6/26/2011: Canada v. Germany

Vic

Time to get the party started.

As we discovered a year ago in Dresden, and the entire world that summer, beating the Germans at home is easier on the chalkboard than on the field.

1283074_full-lnd.jpg

They are as complete a team as has ever been assembled in women's soccer. From front to back strong. Organized, well prepared, and above all else serious. To say the Germans don't [insert 4-letter of your choice] around is putting it mildly. They will play at an extremely fast pace and with a skill level we haven't seen in half a year (and rarely do). They will be confident, unrelenting and give no quarter, not even a fraction of an ounce.

You would be hard-pressed to find someone to argue they aren't better skilled, stronger, smarter, faster. Unfortunately for them though, the game is about much more than that. I think our chances of denying them points are good, especially if it rains heavy. Let the skies open.

The guy in the video below is the Kaiser:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Italians went down 0-5 in Osnabrück with the Germans wearing their new Adidas kit. Italy pushed the Americans in their playoff for the final World Cup berth, going down 0-1 in both legs. Our last result against the Azzuri was 1-0 in Cyprus off a Jonelle Filigno left-footer in the first half.

09_74.jpg

We also know the new kit gives pretty well:

1438570_full-lnd.jpg

I think a lot of the tone of this thread has been just how awesome the Germans are and therefore pre supposing an excuse to our team if we do not get a result in Germany.

Most of you guys need a good dose of Own the Podium.

Factor to win, good mental state, focus and heart.

The German team will be caught up in media efforts and hoopla all week, our team will be able to focus on the issue at hand, train and visualize the game in the stadia, we will have few if any distractions, the CSA will not have any hosted events as they are planning nothing in support of team at this point. Morace has them all to herself to get them in the right head space, I think they are almost there from what players are saying .... just a few killer tweaks and the unit will be fine.

I think the Germans are going to be just as intimidated by the 80k in the stadia a the Canadians .... all players get that rush and tingle of excitement and nervousness, but if we play rope a dope and absorb the German offence the longer and longer we are at 0 to 0 the greater the pressure on Germany not on us.

We will need to go forward to win, but we can do that off the counter attack rather then rain to hope for, I would want a summer heat wave....bring on the humidity and heat and let the Germans run.... as we play short controlling balls then counter attack when its on.

Tactics in the game will be paramount, I think Morace can be a willy as anyone coaching on the women's side.

Sinclair if she is to remain a leader or the leader on this team will need to work like the horse she can be, she needs to power through when she gets the ball at her feet and then make it count, we wont be firing forty long balls to get one in ala EP, but that does not mean we should not expect Sinclair to put her stamp on the game.

These three are a great set of ads for the German postal service. Canada Post they just called you out for 2014/2015.

Its not 2015 Canada Post needs to be ready for Vic...its the stamp put out when we win the World Cup 2011.

Thats a first day cancelation we should see.

Most of you guys need a good dose of Own the Podium.
The CMNT receives funding from Own the Podium to the tune of $1,746,000.

Now if we had access to the former Top Secret program that was so successful in Vancouver, I'd be more confident.

Canada has proven to be a second half team (superior fitness?). If they can stay close to the Jerries after the first half it could get real interesting.

Saviola - post pics of both tournaments!

We all pray the planets are aligned and we're on top of the world both June 27th and again July 18th.

"Factor to win, good mental state, focus and heart."

That's every team going on the field at this level. And the Germans have been through not just a generic all-sport Own the Podium program but one custom-designed to them and winning the World Cup. What was the number quoted by Dorrance the other day - the association has almost 20 people employed full-time in the development of women's soccer.

The German women have won every single Women's European Championship since 1993, they are currently the best team in the world in public opinion, and they're defending World Cup champions playing at home. There's no point in sugar-coating it - they are that awesome. How people react to that is their perogative, but again it's do you want to live in reality or on fantasy island?

If we win the tournament a stamp would be great but I'm sure what motivates all the women beyond the victory is the financial considerations it means to them personally. And if we go down in flames excuses are unimportant and meaningless. This stage and tournament is far beyond anything like that, especially for Canada.

YZ4Wy

Interestingly the above photo on Wikipedia is called "Canada_vs_Germany_in_Dresden." And one of the comments in the description of the photo is:

German player of the year Inka Grings scored the 1-0 at seconds minute by a penalty. Germany dominated throughout first half but failed to expand the lead.... Germany coach Silvia Neid brought to a conclusion: "In first half we weren't consequent enough, but then we got the Canadians tired."

The penalty was rather bogus and Neid's analysis is shamefully inaccurate.

A couple more Drseden from WOGERCAN10 on Wikipedia:

pQSrN

p9mVq

We're extremely fortunate to be spoiled with three great goalkeepers and I see no reason to not have confidence in our goalkeeping staff who are not only paid career professionals but have spent the past year virtually day-in and day-out in training with them all.

20 days and counting...

For what I seen lately from Leblanc I just woul feel better with Labbe.

In addition to the Germany match"

From the CSA game report

.....error from veteran Canadian goalkeeper LeBlanc allowed China PR to level the score two minutes before the break. A shot from 35 yards out by Na Chang didn’t look like it was going to trouble LeBlanc in the Canadian goal but the ball ended up in the back of the net when LeBlanc lost concentration and allowed the ball to squeeze through her legs.

Too many bad goals.

We have three amazing 'keepers. That game was just one of those days for Karina. Whoever gets the nod for the opening match I'll be confident in their ability. Also read a tweet from Steph this morning. She's cleared by doctors so yay :)

This is true, Steve. That goal let in by LeBlanc vs China in September was unacceptable. But as a veteran player you learn from those mistakes, carry it with you and better form it. Karina seems to have a very strong mindset right now. Going into the World Cup, she'll make sure those shots won't go in. Let's just be thankful that those goals came in friendlies and not in matches that count.

We're extremely fortunate to be spoiled with three great goalkeepers and I see no reason to not have confidence in our goalkeeping staff who are not only paid career professionals but have spent the past year virtually day-in and day-out in training with them all.

20 days and counting...

All three GK can do a top job. BUT, if it were me doing the lineup, I will start Stephanie Labbé.

To balance things out a bit...

Karina LeBlanc is world class. I don't think there's anyone outside Angerer and Solo in her class of completeness. Unsurprisingly all three are around 30, and I think it takes 5-10 years of high level professional play to acquire the mental skills and polish all the elements of your game to get to where they are. Her presence is uncanny among female goalkeepers.

Erin McLeod has had a tough road. We placed too much on her shoulders too young. Had we had an experienced older "A" keeper for her to prodigy under I have zero doubt her development and growth would have gone so much smoother. I haven't had the chance to watch her lately but I've always had a really strong feeling she had more greatness inside her once she conquered it. If that time is now and she gets the call she can certainly deliver.

Both are not only mature goalkeepers but great shot-stoppers, have experience playing against the best players in the world professionally and internationally, and can pack a lunch and go up in the air with Prinz and Wambach and come out alive and controlling the play.

The curiosity with Labbé is the edict. Given Morace announced a May 10th date for players to participate in full training or be left off the World Cup squad, if she's on the roster the questions that come to mind are what happens every time down the road Morace makes a similar statement, and when is Josée Bélanger healthy?

English Canada SMOKED by the French. Love it! Thanks for the link x 100

Vic, you mean French Canada. :-) And yes they did.

Radio-Canada will be featuring another WC report on Sat 18 June 4pm Est.; should be on their web page shortly after.

On this note, we have started to see also some WC commercials both on English and French TV channels, pretty exciting!

Yes French Canada. Great on them. I saw one of those Canadian commercials the other day too. Thought it was a little templated but hard to complain when it's so rare.

Good piece on the Angerer, Kulig and the Germans:

Archived