U17 camp in the USA

loyola

Here's the roster for the last camp prior to the U17 CONCACAF championship (3 cuts to be made):

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=4652

CANADA

GK- Maxime Crépeau | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

GK- Xander Huggins | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

GK- Quillan Roberts | CAN / Brampton East

D- Ismaïl Benomar | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

D- Luca Gasparotto | CAN / Ajax Strikers

D- Marco Lapenna | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

D- Adam Polakiewicz | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

D- Parker Seymour | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

D- Daniel Stanese | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps Residency

M- Bryce Alderson | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Keven Aleman | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

M- Wesley Cain | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Shadrack Mmunga | CAN / Académie Impact Montréal

M- Christopher Nanco | CAN / Sigma FC Academy

M- Matteo Pasquotti | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Michael Petrasso | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

M- Samuel Piette | FRA / FC Metz

F- Dylan Carreiro | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

F- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

F- Yassin Essa | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

F- Jordan Hamilton | CAN / Ajax SC

F- Sadi Jalali | CAN / Edmonton Juventus

F- Omari Morris | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Sean Fleming

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Patrick Tobo

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur adjoint : Rob Gale

Goalkeer Coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Djamel Laarabi

Video Coordinator / Vidéaste : Mark Parker

Team Manager / Gérant d’équipe : Daniel Michelucci

Doctor / Docteur : Dr. Randy Gregg

Athletic Trainer / Entraîneur en athlétisme : Dwayne Laing

Any predictions on how Canada will fare?

On the positive side the majority of these players are members of professional youth academy's. We haven't been able to say that about any of our youth teams in the past.

Names that seem to stick out are u17 player of the year Bryce Alderson, recent goal scorers Keven Aleman, Jordan Hamilton and Dylan Carreiro, the now TFC academy player from Winnipeg who tore it up at all star nationals last summer

the U17 qualifiers are just over a week away. What are our chances?

They have played well in the lead up to the qualifiers. Beat US, Jamaica and Costa Rica each in their respective home countries. Hopefully they do well and qualify. Been a long time since a U17 team qualified for the WC.

^ It's been a long time since we had a qualified coach at U17 level. What exactly are Sean Fleming's qualifications, other than hearing tales of FIFA boondoggles while dandling on his daddy's knee?

^ It's been a long time since we had a qualified coach at U17 level. What exactly are Sean Fleming's qualifications, other than hearing tales of FIFA boondoggles while dandling on his daddy's knee?

My guess is Fleming has few qualifications and his appointment was political. To ensure his stint wasn't an epic failure they partnered him up with Patrick Tobo who everyone keeps saying is one of the best youth coaches in the country. This arrangement might actually work since hiring Tobo as head coach would have opened up the can of worms that is his resume. ie. World Cup player *cough* bull**** *cough* for Cameroon.

I believe you just listed Sean's total qualifications right there Ed. It seems that he has his CSA job for life.

Actually, Hart has extensive more experience coming up thru the ranks as a coach and even more as a player.

I'm not sure what's the playing experience of Flemming but Hart doesn't have an impressive CV in that regard. My point was that when hired as a U17 MNT coach Hart had similar experience to what Flemming has(you even called SH an "high school coach" at that time ;)).

I'm not sure what's the playing experience of Flemming but Hart doesn't have an impressive CV in that regard. My point was that when hired as a U17 MNT coach Hart had similar experience to what Flemming has(you even called SH an "high school coach" at that time ;)).

Hart was capped once by T&T, that's about it.

This arrangement might actually work since hiring Tobo as head coach would have opened up the can of worms that is his resume. ie. World Cup player *cough* bull**** *cough* for Cameroon.

Are you saying he didn't play for Cameroon? This pic from Ontario Soccernet:

1.2FCA?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

Are you saying he didn't play for Cameroon? This pic from Ontario Soccernet:

That's not what i'm saying, i'm saying he didn't play for Cameroon in the World Cup...this has been discussed multiple times and evidence was provided on those occassions. Unless he has changed his name he's full of crap...

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=76/results/index.html

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/archive/edition=84/results/index.html

Check the match reports, he's nowhere to be found.

p.s. that picture could be of any game, anywhere, any time so i wouldn't take that as any kind of proof.

Hart played for T&T. Fleming ?.

But I did say that about Hart's coaching expertise. Haven't changed my opinion that much on that. However, he coached kid's soccer. then on to coach Kings of Donair, then technical director Nova Scotia. He came up thru the ranks.

Fleming, lifetime NTC Prairies appointment, based on nothing but bloodlines.

Let's keep in mind that, unlike the past, four teams from the region will qualify. So my guess, based on the draw, Canada should qualify this time. In the past, when the U17 WC consisted of 16 teams, only two concacaf side could qualify.

The important thing that I noted about this program is the club affiliation for each of the players in that all but maybe one or two are from a pro club youth academy. The significance is huge because it mean that the selection and evaluation process is now immensely simplified. Instead of having to debate or assess the merits of a kid from Ajax versus a kid from Red deer, you only need to get the input of the three pro clubs yourself. Of course, as with any national U17 side, if you look back in ten years, you will notice some un familiar names but the point is that the playing field is getting leveled in regard to Canada and the more prominent sides in the region.

As for the other stuff, coaches competencies, again that is now mitigated by the fact that there now exists a upper crust elite level for youth players. So even if the coach is incompetent, is he going to ignore or over look the best player that, say, TFC, VWCFC or Montreal have? this is now unlikely to happen. Let's not forget that this is a team of 16 yr olds. As far as politics, yeah I am sure there is, as there will always be, political influence. Besides these are not the most highly coveted jobs for ambitious and talented coaches and if we talking politics, the U20 coaching appointment reaks of politiics as well.

I did some research 1 or 2 years ago and couldn't find anything about Tobo ever playing for Cameroon at any level. One thing is sure, like jpg75 just showed, Tobo never played in a WC.

Some journalist should get on top of that.

Ok ! here it is! He did played for cameroon, a much more superior soccer/futbol nation than Canada then and now.

In the world cup he played as Benjamin massing or whatever his name was or is.

But now as patrick Tobo living a less dubious existence,he has continued to give his time and effort to help develop Ontario/Canadian soccer so who ever he is we should thank him.

Is he the most experienced coach in the U17 program with out a doubt. Is he one of the top coaches in Canada based on experience, and effectiveness. Yes!(also want to shout out "Sweet foot carlos Rivas" to bad you only have a B license) Ok back to Tobo, as far as I know there's no molestation charges against him, so I dont care if he's beelzebub this dude is a gift to Canadian soccer not a curse.

and Done!

Archived