Is it just me, or has sportsnet.ca ramped up it's Canadian soccer coverage?

shermanator

I've noticed a lot more articles on Canadian soccer on the website. It seems that they now have dedicated columnists for all 3 MLS teams, have added 2 or 3 MNT blogs, and recently introduced the podcast for "Some Canadian Guys Talking About Soccer".

Anyone else notice the change? I'm liking it...

I think a lot of it is thanks to their new magazine. They brought in Jamie Doyle as a senior editor for that, they brought over John Molinaro as writing talent, a lot of bloggers have sent pieces the magazine's way, and that stuff gets cross-posted to the website. It's excellent, obviously.

Soccer is getting them ratings it's that simple and now they have 5 sports channels to fill up so they need content.

Also the writing is on the wall that with 3 MLS teams and a chance at the world cup that there is a lot more interest in soccer in Canada. In the past the interest has been very fragmented but now with top level soccer in the 3 largest Canadian markets we're seeing concentration of that interest.

They're just offering up more supply to meet the demand.

It definitely seems that they are banking on the growth of soccer interest in this country with all the resources they are pouring into NA soccer coverage. The European coverage has always been there more or less, but the recent boost in NA articles and blog commentaries is definitely a calculated risk. I assume they are trying to prove the network's credibility to us NA soccer fans (the anti-Eurosnob group) by broadening their coverage in order to legitimize keeping the Nats as well as the Canadian MLS rights.

Remember not too long ago we were all hoping TSN would step up and take over both the MLS coverage and the Nats coverage. Perhaps this got Sportsnet thinking that keeping those properties wasn't all wrapped up like it used to be.

What you're noticing is entirely intentional. When Sportsnet brought Molinaro over from the CBC, one of his priorities was to expand the website's coverage of Canadian soccer. The soccer section of the website is his baby. From a big-picture point of view, considering that Sportsnet has the TV rights to broadcast the Canadian national teams, it makes sense for them to try and promote that product on their other platforms.

Frankly, I'd encourage anyone who's bemoaned the lack of mainstream coverage in the past (which is to say, all of us) to get behind the move and let Molinaro know what you think of the changes. Positive feedback can only help reassure Sportsnet that Canadian soccer is worth its time and resources. And I'm not saying that as a Sportsnet contributor, I'm saying it as a Voyageur.

Also, to clarify somewhat, the columns that appear on sportsnet.ca are specifically for the website, they're not repurposed from the magazine.

What you're noticing is entirely intentional. When Sportsnet brought Molinaro over from the CBC, one of his priorities was to expand the website's coverage of Canadian soccer. The soccer section of the website is his baby. From a big-picture point of view, considering that Sportsnet has the TV rights to broadcast the Canadian national teams, it makes sense for them to try and promote that product on their other platforms.

Frankly, I'd encourage anyone who's bemoaned the lack of mainstream coverage in the past (which is to say, all of us) to get behind the move and let Molinaro know what you think of the changes. Positive feedback can only help reassure Sportsnet that Canadian soccer is worth its time and resources. And I'm not saying that as a Sportsnet contributor, I'm saying it as a Voyageur.

Also, to clarify somewhat, the columns that appear on sportsnet.ca are specifically for the website, they're not repurposed from the magazine.

I've sent a comment in to their feedback section praising John and giving kudos to the recent increase in coverage. Perhaps others here should do the same?

Also, I suggested having a regular column on FC Edmonton would help fans keep track of some good local talent as well. Would love to see this!

I've noticed a lot more articles on Canadian soccer on the website. It seems that they now have dedicated columnists for all 3 MLS teams, have added 2 or 3 MNT blogs, and recently introduced the podcast for "Some Canadian Guys Talking About Soccer".

Anyone else notice the change? I'm liking it...

They have. They now have writers from RedNation Online, WakingtheRed, and Some Canadian Guys (CSN) plus the SCG podcast.

You know we should maybe unveil a banner thanking Sportsnet? They have played the Canada games forever and up until the last 5 years had the 3 EPL games in the morning. Now with footy taking off TSN will continue there tradition of buying up the hottest property and we'll lose coverage. We should thank sportsnet the first Canada game that TSN broadcasts.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived