Canucks in Germany Season - August 2010

Guest Ed

Thanks Ed, it was amazing the game yesterday. 50.000 fans, raining, what we call Fitz Walter Weather;-). Bayern was domintaing the game, but with passion and and the fans in the back the red devils fought down the defending chmapion Bayern.

A good day for Oliver Occean, scored twice and also Big Kev scored, but could not avoid the 4:2 defeat for Cologne.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ It's also worth pointing out that this particular third division is likely the best in the world. And as always, the argument that a guy playing is generally a better bet that a guy getting 10 minutes every few weeks. Hopefully, as loyola mentions, we will see him against Ukraine.

Occean is surely having a great season so far, but if Hart is only calling 3 strikers for the Ukraine friendly (like he has with the Peru/Honduras matches) I think the strikers have to be Friend, Jackson, and Haber. I would guess St. Johnstone and Offenbach are similar level, and although Occean is having a better season at this point I would like Hart to see if Haber can cut it at the international level, and we already know what Occean brings to the table. It would be nice to see him though and I would certainly call him ahead of Hume

Thanks Ed, it was amazing the game yesterday. 50.000 fans, raining, what we call Fitz Walter Weather;-). Bayern was domintaing the game, but with passion and and the fans in the back the red devils fought down the defending chmapion Bayern.

A good day for Oliver Occean, scored twice and also Big Kev scored, but could not avoid the 4:2 defeat for Cologne.

I got to watch the replay on TV here yesterday evening and the atmosphere looked fantastic. Great start for K'town. Another miracle season Frank??

An article in English from the VfL Bochum site, somewhat dated - preview of their DFB Pokal match against Kickers Offenbach, but talks of the rebuilding of the Offenbach squad and addition of Olivier Occean.

And an excerpt from a print interview from August 15th:

Four goals for Olivier Occean in the first four games of the season for the Offenbach Kickers. Too good for the 3rd league? In the interview, the Canadian striker talks about his amibitions. By Jochen Koch and Christian Düncher

"Olivier Occean, four games for Kickers Offenbach and you are already a fan favorite. Did that surprise you?"

OO: "That happened really awfully fast. I simply try to always give my best. But naturally I am pleased about that.

"How did you come in contact with Kickers Offenbach?"

OO: My agent said to me that a German club with big ambition, that wants to climb into the 2nd league, is looking for another striker. At the beginning, I was not certain whether I should change from the 1st division in Norway into the German 3rd league. But that quickly changed over the course of the conversations."

"Did you have previous contact with other German clubs?"

OO: "Yes, last year there were some second-division teams that were interested. But at that time I wasn't one hundred percent fit and decided therefore, not to change. Now I had the feeling that it was time for a change and a good chance to get my career again back on the right path. I was hardly playing at the end in Lilleström."

I would like to see Haber, Jackson/Friend and Occean called for the match vs. Ukraine.. lets face it we haven't been scoring and someone needs to be dropped for new options... Occean, Haber and hopefully Hoillet can provide us with some goals even if we have seen Occean before players change and he hasn't played for us in how long?

The Dusseldorf goal by Washington will be a goal of the year candidate. Friend played well throughout. Hertha also uses a 4-5-1 but it is much different than ours as the 3 midfielders behind Friend all play very offensively and interchange being a 2nd striker beside him. Friend needs service from the side much more than from behind. Once they were ahead by 2 goals Friend was employed as a lone striker much more like he is with the national team but in this case he is mostly being used to hold up the ball and eat up time.

Jonathan Beaulieu-Bourgault subbed off for the last 15 (with a YC) but his club Preussen Muenster hangs on to get their first win of the season in the Regional League West.

Jaineil Hoillet 90 minute man for Mainz U19's in a 1-1 draw in the A-Junioren Bundesliga.

Haven't seen Srdan Gaijic or young Graham Fisher with RW Erfurt U19's yet. I think Graham might be waiting on his 18th b-day (in Sept I believe).

Massih Wassey still without a club. Might be hearing word on that soon.

Any idea where Eddie Sidra is going? Not in Germany.

Justin Maheu is doing well with Fortuna Dusseldorf's U19's, starting in both of their games (bye last weekend) and scoring a goal in their opening 1-0 win for the season. The 18 yr old also had a sub appearance with the reserve/U23 side in a Regional League West game in early August before the U19 league started.

No idea. He wasn't even mentioned at the BM website where they were talking about players leaving this week for international duty.

No idea. He wasn't even mentioned at the BM website where they were talking about players leaving this week for international duty.

You'd have to think that he's at the end of the line at a big league club level. Of course, he's been written off before and bounced back but I can't see that happening this time around.

The article says that he is currently injured and not training with the BM reserve team so maybe we won't see him for the friendlies after all. As far as a new team he probably has to drop a level to B2 or equivalent but the problem is he is probably on a B1 salary.

The article says that he is currently injured and not training with the BM reserve team so maybe we won't see him for the friendlies after all. As far as a new team he probably has to drop a level to B@ or equivalent but the problem is he is probably on a B1 salary.

On the CSA webpage there's an article about the camp first practice being held yesterday with a picture of Stalteri and Hume. I'm not sure if it's a picture taken yesterday or if it's an old one.

Archived