MLS on TV

whale_31

I seem to recall that it was hit or miss if the games were on 501, more hit than miss though.

As Rogers continues their rejigging of the lineup and removing the analogue channels I'm sure some channels that (clearly) have a full time HD feed will be upgraded to HD from SD. HGTV, GolTV being a couple off the top of my head that would be eligible.

Of course it was last season.

More than you need to know, but...

CBC

------------------

5 Sunday, April 25 - also on CBC Bold - 2:00 p.m. ET - Seattle Sounders at Toronto FC

7 Saturday, May 8 - 3:30 p.m. ET - Chicago Fire at Toronto FC

9 Saturday, May 22 - 3:30 p.m. ET - New England Revolution at Toronto FC

11 Saturday, June 5 - 3:30 p.m. ET - Kansas City Wizards at Toronto FC

14 Saturday, July 10 - Popsicle Soccer Day in Canada - Noon ET - Colorado Rapids at Toronto FC

15 Saturday, July 17 - 3:30 p.m. ET - Toronto FC at Philadelphia Union

16 Saturday, July 24 - 4:00 p.m. ET - FC Dallas at Toronto FC

18 Saturday, August 7 - 3:30 p.m. ET - Chivas USA at Toronto FC

20 Saturday, August 21 - 1:00 p.m. ET - New York Red Bulls at Toronto FC

24 Saturday, September 11 - 3:30 p.m. ET - DC United at Toronto FC

26 Saturday, September 25 - 3:30 p.m. ET - San Jose Earthquakes at Toronto FC

27 Saturday, October 2 - 3:30 p.m. ET - Toronto FC at Seattle Sounders

29 Saturday, October 16 - 3:30 p.m. ET - Columbus Crew at Toronto FC

Rogers Sportsnet

-----------------

6 Saturday, May 1 9:00PM @ Salt Lake //RSN

8 Saturday, May 15 10:30PM @ LA Galaxy //RSN

10 Saturday, May 29 10:30PM @ San Jose //RSN

12 Saturday, June 26 7:30PM v. LA Galaxy //RSN

13 Thursday, July 1 7:00PM v. Houston //RSN

17 Saturday, July 31 8:30PM @ Kansas City //RSN

21 Saturday, August 28 7:00PM v. Salt Lake //RSN

22 Saturday, Sept 4 8:30PM @ Dallas //RSN

23 Wednesday, Sept8 8:30PM @ Chicago //RSN

25 Saturday, Sept 18 8:30PM @ Houston //RSN

GOL TV Canada

---------------

1 Saturday, March 27 4:00pm @ Columbus //GOLTV

2 Saturday, April 10 7:30PM @ New England //GOLTV

3 Thursday, April 15 7:00PM v. Philadelphia //GOLTV

4 Sunday, April 18 5:00PM @ Colorado //GOLTV

19 Wednesday, August 11 7:30PM @ New York //GOLTV

28 Saturday, Oct 9 10:30PM @ Chivas //GOLTV

30 Saturday, Oct 23 7:30PM @ DC United //GOLTV

Is CBC completely out of the game? I know they had TFC games, but I'm thinking it was two seasons ago, and not last season.

I hope CBC is in the picture as they were last year and the previous three years. Below is last year's TFC television schedule. CBC did 12 games in 2010.

1 Saturday, March 27 4:00pm @ Columbus //GOLTV

2 Saturday, April 10 7:30PM @ New England //GOLTV

3 Thursday, April 15 7:00PM v. Philadelphia //GOLTV

4 Sunday, April 18 5:00PM @ Colorado //GOLTV

5 Sunday, April 25 2:00PM v. Seattle //CBC

6 Saturday, May 1 9:00PM @ Salt Lake //RSN

7 Saturday, May 8 4:00PM v. Chicago //CBC

8 Saturday, May 15 10:30PM @ LA Galaxy //RSN

9 Saturday, May 22 1:00PM v. New England //CBC

10 Saturday, May 29 10:30PM @ San Jose //RSN

11 Saturday, June 5 4:00PM v. Kansas City //CBC

12 Saturday, June 26 7:30PM v. LA Galaxy //RSN

13 Thursday, July 1 7:00PM v. Houston //RSN

14 Saturday, Jul 10 12:00PM v. Colorado //CBC

15 Saturday, July 17 3:30PM @ Philadelphia //CBC

16 Saturday, July 24 4:00PM v. Dallas //CBC

17 Saturday, July 31 8:30PM @ Kansas City //RSN

18 Saturday, August 7 4:00PM v. Chivas //CBC

19 Wednesday, August 11 7:30PM @ New York //GOLTV

20 Saturday, August 21 1:00PM v. New York //CBC

21 Saturday, August 28 7:00PM v. Salt Lake //RSN

22 Saturday, Sept 4 8:30PM @ Dallas //RSN

23 Wednesday, Sept8 8:30PM @ Chicago //RSN

24 Saturday, Sept 11 4:00PM v. DC United //CBC

25 Saturday, Sept 18 8:30PM @ Houston //RSN

26 Saturday, Sept 25 4:00PM v. San Jose //CBC

27 Saturday, Oct 2 3:30PM @ Seattle //CBC

28 Saturday, Oct 9 10:30PM @ Chivas //GOLTV

29 Saturday, Oct 16 4:00PM v. Columbus //CBC

30 Saturday, Oct 23 7:30PM @ DC United //GOLTV

You have to admit that it would be unfortunate to have the national broadcaster drop out of the game just as Vancouver is entering and one year before Montreal is in the equation.

Having an MLSE owned entity potentially broadcasting the Whitecaps game would also be far from ideal, unless they came up with a new section devoted to the Caps and somewhat arms length from the mothership. Maybe it'll be RSN that steps up their game if CBC decides to reduce or take a pass.

And who knows, maybe a west coast entity will take on the Caps broadcasts. I'll be watching with interest.

You have to admit that it would be unfortunate to have the national broadcaster drop out of the game just as Vancouver is entering and one year before Montreal is in the equation.

Having an MLSE owned entity potentially broadcasting the Whitecaps game would also be far from ideal, unless they came up with a new section devoted to the Caps and somewhat arms length from the mothership. Maybe it'll be RSN that steps up their game if CBC decides to reduce or take a pass.

And who knows, maybe a west coast entity will take on the Caps broadcasts. I'll be watching with interest.

While we might see some Whitecaps games on Gol (and they do have a Whitecaps program already ... or at least did last year, something I would expect to continue) I think if anybody were to replace CBC, it would have to be a network that isn't already showing MLS ie TSN/TSN2. They have a lot of time to fill now that they have a second station but then so does Sportsnet with Sportsnet One.

I imagine TFC's broadcast schedule will remain fairly similar, otherwise we would probably have heard something about a new partnership with a new network. Last year was generally CBC for Sat afternoon games, RSN Ontario/East and GolTV splitting midweek and Sat night games. GolTV had all the rights to the Voyageurs Cup and CCL. HD feeds were available on all channels where stadiums were equipped with HD cameras.

I bet RSN Pacific will be broadcasting most of VWFC games during the week and Sat nigths, and CBC will hopefully air double headers for Sat afternoon games.

^ V Cup games were all on Sportsnet. GolTV carried all the CCL matches.

Ahhhhhh. That is right.

Rycroft has a good bit of info on this. If anyone hasn't seen it.

http://www.canadiansoccernews.com/content.php?1079-The-TSN-effect

I'm not sure who I'd prefer to have as a broadcaster. Maybe a situation where TSN caries as a national game any game between VWFC and TFC and then has their other games regionally on TSN2.

I seem to recall that it was hit or miss if the games were on 501, more hit than miss though.
As far as I recall every MLS game on Gol TV was also carried on Rogers 501 in HD. As far as I recall, the only ones that weren't were some of the Champions League games.

GolTV is like one continuous infomercial for TFC, which I as a VWCFC supporter find somewhat offensive
Why wouldn't it be a continuous commercial ... TFC owns the channel ... or at least the same people control both the team and the channel. Do you object to LeafsTV being a continuous ad for the Leafs?

This will likely be announced shortly as I think the two team (Toronto and Vancouver are just finalizing their local packages) but TSN will be the national carrier of Major League Soccer in Canada this year and likely the next 4 years.

GolTV is a good bet to carry part or all of the TFC games locally in T.O. which ofcourse get seen all across the country if you subscribe to the channel.

CTV Vancouver is a good bet to pick up the local TV rights for the Whitecaps.

Bell is going to be the owner of CTV Globemedia, which includes TSN and also happens to appear across the shirts of the Whitecaps, therefore basically advertising their product for all of the Whitecaps matches.

As for those Voyageur Cup matches? That's another animal altogether.

Archived