6/26/2011: Canada v. Germany

Vic

So I haven't seen why McLeod started over LeBlanc. Any news on that? I thought LeBlanc had basically taken the number 1 role with her performances leading up to the WC.

In my humble opinion McLeod is a better keeper followed by Labbe and then Leblanc. Leblanc has a habit of allowing bad goals recently; 2 against Germany last Sept and 1 versus China in Toronto.

Labbe was the keeper of choice until her injury forced her out.

Morace must be thinking the same way Pellerud did in 2007.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw those last night and was wondering why they picked on Bresonik. And giving Garefrekes the highest rank when she missed a tap-in was somewhat odd.

To be fair to Garefrekes, the ball did seem to take an odd bounce right before she struck it.

It's really about all those things plus technique and strength. Physical might be the least important, but it still matters. Look how C Ronaldo improved when he bulked up. And Barca didn't feed Messi all those growth stimulants just for shits and giggles. It made him a better player.

I also found that Canada's defense seemed to panic on many occasions when Germany kicked the ball forward and chased after it. Even though I'm not a fan of "long-ball" soccer, its nice to have the option to kick the ball down-field if/when under pressure instead of having to dribble & pass the ball out of your own end every time.

In a number of European academies, the focus is on TIPS: technique, intelligence, position play and speed.

Other than speed, I doubt the average Cdn involved in soccer would name the other three before physical-oriented attributes. Certainly, the avg Cdn is clueless about this type of thinking since many think soccer is a simple game suited best for kids. Or it is looked down upon as it is in hockey with skilled Europeans with no heart vs the good old Cdn boys.

Great point that is often missed by Canadians about the sport - if we were technically and mentally better. the Germans would be viewed as slow and lumbering.

So would a womens fast technical, skillfull team be able to beat a mens team?

Or would the physical strength of the mens team take over?

well, these types of comments are made with the base case assumption that differences in strength is within normal deviations while men vs women would be an outlier scenario.

Anyway, good to see 662k watched Canada vs Germany on Sunday. Not quite as good as most NHL games on CBC; though on par with games on TSN & RSN. On par with men's World Cup matches last year at the group play stage matches played on weekdays.

Akin to Les Blues theme song. Germany's version "Sister Hit the Goal" by Marta Jandová. Who would have ever thought women's soccer would get to this level of status so fast. FIFA has done an amazing job with the women's game.

Archived