Jonathan paases test,signs for Mallorca this WE.

john tv

I think if Jono gets in 2-3 months of games with Mallorca, not even playing that well but with the team getting results, he'll be invited back into the Dutch mix. There are plenty of lesser qualifying matches for Euro 2012 starting this fall (Moldova, San Marino), you don't have to call your best, you can call players not in the core pool. And they are capped.

But if he is playing in La Liga that is enough. Only two Dutchmen were in Spain last year, Heitinga now transferred, and Maduro at Valencia. It is arguably the best league in Europe, at least in there amongst the top 3. Much more demanding than Holland, where the Dutch national team is still drawing players from. You can't ignore that, you have to consider it. He and Maduro will be the only Dutchmen in Spain next year (unless I am missing a recent transfer). Will Holland ignore that? Not likely, not likely for very long.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's very simple. Holland doesn't select players based on what club they play > but on quality.

Maduro has been playing in Spain for a few years now playing quite a few games but he's just not good enough. Jono might move to Mallorca and do well there but right now he is nowhere near the Dutch team.

He was in the pre-selection once when he just received his passport but didn't get picked in the squad. That's a long time ago and under the regime of Van Basten who basically gave everybody a chance. We've seen a lot of crap putting on the Orange jersey.

De Guzman has just made his debut by the way for Real Mallorca. He came in after half-time against Heerenveen and the match ended in a 4-0 win for Heerenveen.

de guzman subbed off 78th minute. A good preformance although I do not know how he played in the first half. He has a good passing range and keeps posesssion really well. He does not appear to be too innovative with the ball in small spaces, like his brother was back in his depor days, but he already seems much more able to play dangerous through balls than his brother. It will be interesting to see how he progresses through the season.

• 3 weeks later...

I seen the last 30 minutes of this game and from what I seen Madrids finishing was aweful and they could have one 2 or 3 nil if they converted their chances, so the result appears misleading to me. That said Jono did play well and took players on a few times but I think he will have to keep it up for a while to get a look, we are talking about the world cup finalists after all.

Anyone who thinks that Jono won't get looked at for just being on team getting this kind of result is mistaken, he will be, by the Dutch. I predict another first team call up before the end of the year. For Canada he is gone.

At the very least it will make him think he still has a chance to make it with the Dutch NT.

Still seems like a shame to me, though. He's playing his whole career just hoping for a chance to get one cap with the Dutch team, when he could already have a bag full of them with Canada.

I don't see him ever becoming a regular with Holland, at most he'll get one or two caps with them before he retires from football.

Anyone helping take points of RM gets a lot of credit from me. Mallorca I think played with 5 academy players, he is the only real signing. So if they do just okay that is in fact really good, considering their economic hassles.

My point though is that in Eurocup qualifiers you have a lot of matches vs. weak teams in the group, so you can call in all kinds of marginal players to the core pool and look that them with little risk of hurting a result. In Holland's case you have Moldova and San Marino, match vs. the latter this Friday. It has been argued in this thread that players like Maduro were not part of the Dutch team in spite of being on a Liga squad (Valencia in his case), but he has been called in here, as have other non-core players. So I expect the same for Jono if Mallorca has at least decent results.

Dutch squad vs. San Marino, Persie and Robben injured, and a few newer names in there:

Goalkeepers: Maarten Stekelenburg (AFC Ajax), Piet Velthuizen (Hércules CF), Michel Vorm (FC Utrecht)

Defenders: Vurnon Anita (AFC Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (VfB Stuttgart), John Heitinga (Everton FC), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburger SV), Erik Pieters (PSV Eindhoven), Ron Vlaar (Feyenoord), Gregory van der Wiel (AFC Ajax)

Midfielders: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV Eindhoven), Mark van Bommel (FC Bayern München), Theo Janssen (FC Twente), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Hedwiges Maduro (Valencia CF), Wesley Sneijder (FC Internazionale Milano), Rafael van der Vaart (Real Madrid CF), Demy de Zeeuw (AFC Ajax)

Forwards: Eljero Elia (Hamburger SV), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (AC Milan), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool FC), Jeremain Lens (PSV Eindhoven), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Hamburger SV)

How can you accused Jono of cheating on a club that's invested in him for 12 years? Feyenoord had a chance to unload him for 10 million euros but Feyenoord was greedy and wanted more since they received 14 million for Drenthe they figured Jonathan was worth more. Manchester City pulled out of negotiations and Feyenoord didn't get anything, how is that Jonathan's fault? How can you accused him of not having ambition moving to a relegation club? Jonathan was offered 1 million per year from Rangers as well as Lokomotiv but he accepted half of that because he wanted to play in a better league and it's not about the money. Furthermore, Mallorca wasn't thrown out of UEFA league when Jonathan signed with Mallorca. It's all BS and politics why Mallorca was thrown out. It's a small club and UEFA/Platini made an example of Mallorca while other clubs are in worse shape than Mallorca.

Great results for Mallorca after the BS that they've gone through losing players and getting thrown out. Jonathan showed what kind of quality player he is and he will continually improve in La Liga.

One thing I agree with you about 420, Platini consistently makes decisions against Spanish clubs, he has it in for them in a big way, beginning with a sanction to At Madrid two years ago because thugs from Marseille were given their due by the security at the stadium. Which is why I am so happy At Madrid has taken the SuperCup, you can be sure they told Platini just what they thought of him in Monaco.

Mallorca has been unfairly treated as well, because they went voluntarily into their financial situation out of a sense of responsibility, they were never forced to go there, it was a situation of using the form of receivership to try to restructure debt. And UEFA hammered them for it.

Still think Jono is gone for us, because he was in the mix vs. Madrid and the fans like him, Laudrup appreciates more creative players too, and he will play regularly for a Liga side, leading to a call up, just one even, and then that will be that.

He looked pretty good in the game vs RM. I just saw the replay last night. It will still be a considerable long shot getting him to commit to Canada.

How can you accused Jono of cheating on a club that's invested in him for 12 years? Feyenoord had a chance to unload him for 10 million euros but Feyenoord was greedy and wanted more since they received 14 million for Drenthe they figured Jonathan was worth more. Manchester City pulled out of negotiations and Feyenoord didn't get anything, how is that Jonathan's fault? How can you accused him of not having ambition moving to a relegation club? Jonathan was offered 1 million per year from Rangers as well as Lokomotiv but he accepted half of that because he wanted to play in a better league and it's not about the money. Furthermore, Mallorca wasn't thrown out of UEFA league when Jonathan signed with Mallorca. It's all BS and politics why Mallorca was thrown out. It's a small club and UEFA/Platini made an example of Mallorca while other clubs are in worse shape than Mallorca.

Great results for Mallorca after the BS that they've gone through losing players and getting thrown out. Jonathan showed what kind of quality player he is and he will continually improve in La Liga.

The Man City offer was made by some shady agent that had nothing to do with Man City. He just tried to broker a deal after Thaksin Shinawatra came in as chariman. Jono has cheated on Feyenoord....it's as simple as that. He's been injured constantly for the last few years and could have shown a lot more commitment to a club who's been instrumental in his development as a footballer and human being. He's been at the club for half his life. It's no surprise since he cheated on Canada as well.

In 5 years time everybody will have forgotten all about him.

The Man City offer was made by some shady agent that had nothing to do with Man City. He just tried to broker a deal after Thaksin Shinawatra came in as chariman. Jono has cheated on Feyenoord....it's as simple as that. He's been injured constantly for the last few years and could have shown a lot more commitment to a club who's been instrumental in his development as a footballer and human being. He's been at the club for half his life. It's no surprise since he cheated on Canada as well.

In 5 years time everybody will have forgotten all about him.

Read this and you get the impression that Feyenoord must be a bunch of backwater amateurs faking at being a football team. Can't sell a player, can't make money off him, get screwed by him, poor Feyenoord, we are all crying for them. Get serious man, all you are really doing is indirectly making your club look ridiculous. He went on a free transfer, because your club was inept and greedy. They did not pay him enough, did not sell when they should have, did not take advantage of their investment, and of course are a mid-table team in Holland lately, not even in UEFA in an easy league.

Jono did what thousands of players do, move on. Like you should. Though I am sure he will not play for Canada, I have moved past that too. He helped take two points off Madrid--a hero in my books.

De Guzman scores the second in a 2-0 home win today against Osasuna. Did not see the game so I have no idea how he played or if it was a good goal.

Goal was in the 94th minute. Opposition had a corner and Mallorca cleared and De Guzman raced towards goal 2 vs 1 and the defender didn't really make a choice and let De Guzman run in towards goal.

Archived