U-23s Called Up for WCQ

Sam

How many U-23's do you think we'll see during the WCQ's?

I really hope Piette and Cavallini are given. shots since both of them play in positions where we could use a little depth (up front and defensive midfielder). I also wouldn't be completely surprised if REB or Henry are given a shot if we run into injury trouble during June.

Hart pretty much ruled out Misiewicz already, Attakora has obviously been involved in the last 2 MNT camps but his lack of a club will probably see him left out. I think we'll see Piette and Cavallini brought into camp.

I do not know if I am convinced about Cavallini yet. I don't think he has enough pace to play at the senior international level. His strength is that he is strong on the ball, not a quality that will steal you a result. Pace on the other hand I always welcome. I think if we are going to bring in any U-23's it should be REB.

I don't think any of them are ready skill or experience wise to play in WCQ yet, the only one I can see is REB due to his blistering pace and he has been playing in B2. Many show lots of potential, but I don't think many of them are playing consistantly enough at a high enough level to warrant the chance at making the WCQ squad, for a camp I say bring a bunch of them in and let them mix with the main squad.

If Ricketts remains out of work for long REB may be asked to step in and replace his speed off of the bench, which I have no problem with whatsoever. Misiewicz is probably our fifth or sixth best keeper at the moment and is definitely one to keep in the rolodex.

REB deserves a call for sure. Haber hasn't been discussed here, but has been used by Hart before, and is one of the only ones playing regularly at a high level. Cavllini and Piette aren't getting 1st team minutes to my knowledge (hell Piette isn't even technically signed), so no dice for either. I could see Henry being brought in for cover at RB, particularly if he starts to log minutes there with TFC, as he did in the V's cup match last week. Morgan (right age range, but wasn't with the U23's technically) is a call up for sure. Another player that hasn't been talked about here is Fresenga. He bossed 6'3"/trained with Arsenal, Brek Shea and generally handled himself quite well against all comers, including Mexico. I'm not sure what kind of first team action he's seeing for his club, but if any, I would imagine he'd be a candidate for at least getting invited to a camp, given our aforementioned lack of depth at RB. Attakora and Davies need to find clubs, Tiebert needs to start at least making it into the game day 18, and other than that the rest are just globally not ready at this point, including Misiewicz, but he's definitely one to watch.

Last I heard Ricketts is still at Timisoara but he hasn't been paid for 4 months so he is free to leave. I can stand corrected.

The only player in the above list who must get a shot is REB.

Piette is far too young and not playing first team football (Joe DiChiara is way ahead of him in this regard and just a few years older). So no, he can't have a shot. I don't know Cavallini's situation. If he's in the first team down there then yes he can get called-up if others are injured.

A player I've loved in the u23 games and the very few TFC games I've seen of him is HENRY. He is ahead of Attakora as Henry is playing with a club. Attakora has apparently signed to a west coast MLS team but nothing official and only guesses as to which team that is.

Teibert was not mentioned above and if he can somehow get into the Whitecaps side he'd be a player who should get a call-up. The same goes for Aleman in Spain.

Otherwise the rest of the u23's need focus solely on club soccer. Well, I suppose all the above youngsters need focus on club soccer but you catch my drift.

Henry in camp would be alright, good for the experience, TFC may need him more though. Teibert is possible because he showed well enough at the U23 tourney, Vancouver wouldn't care to let him go to camp since they don't use him.

Although Cavallini impressed during the U-23 tournament, and short after that he signed a professional contract, he needs yet to get some playing time with his club first team. These days he's not even in the bench, so unless he starts getting some playing time, it would be unfair IMO to call him instead of other players.

Someone I'd love to see is DiChiara but it seems he's struggling to get his place with the first team too. Too bad (I wonder if that's the reason uno stopped to post here in the forum).

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that Piette was the only one of these guys called up after a pretty decent tournament. Although I still struggle to find someone on this roster right now and say a replacement from the U-23s would be better.

Maybe Henry or Fresenga for Ledgerwood.

Archived