Victoria to NASL?

masster

I would have thought they were heading to USL2 as discussed already but maybe we have found some wealthy investors.

Either way, please lord let's hope they are finally heading for Royal Athletic Park!

Edit: I wonder if they were unclear in the article referenced above and meant NASL as the North American second division rather than USL2? Sometimes the terminology gets absurd when discussing the APSL/A-League/USL1/NASL...

NASL Coming to Victoria!

Posted on: Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Victoria Highlanders announced today at their end of season press conference that they will play two friendlies against future NASL side FC Edmonton.

The home and home series will see FC Edmonton come to Victoria for the first leg at Bear Mountain Stadium at 6pm on August 8 before hosting Victoria in the return leg at Edmonton on the 11th. Edmonton are slated to begin play in the NASL next season (2011) along with Tampa Bay Rowdies, AC St. Louis, Montreal Impact, Carolina Railhawks, FC Miami, Atlanta Silverbacks, Rochester Kickers and NSC Minnesota and will be a great litmus test for the second year Victoria club that has hinted a promotion to the USL pro ranks could be in their near future.

The NASL (North American Soccer League) gained huge popularity through the 70's and early 80's signing international superstars like Pele, George Best, Johan Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer, Giorgio Chinalia and Kyle Rote Jr. Canadians like Bruce Wilson, Buzz Parsons and Bobby Lenarduzzi made a name for themselves during their time in the NASL. Victorians Bob Bolitho, Ike MacKay and Highlander's Head Coach, Ian Bridge all spent time in the league during its glory years. Edmonton's original NASL franchise was known as the Drillers. The Vancouver Whitecaps won the NASL Soccer Bowl, the league's championship, in 1979 defeating the Tampa Bay Rowdies 2-1.

PURCHASE TICKETS HERE:

Match Times:

Sunday August 8, 2010: 6:00pm @ Bear Mountain Stadium

Wednesday August 11, 2010: 7:35pm @ Edmonton's Foote Field (U of A)

Man, talk about yanking my chain. I totally forgot that they had not yet announced the FCE game officially (season ticket holders got email last week). Nice bit of cheeky marketing that. Almost makes up for the total hash of the World Cup non-event and Paddy's mysterious - yet virtually non-reported - departure.

Anyway, gotta give'em props when they get it right. The front office is only in it's second season.

I got my hopes up for nothing!

In any case, this is the second time that Victoria has officially mentioned a potential move 'to the USL pro ranks'. To get peoples hopes up like that and then not follow through would be very poor on their part. I doubt they would continue to mention it if talks were not far along.

They also have a "big time" coach, and are REALLY REALLY pushing Academy development. They have a u18 team, and are pushing forward with youth camps year round, not to mention a u23 (first team) and u21 (reserves) team. They'll be NASL sooner than later. They also have affiliation with Sheffield Wednesday (and other clubs?) which has encouraged player movement.

They also have a "big time" coach, and are REALLY REALLY pushing Academy development. They have a u18 team, and are pushing forward with youth camps year round, not to mention a u23 (first team) and u21 (reserves) team. They'll be NASL sooner than later. They also have affiliation with Sheffield Wednesday (and other clubs?) which has encouraged player movement.

So how is it that Edmonton joins the NASL and then decided to build everything up around themselves afterwards, and Victoria sounds pretty well established but still not in? I am asking out of sheer nievity here, but I find it curious.

Because they're smart? I think it actually has more to do with the market... Edmonton considers itself big(ger) time in terms of sports teams. A team in a development league might do alright and build momentum in somewhere like Victoria, but I don't think it would do much in Edmonton except perpetually limp along. Edmonton will really only embrace a team "in a real league" - so you sorta have to jump in and work hard (and pray a bit). MLS is out of reach, but I think it's possible to make this NASL thing work. It's much the same syndrome why a second division team in Toronto (the Lynx) couldn't draw flies, but MLS is a huge hit (well there's lots of reasons for that... including crazy Nicole Hartnell).

They also have a "big time" coach

I've gone off Mr Bridge. We started OK but in the second half of the season he didn't seem to have the vision to make tactical changes. We need a real "big time" coach. Or at least a coach with experience managing pro teams.

Because they're smart? I think it actually has more to do with the market... Edmonton considers itself big(ger) time in terms of sports teams. A team in a development league might do alright and build momentum in somewhere like Victoria, but I don't think it would do much in Edmonton except perpetually limp along. Edmonton will really only embrace a team "in a real league" - so you sorta have to jump in and work hard (and pray a bit). MLS is out of reach, but I think it's possible to make this NASL thing work. It's much the same syndrome why a second division team in Toronto (the Lynx) couldn't draw flies, but MLS is a huge hit (well there's lots of reasons for that... including crazy Nicole Hartnell).

But if Victoria use the 'Eddies' as a way of building up alttle bit more momentum, then good luck to them.

I've gone off Mr Bridge. We started OK but in the second half of the season he didn't seem to have the vision to make tactical changes. We need a real "big time" coach. Or at least a coach with experience managing pro teams.

Although I have no insight into the Highlanders beyond their u18's, I was suggesting "big time" didn't actually="big time." But in re: to Canadian professional terms, Bridge isn't bad. I won't speak toward their tactics though, as I have no clue!

Victoria Highlanders soccer team eyes higher level

The Victoria Highlanders play the first leg of a home-and-home friendly series this Sunday, August 8th, at Bear Mountain Stadium in Langford. The opponent is Edmonton FC, a team scheduled to make a step up into the new NASL pro tier of North American soccer next season.

Highlanders general manager Drew Finerty considers this game as a bit of a bellwether to determine community support for a possible bid by the Highlanders to move to a higher level themselves. Full article>>

I'm not sure one single exhibition game is a good measure of support. We have had great crowds all season - even AFTER we were eliminated from the playoffs.

I'm not sure one single exhibition game is a good measure of support. We have had great crowds all season - even AFTER we were eliminated from the playoffs.

Out of intrest what would you consider a good crowd? Not slight intended.Just like to get an idea of what consitutes a good crowd at this level. If wednesday makes the 2500 mark then are the Eddies in good shape for next season?

Open to all question by the way

Alright that did make sense, but are you sure our city wouldn't embrace an MLS team? I have been wearing my Edmonton scarf around the city and not only do people know who they are, but they have expressed interest in getting out to one of the games. Remember the old adage, if you build it they will come. Just look at how soccer exploded in philly this year.

and on the side note for alberta white; are the eddies supposed to be Edmonton? because every time I try and figure that out Iron Maiden starts playing in my head.

Out of intrest what would you consider a good crowd? Not slight intended.Just like to get an idea of what consitutes a good crowd at this level.

What level? Which city?

Here in Victoria (a city with a population of about 350K) we are near the top of the PDL in attendance and actually drawing better than some teams in the higgher levels of the USL. Our current, tiny stadium sells out somewhere around 2,000. If we were to move to the NASL I would hope that we could average around 4,000 or more per game over a season.

And, for the record, I never would have considered the question a slight. :)

Alright that did make sense, but are you sure our city wouldn't embrace an MLS team?

Maybe Edmonton can, but the big problem for the next several years is that MLS is focusing on American, or proven Big city markets. Maybe in time if FCE proves itself and MLS shifts to any proven market, Edmonton could have a shot.

Maybe Edmonton can, but the big problem for the next several years is that MLS is focusing on American, or proven Big city markets. Maybe in time if FCE proves itself and MLS shifts to any proven market, Edmonton could have a shot.

I think for once that we are on the same page. I know full well that Edmonton has a few years (at least) in the NASL, or leagues like it if something happens to the NASL, before a (larger seating soccer only) stadium is even built to entice an MLS interest. By that time what will the Canadian soccer landscape look like? Will there be Ottawa, Victoria, Hamilton, Winnipeg, etc... in the NASL as well, or will MLS be overjoyed with overflowing popularity for the three distinct Canadian clubs and want more Canadian content and revenue? Something happened to North American soccer in the last five years, or maybe that is just when I started caring, but it seems like it took off and didn't slow down at all.

But for now we know that FC Edmonton has been bringing in over two thousand spectators a game in an advertising season of friendlies. I will take that, I just hope sports channels pick up on Canadian soccer for next season, and not just for the nutrilite championship.

Archived