Attendence in First week of USSF Division 2

Erm 'Borrowed' the following Info from Inside soccer (hope they dont mind)

Week 1

St.Louis@Carolina 2,013

Rochester@Miami 1,235

Montreal@Austin 2,642

NSC @ Vancouver 4,934.

Average gate of 2256 across 4 games

To put it in perspective.

Division 3 in the English League had an Average gate of 3185. across 12 games

So I dont think that Week 1 was that bad.

Miami However appear to be twined with Barnet. They had 1433 come through the turnstiles:o

Tampa are also rumored to have 1000 season tickets signed up.

Again that would be consider a good preload by Div3 English standards

Keep up the good work guys and girls:D

I just wish they could sit the cameras looking towards the Main (and probably fullest) stand.

Miami However appear to be twined with Barnet. They had 1433 come through the turnstiles:o

Not to be too picky, but Barnet is in Division 4 (Coca Cola League Two), but I get your point. I saw Barnet play in 2006 and we had about 2,000 or so show up.

Not to be too picky, but Barnet is in Division 4 (Coca Cola League Two), but I get your point. I saw Barnet play in 2006 and we had about 2,000 or so show up.

Division 4 is correct. Since they changed all the Names I get confused:o

Have done for the Last fifteen years.

I often refer to the EPL, under its old name, which is really Division 1, Well it was the Last time Leeds United won it!:P.

What I find suprising is that young Canadian Soccer fans I speak to, stuggle with the concept of Promotion and relegation. Heaven Knows what they though happened to Newcastle this year. Or Leeds United over the Last five years for that matter

Anyway the Thing is Barnet still keep ticking over on gates between 1500 and 2000 so If I was a Miami Fan I wouldn't get too dispondent yet.

Sorry to butt in with a post that has nothing to do with English beer leagues, but Portland managed crowds of up to 14,000 last season but on average were below those at Stade Sapudo. Pretty decent numbers between the Impact and the Timbers.

how come VAN cant sellout swangard@ home opener?

I'd say it had to do a lot with the fabulous weather, coupled with the 4pm kick off...

Lots of folks doing outdoorsy stuff, and to be honest the media, sports media specifically, haven't been covering the Caps at all... :(

It was a good atmosphere, just not enough people.

also would like to mention we now have a lot of "part timers" now purchasing tix to NASL Caps just to skip the line come buying MLS Caps Tickets...

well the fabulous weather should be a good reason to want to go outside and watch the caps... because if they're goin to use the weather excuse, it goes both ways..."the weather sucks, no way i'm sitting out there for 2 hours"

just hoping there will be decent crowds once in MLS!

well the fabulous weather should be a good reason to want to go outside and watch the caps... because if they're goin to use the weather excuse, it goes both ways..."the weather sucks, no way i'm sitting out there for 2 hours"

just hoping there will be decent crowds once in MLS!

Great weather coupled with 4pm KO.

If you go for a day of walking downtown, or the seawall, how do you get home and drop off the family to get to a caps game? It's too long a day to have small kids out after a full day etc...

I'm not making excuses, its just my theory on perhaps why the stadium wasn't at capacity.

The Canucks usually finish their season around the time the Whitecaps start theres. When the Canucks are doing well around the end of the season, the media generally engage in a big, self-congratulatory wank fest until the Canucks get dumped out.

For example, the last Canucks match was on Saturday (three days ago)... yet today, on Tuesday, a photo of one of the Canucks players was on the front cover and back (sports) cover of The Province (a rag, admittedly).

Once the Canucks get golfing, Swangard should start to fill out a bit more.

But yes... even last year there were some mid-season matches on beautiful days where attendance seemed sparse. Go figure.

how come VAN cant sellout swangard@ home opener?

JohnnyCanuck and B&W are both kind of right. I hate Sunday games and 4pm games. For me, it has to do with intensity, but for the casuals, there is just too much other stuff going on. I think the main factor is the Canucks. Nothing else exists until they got knocked out of the playoffs. That is why I really hope the have an awful season next year to coincide with the Caps MLS entry.

Mhm, whenever they ha ve the cheap beer promotions, they usually have 1k more than us in attendance.

Add to that they have free buses and really half the attendance is dirty hippy tree huggers protesting the team name.

Great weather coupled with 4pm KO.

If you go for a day of walking downtown, or the seawall, how do you get home and drop off the family to get to a caps game? It's too long a day to have small kids out after a full day etc...

I'm not making excuses, its just my theory on perhaps why the stadium wasn't at capacity.

That theory would probably be supported by 25% of those fans showing up after the game was well underway. Four PM is when eastern games are played it's a terrible time.

:o

Portland drew a crowd of 15,418 for their season opener against Rochester.

http://www.soccercityusa.com/timbers/roc041710.htm

The Portsmouth Aston Villa game in the EPL drew 16,523, true its was the ultimate meaningless fixture, but all the same; Way to Go Timbers!

That kind of attendance belays any doubts as to why they would be moving up to MLS.

:o

The Portsmouth Aston Villa game in the EPL drew 16,523, true its was the ultimate meaningless fixture, but all the same; Way to Go Timbers!

That kind of attendance belays any doubts as to why they would be moving up to MLS.

The game didn't get alot of attention in the local media (though it's true, rarely do they notice) and we had never had more than 12,295 for a home opener, and that was this team's first season in 2001, so the 15,000+ figure was quite a surprise.

Our next home game on Thursday goes up against NBA Blazers' first home playoff game, so I imagine that will be a smaller crowd.

I am tracking the USSF Division 2 attendance for 2010 here:

http://www.soccercityusa.com/2010uslatt.html

Archived