Young keepers

Jay20

Josh Wagenaar, no club 1985 doesn’t play for last 2 years. I’m hoping that Josh will find club and play. I think he is huge talent.

David Monsalve, FC Inter Turku 1988 Jump in the net of Inter Turku. He was invited for MNT. One game against Jamaica.

Michal Misiewicz, Sunderland AFC 1990 He was huge when playing for Sunderland Academy and proof to be big deal during Francophone Games. After turning pro he didn’t play.

Kyle Porter, no club? 1990 Can’t find too much info about him.

Adam Street, no club 1991 Very good few seasons in West Ham United Academy. Few really good games for National side. Against Argentina U20 the best Canadian player. Unfortunately doesn’t have club.

Robert Stillo, Genoa FC 1991 Always around National Teams. Doesn’t play for his club.

Jordan Santiago, Cardiff FC 1991 Just sign 6 months pro contract with Cardiff FC. Number 1 keeper for Cardiff Academy. I wonder if he can find his form before his illness. Best wishes to him

Garrett Cyprus, Toronto FC 1992 Can’t find too much info about him

Julien Latendresse Levesque, Energie Cottbus/Vancouver 1991 In my opinion next number 1 in Canada. Excellent last season in Germany. I hope he will do much better than Misiewicz and Street after signing pro contract.

Richard Causton, Vancouver Whitecaps 1992 Not much to say about him.

Who is next number 1?

I hope I'm wrong but Street seems to be another case of a youth player we overestimated a little bit. He has completly disapeared since leaving WHU.

I don't know about that, a number of us got to watch him in person against Argentina 2 years ago and he looked solid. He's probably just taking some time off to regroup and go on trial in Europe after the WC.

I don't know about that, a number of us got to watch him in person against Argentina 2 years ago and he looked solid. He's probably just taking some time off to regroup and go on trial in Europe after the WC.

I second that. I was really excited to see him play. He had a great first half before they subbed him for Misc.

As a west ham supporter as well they have (in the pecking order)

1. Robert Green (England's #1) Age 30

2. Marek Stech (CZech Republic U21 I believe) Age 20

3. Péter Kurucz (Hungary U21) Age 22

And Green hasn't missed a league game in 3 years. Doesn't leave a lot of room for first team action. I really hope Streety gets back to playing. Apparently he was pretty highly regarded in West Ham's youth system

i second that. I was really excited to see him play. He had a great first half before they subbed him for misc.

As a west ham supporter as well they have (in the pecking order)

1. Robert green (formerlyengland's #1) age 30

2. Marek stech (czech republic u21 i believe) age 20

3. Péter kurucz (hungary u21) age 22

and green hasn't missed a league game in 3 years. Doesn't leave a lot of room for first team action. I really hope streety gets back to playing. Apparently he was pretty highly regarded in west ham's youth system

fyp

Robert Giacomi and Thomas Lindley were also pretty highly regarded at some point and look where they are playing these days. The fact Street has been nowhere to be seen lately is a bit alarming for me. If he is that good and left WHU it should've been for another club not to disapear.

Anyways, I hope I'm wrong because I don't like to see young prospect falling under the radar.

Prime example of the impact of having little to no professional structure in Canada from a national player development perspective. Players who could potentially have a future in the game get 2-3 years of high level academy training, get cut loose and basically end up playing in Vancouver or Toronto men's leagues on the road to nowhere. Some of them might just not have the talent but I'm sure if there were 6 or 7 pro teams with reserves in Canada a guy like Street would already be playing somewhere.

Roberto Stillo is signing a 3 year extension with Genoa CFC in Italy after 3 years of youth sector with the club. . He has had a very successful year with Genoa reserves winning first the SupperCoppa in Sept. which was league champion vs. cup champion from the previous year. Then just last week, winning the national title for the league, Genoa's first in their history! . He played only 10 games plus tournaments this year but he was backing up Italys national U19 keeper so playing time was tough to come by. When he played, he did very well and made a name for himself which is why they are extending his contract. A big part of the game is playing whatever roll your team requires you to play and always being ready when your called upon. Its an important part of being a footballer that not many kids can handle and overcome. He still trains under Gianluca Spinelli regarded as Italys #1 keeper trainer by all the keeper trainers in Italy. Roberto continues to train 3 times a week under Spinelli and the first team players. I know to most Canadians it doesn't mean much ,what he is accomplishing, but he is playing and is now a national Champion for a top half, Seria A clubs reserve side. Not to bad for a Mississauga born and most importantly a Canadian! There are always going to be skeptics and people to try and keep you down........its what motivates and fuels him to succeed even more. Funny how these are the very same people that claim to " know soccer"and "know talent" They are the very people that said he wasnt very good, and where is he now? Where are the others that were "better" him? Canada continues to lack the culture to develope, and the vision to recogize talent and he is only 1 of many with the potential to bring Canada back to the world stage of football. Dont know if it will happen in my time, but if you dont have the courage and make changes to a failing system then we desreve where we are in the world standings and our track record speaks for itself. Thats the update foplks!

THIS IS FANTASIC NEWS we are so happy for Stillo. I believe this is a very big step for his future at a so young age which no Canadian has ever done in Italy at this age. This 3 year is so big and in terrority to have the first Canadian to play on a Serie A team very SOON!

congrats Robert we are very proud of you. Both birds are cheering for you and your progress.

Thanks, both Big Birds ! I know you share the passion and vision and know the struggles first hand. Its hard to relate the trials and tribulations to other canadians out there, and whats always hard is when you don't receive the support and recognition that you work so hard for from your own country as you can probably relate to. When we talk about this, we try and stay focused and understand that when you open doors and trail blaze, its always going to be difficult. There are so many other Canadian kids like Roberto and Littlebird with the potential, and i hope they both open the doors for these kids to atleast have a trial. Needless to say, that with Canada not having a presence on the worlds greatest stage and doing so poorly in the youth sectors in the past, creates little interest for Canadian talent, atleast in Italy. As you say, one day at a time, one step at a time, and with a little luck and alot of hard work, maybe we will see both kids at the top levels one day. Robert is still eligible for another year of primavera, so we wait to hear if they will loan him out or keep him there under Spinelli. Roberto and Little bird on the same team next season? Anything is possible, but what a wild idea! Ciao, and thanks always for the support!

As you mentioned nothing comes easy in Italy, but your right, It is hard for any player in Italy to be recognized as progress is not measured here by the same comparisons to other leagues in the world and is very much underrated in many views of this forum but I have tried to convince but have failed and let me save you some time as your relatively new to this, its on deaf ears.

Time will tell if our kids today are doing the right thing or not. Will it make them better players, if supported by many here, I do not think so.

These players and others, I’m sure are in somewhat the same boat they themselves can only make the difference pending how bad they want it. Not us as parents. We will always proud of their accomplishments and we can never give them enough support I’ve learned from the past, players like to stay out of politics while parents get involved in it. It’s all crap and a waste of time if you ask me so why bother. Your son at 18 now two years in has a great start better then my son with Milan, Little bird today at 23 now on his 8th year in Italy and let me say it has never been easy, but the good thing is he a better player then yesterday, play each year at a higher level and or accomplishing many feats but only thanks to playing time without that it is a tougher battle keeping anyone there. specially if little progress is made. Both are still learning and playing with the 2nd best country for instructions as to how to play the game, second to Brazil. A huge gain, I think. Who knows if all goes well eventually, there is a possibly to accomplish the most difficult feats for any young person who is Canadian playing in Italy

1) Serie A team

2) Their MNT

And your son has a great start if he can get the 3 years from Genoa boy that is huge terriorty that no other canadian has even gotten to but lets hope they will some day play together on the same team otherwise "somebody going to get hurt real bad" lololol

But Alex I disagree on one thing that you said Canadian talent is not looked in Italy. This is not true. The problem falls that they invest lots of time for these player to go there, trial and then whne ask to remain they fly home no sooner then you can say boo because they are spoiled to death here by their parents, they miss home, the luxury of Canadian style living, accommodations and facilities girlfriends boyfriends etc etc .

That’s why I was told many do not scout here;;;;;it is a waste of time and effort,. but I can be wrong!

Less us know when the signing takes place good RS and AS

Alex and BigBird,

First of all, I'd like to applaud all the effort and sacrifice that you and your families have made towards your sons' achieving their professional dreams. I'm a little confused, though, about what seems like hostility towards the members of this board. Now, I've only been active on this forum for the past two or three years, but I've only ever seen your efforts praised by the Voyageurs. Moreso than any other group in Canada, the Vs recognise the efforts of Canadian players at home and abroad and only ever wish for their success. It's regrettable if you have encountered hostility or resistance to your efforts from the general Canadian football community. If you've gotten it from the Vs, it's unforgivable. I'm sure I speak for just about everybody here when I say that we want nothing more than to see your boys succeed at the highest possible level of play. Hell, I'd love to share a beer with you in Brazil '14 while we toast the efforts of Canada in reaching the World Cup, hopefully with your boys on the field.

Keep up all the good efforts,

Amrit

You are right SthmelbRed in that, if anything, there is more frustration in the soccer community than in the members of the board. The real problem is in our system and the powers that be in that system that fail time and time again to recognize talent and stand in the way of potential stars of the game. One may argue that if it was truely a dream, no matter what, the cream would always rise to the top. Its not that I disagree with that, but my problem is with the people who tell you this, know little more than the avg. person about the game and they are supposed to be the experts at the highest levels! i would have no problem respecting a coach or persons who have played the game at the highest levels or coached at the highest levels, and I mean not just in Canada or Ontario! We have very limited, experienced and capable people leading our youth and training our future stars. The system is undergoing change as we speak, but it may take some time. 2014 would be a dream, 2018 more of a reality if the progress continues. Thanks for the advice BigBird, I know you have tried in the past with no success, and maybe I will bring the same things to light with little more success than you did. Thats how changes come about and hopefully more will follow for the good of the game and our kids in the future. Any Canadian abroad appreciates support from this board and we are no different. On lives the dream.........

I think you misunderstood my comments. I am not hostile to anyone nor resistance for my efforts from the general Canadian football community, this forum is fair and has been always and well updated with good opinions, some neutral and then there are the critics, that’s part of the game. I have stop all discussion across this forum and only limited to Italy players progress and movement based on factual material and on record.

I enjoy this forum reading it and love keeping it up to date to those who are interested, but also very proud to hear good news like the Stillo's specially when i am the one that keeps this forum abreast of what is happening in Italy with all of them.

If i did not, who would, it would be low discussion material if any, because many think the leagues our kids play is a crap, and that is not the case they are as good or better amongst some and most MLS teams etc etc etc. That was the discussion I meant to make reference of. not anything else in a previous topic on this forum.

I am cool on this even thou there was many that disagreed with me I felt it went on deaf ears meaning I could not convince many to agree with me> So I guess i was wrong and just pass the message to ALEX to move forward, so please do not take this message any other way but good only....

Nothing would please me more then to have a beer anytime , name the place I be there, keep up the good work and the feeling is mutual...about the young men in our youth system....

Archived