wherein people get easy access to the game and the CSA still gets paid?

Sportsnet not the CSA needs to be asked nicely to stream the games. A few more people to watch the commercials online along with the cable crowd. I for one fail to see how it would hurt Sportsnet to stream.

Nice to see a lot of bars have the game on multiple TVs and even better that the game was a totally amazing, action packed thriller. That will help more than anything else.

Or you could, y'know, get cable.

I could but cable in Ottawa is by Rogers, they happen to own a certain Toronto sport Franchise, I prefer not to support them and their corporate subjection of long suffering Toronto FC football fans ( including you ) hence I am not tethered to the folks at Rogers for Cable.

This is the CSA's fault only in the sense that they signed a contract to televise the Voyageurs Cup nationally and therefore MLS Live doesn't have the rights to broadcast in Canada. I agree that these national blackout things are insane 20th-century bull**** (hey, Sportsnet, here's an idea, I give you money and you show me sports so I don't have to pay $100 a month for ****ing gardening channels) but that ain't on the CSA.

Grizz...

I had full confidence the Impact was going to win and thus lead to the Zacatecas Five being able to travel once again to Mexico and into the cauldron of fun and frolic only a time in Zacatecas can bring. Thus the fuel cost of driving to Frappe and sitting with you has been put in my Z5 jar to follow the Impact as they move through the CCL.

I don't see how the media industry in general still operating in the stone ages to protect their 'assets' is the CSA's fault.
The CSA owns the property, if they made deal to sell Television Rights and all Media Rights with out a guarantee that live streaming ( on a pay per view cost or free ) was not part of the package they have made a Marketing error.

The Rights agreement logically is for all media ( one supposes ) but you have to then ensure your product is exposed on all media, or you negogiate a reduced payment for the cable showing on Sportsnet and get right to stream the feed on your own CSA web channel be it via YouTube or some other web based process.

Hell I think a TV deal on over the air channel is a better deal for the CSA ( less revenue perhaps ) but much greater exposure of the property, with solid TV numbers in the Number one and two TV markets in Canada the game with ( yes hindsight ) no Canadian teams left in hockey playoffs may have had very good numbers nationally.

Sundays National team game for the women, could draw on the over air outlets in the range of 1 million plus viewers.

" And with the tournament available on over-the-air television through CBC and SRC, "every ma and pop restaurant and café could put a TV out with rabbit ears and watch the World Cup."

Online streaming of the final game at CBCSports.ca drew 231,649." For the South African World cup.... final watchers in Canada was 5.8 million, so on line was 5% of viewing, and this was in 2010, in the last two years on line streaming has been growing. I would expect streaming to now be in range of 10 to 15% for majour soccer events, that is a lot of eyes and lot of pay per clicks on ads.

At least you recognize something is in the Stone Ages.... I think its the CSA and their Media partners.

I don't think the Voyageurs cup final is such a hot property the CSA can wield it like a club over the people that operate the infrastructure for providing us with what we want.

I don't know what the model would be to fix this ala squizz's question.

My reference to the stone age, is that the only thing keeping TV alive at all is live sports, the rights to stuff and the total unwillingness of the gatekeepers of all of this stuff to change.

As big as TV still is as we know it, it's dead tech walking.

I could but cable in Ottawa is by Rogers, they happen to own a certain Toronto sport Franchise, I prefer not to support them and their corporate subjection of long suffering Toronto FC football fans ( including you ) hence I am not tethered to the folks at Rogers for Cable.

OK, fine, that's your decision to make. But that's not the CSA's fault, or their problem.

Option might exist for the CSA to carrying a stream of the SportsNet broadcast in cases where SportsNet doesn't (free or as a PPV). Agreed that if that option doesn't exist it should. It may just be that the CSA isn't willing to take on the expense of it because they feel there is no reasonable market for the service when the match is covered wall to wall on subscription cable.

I got to watch the match in HD. I had to buy a subscription to do that. Around my place that's a rare case of money well spent.

I kinda get where trillium is coming from here.

The ITC (UK's version of the CRTC) determines that certain events are of national importance (and ones which pre-date the mass media age) such as the FA Cup final, the Grand National, the Boat race (for some god forsaken reason) and Wimbledon (again...why?) are events that have remain available to be aired live on free to air services. Thus most of these are BBC offerings. In the case of the FACup the FA cannot sell exclusive rights for the final to BSKYB , as it has no national free to air coverage. What it has meant is that the FA has to be inventive in rights issues. Thus the FACup remains strong even when its position as the English domestic seasons curtain closer is been usurped by Play-offs and later resolutions to the EPL. I note that in the five years I have been in Canada it been getting easier to watch the FACUP final.

The CSA does not have a CTRC restriction to force its hand, but if it did package its (hate to say the word) product in bundles with a view to getting more exposure, nationally then the divided in spreading the Pro-game may prove more beneficial in the long run. Of course we may just indeed be a total bunch of I'm all right jack's who's attitude is " I paid my Cable, Screw you". but that won't help when in 20 years its still just a subordinate five team tournament that gets in the way of the MLS schedule. Out of interest , anyone know if the CSA is a Not-for-Profit like the FA?

Oh, and who won by the way?.

Its Okay, Found it on twitter.

well done Grizz! aller blancs! ou allez les bleus ... et tout ça, non?

Actually I had School Futsal to attend to.

Finals should be played on Saturdays or Sundays don't you think?

Yea 2 games and 2 draws and the Impact go through with 2-0 in away goals.

It would be nice to have the finals on a weekend but given league play these will almost always be on weekdays.

Grizz...

I had full confidence the Impact was going to win and thus lead to the Zacatecas Five being able to travel once again to Mexico and into the cauldron of fun and frolic only a time in Zacatecas can bring. Thus the fuel cost of driving to Frappe and sitting with you has been put in my Z5 jar to follow the Impact as they move through the CCL.

I'll start saving. A trip with you two would be a real hoot. :)

I'll start saving. A trip with you two would be a real hoot. :)

There is a training regime, pm Grizz and he can give you the 101 Basics, it involves a number of activities that will help build your stamina and get you to "on tour ready" ( it can be good to get liver function test pre trip to have baseline on any function problems when you return ).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28012750@N06/3322270626/

If we get to Monterrey... you really need to go with Grizz... they call him El Grande.

Yea 2 games and 2 draws and the Impact go through with 2-0 in away goals.

It would be nice to have the finals on a weekend but given league play these will almost always be on weekdays.

which is not a help to selling the game as a whole. especially in the middle of NHL playoff month.

There is a training regime, pm Grizz and he can give you the 101 Basics, it involves a number of activities that will help build your stamina and get you to "on tour ready" ( it can be good to get liver function test pre trip to have baseline on any function problems when you return ).

If we get to Monterrey... you really need to go with Grizz... they call him El Grande.

Unfortunately (or fortunately if we factor in the danger potential) no chance of Monterrey this year. The 4 Mexican teams are Tijuana, America, Toluca and Cruz Azul. We can only get Tijuana or America in the first round. Tijuana might be a bit dicey although it has calmed down a bit compared to a few years ago. The other 3 teams are either in Mexico City or close to Mexico City so a lot calmer. The draw is on June 3rd. Here is a link with info on the draw: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013–14_CONCACAF_Champions_League

This year if they play in Mexico, it will be either in the capital or San Diego South.

EDIT: (Sorry Grizz, didn't see your post, prior to that, can't find the delete button for some godsaken reason.)

which is not a help to selling the game as a whole. especially in the middle of NHL playoff month.

The ideal, as others have mentioned would be to have it available on an OTA channel, like CBC, CTV or Global (and their equivalents around the country). The problem is that CBC is playing hockey at the same time and CTV/Global already have their Wednesday line-ups set and is right in the middle of the 'sweeps weeks' so the US networks are pumping out cameo-filled cliffhangers. Unfortunately, there's more viewers for those shows then for the VC and CTV & Global will go where the money is.

The one chance we'll get is that whoever has rights to the next World Cup may want to pick up some extra soccer coverage, much like how CBC was broadcasting TFC games back in 2010.

Archived