Jonathan paases test,signs for Mallorca this WE.

john tv

JDG2 goes 77 minutes for Mallorca, who manage to lose 3-2 after being 2-1 up on Zaragoza before surrendering 2 goals after Jono goes off. Only seen a bit of the game, but once again, "the dutchman" continutes to impress me in that attacking mid role. I beleive Mallorca now drop down to 9th in the table, which is still pretty good for a team most people assumed would struggle this season.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there ^^^. Our first win of the season for what is looking to be yet another relegation battle. My luck as a Torontonian I suppose, as they've had some really good sides in the past.

De Guz had a really good game. Not a killer one, but he has no trouble fitting into La Liga and he's the heart of the attack for Mallorca. He's building a name for himself here in Spain now so we might all end up dissapointed yet again.

• 3 weeks later...

Also interesting, after snooping around a bit, I noticed that Mallorca have a French player named Michael Pereira who is the same age as Jono. Interesting because his numbers this season are very similar to Jono's, if not better, as he has scored 3 goals already. Yet, he has never been capped for the French National team, on any level. You can make an arguement that French and Holland have pretty similar depth going forward, so I found it interesting that we are biting our nails hoping Holland doesn't call JDG2 when there is also zero indication that Pereira will be called for France. Then again though, Mallorca are now tied for fifth and people will now be watching them more closely, should be interesting to see if either gets called up in the upcomming months.

• 3 weeks later...
Jono won't be called up by Holland, Jono won't be called up by Holland. Keep repeating it and it will come true.

Before the season ends he'll be capped by Holland, that is what I think.

I 'm hoping the Dutch help us out and refuse to cap De Guzman out of principal. Afterall, they would be speaking German right now if it wasn't for us.

I 'm hoping the Dutch help us out and refuse to cap De Guzman out of principal. Afterall, they would be speaking German right now if it wasn't for us.

Right. So would the English yet they treat our Canadians as 3rd class citizens in the soccer world.

Why wouldn't they, Britain's Queen is still our Monarch.

Why wouldn't they? Did you seriously just write why wouldn't they? Why wouldn't they? lol, why wouldn't they?

Sure, let's just be ungrateful and take another's country support for granted. I mean, they are apart of our "monarch". Granted, it has no power or influence over them in this day and age, all the more reason we should be thankful but let's just take the support for granted.

Why wouldn't they? Did you seriously just write why wouldn't they? Why wouldn't they? lol, why wouldn't they?

Sure, let's just be ungrateful and take another's country support for granted. I mean, they are apart of our "monarch". Granted, it has no power or influence over them in this day and age, all the more reason we should be thankful but let's just take the support for granted.

Believe me, our support in the two world wars was automatic. The declaration of war was not a debate. if that's not taking something for granted I don't know what is.

Believe me, our support in the two world wars was automatic. The declaration of war was not a debate. if that's not taking something for granted I don't know what is.

No one is debating that. I was taking issue with how you were condoning the fact they took our support for granted.

If it wasn't for us the Americans would have came in a few days later, but yes instead of German, English is now a mandatory language in Dutch schools :D.

On a serious note, if you believe the soccer establishment in the Netherlands is going to do us a favour for something that happened long before anyone in control was born I think you are mistaken. All the eligibility rules favour the big nations and they have taken advantage of them at every turn. Lower nations such as us see the benefit when players from good nations are not good enough for them, Pedro Pacheco, Milan Borjan, Marc Bircham are current examples.

If De guzman is good enough to play for the Dutch they will cap him, right now I think he is a bubble player. We have a slight chance but nothing I feel confident about.

If it wasn't for us the Americans would have came in a few days later, but yes instead of German, English is now a mandatory language in Dutch schools :D.

On a serious note, if you believe the soccer establishment in the Netherlands is going to do us a favour for something that happened long before anyone in control was born I think you are mistaken. All the eligibility rules favour the big nations and they have taken advantage of them at every turn. Lower nations such as us see the benefit when players from good nations are not good enough for them, Pedro Pacheco, Milan Borjan, Marc Bircham are current examples.

If De guzman is good enough to play for the Dutch they will cap him, right now I think he is a bubble player. We have a slight chance but nothing I feel confident about.

Do you think I was being serious when I wrote that?

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunate but not suprising news.

Dutch translated headline "Van Marwijk admits to monitoring de Guzman"

http://www.goal.com/id-ID/news/1362/sepakbola-belanda/2010/12/30/2283327/van-marwijk-akui-pantau-de-guzman

Dude, that article is in Indonesian!

Here's the translation according to Google:

Appearances midfielder Jonathan de Guzman did not seem to escape the observation of the Dutch national team coach Bert van Marwijk.

De Guzman to leave Feyenoord Rotterdam free agent last summer and is now the mainstay of Mallorca. Different from his position as a winger during the strengthening Feyenoord, De Guzman placed in Mallorca in central midfield.

"We continue to monitor it. We are not unaware of good appearance De Guzman in Spain," said Van Marwijk told Voetbal International.

"If Jonathan continues to perform well, of course calling the national team just a matter of time. I think he deserves invoked. Just as with Royston Drenthe, I had one year to consider calling him into the national team. If Drenthe continue to perform well with Hercules, he entered our radar. Once also with De Guzman. "

"I think De Guzman is a great player. He has long entrance monitoring, but unfortunately often injured. However we still monitor it. Players like De Guzman would never have escaped notice."

So it would seem that from all I've read about this situation, it's going to be Dutch or nothing.

He wants them, they'll keep him on the radar so any notion of playing for someone else remains non existent. If it never pans out, then no pro int'l career for him I guess? Although that seems odd to me, maybe I just don't understand the mind of a footballer well enough.

My train of thought may just be influenced by jealousy anyway...

Archived