Shaun Saiko

James

Saiko is doing great, 5G 2A in 8GP for a Central Attacking Mid. Wouldn't be surprised if he transfers to one of the Scandanavian leagues after this season. Forget MLS, he'll just rot on the bench for one of the Cdn teams...

Adding Saiko makes a lot of sense, but it seems rather unlikely. The quality of opposition questions will constantly dog any NASL player unfortunately.

I don't know the answer to this question so I thought I'd ask: who is the last NASL/USL to be called up for a MNT game? Did they make an appearance or were the stuck on the bench?

Jason

Adding Saiko makes a lot of sense, but it seems rather unlikely. The quality of opposition questions will constantly dog any NASL player unfortunately.

I don't know the answer to this question so I thought I'd ask: who is the last NASL/USL to be called up for a MNT game? Did they make an appearance or were the stuck on the bench?

Jason

Charles Gbeke got cap-tied in the last WCQ's in 2008. Not sure since then, maybe Gerba?

In answer to the question I have a best guess as Ali Gerba too...but I know Martin Nash used to get called up from the Caps in 2nd tier too a few years back, quite often.

Saiko rocks I think he has a lot of skill. Watched a nice highlight package of his hat trick a few weeks ago.

All the players being listed have played in bigger leagues and were the finished product when called. Those guys have shown that they can compete at higher levels and had the experience and sample size that a coach can look at and have a good idea of what they are getting. Saiko is still young, and I think its a different scenario. I do think he can be playing at a higher level but I'd like him to show that, hopefully he can make the next step, but until then I'd be a bit hesitant of calling him in.

Saiko has been used on the wide left for most of the season, which is not his natural position but he's adapted to it quite well. You'll see the 2nd of his 2 wondergoals against Carolina came off the left channel. He was used more on the right last season.

Check this, 12:00 and 15:40

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22412651

Thanks! Two more beauties, for sure.

It's so hard (at least for me) to try to envision this being repeated as an MLS player or CMNT player. He gets so much space which would never happen given better opposition. NASL is really very poor now despite the recent USOC MLS losses, so it's hard to compare this success to the days of Nash or Gerba when NASL/USL was a much more talented and competitive league.

That said, Saiko has such a sweet strike with that right foot of his and I do believe he exhibits a lot of sound footballing skills, in some cases creating that aforementioned space by making a nice little touch here or there. If we lose Hutch or DDR then I say bring him in and let him learn the ropes like Piette.

• 2 years later...

I was willing, as many were, to blame management when he was cut from Edmonton. He really seems to have flopped for the second time, though, which might mean the end of his career, unless he fancies starting from scratch in second tier Finland or something.

He is pretty much a poster boy for unrealized Canadian talent, the kind of guy you look at at 18 y/o and think, wow this could be our next big thing. Pity, like with Paul Hamilton, I really liked the things he brought to the game.