Canadian Club Nick Names...

Just reading some international club team news.. and it struck me .. do any of our Canadian Pro or semi-pro clubs have true nick names.. ones made up by fans or journalists that have caught on ?

I know TFC folks us the term Reds.. but I kinda feel that just a faux Euro rip off .... as opposed to a true nick name.

So .. one, do we have any nick names ... and two if you were making up a name for a club ... what would it be .... ??

I think the fact that two out of the three Canadian pro clubs, Vancouver and Montreal, already have set nicknames as their club names, makes it kinda hard for something of the classical Euro fan/journalist nicknaming to happen. The Reds for TFC is actually 100% fan and journalist driven, so I think it qualifies just as much as any of the Euro nicknames that exist. I mean really, did a fan come up with Red Devils for Utd., or the Wanderers for Bolton? If you look at Italian clubs, their nicknames are the most unoriginal things in the world, like Rossoneri, which is the Red and Blacks, Azzuneri, Blue and Blacks, or Bianconeri, White and Blacks. I mean come on, really? That's the best they could do?

Euro nicknames = o-ver-ra-ted clap clap clapclapclap

I don't really hear people saying the 'Reds' too much.

I can't think of anything that people readily say except when they lose badly and those names aren't very nice.

The whole 'FC' debacle at this point is just perpetuated by the media to piss people off I think. They know it pisses everyone off.

Im not too sure if we give 'Nicknames' to Indivuals in Canada (in the UEPL you have 'Stevie G' for Steven Gerrard 'Lamps' for Frank Lampard 'Shrek' for you know who*) but, According to his reputed six figure salary, I've started refering to the newley appointed Coach of the Fledgling FCEdmonton, as Dwight LOW-WAGES:D

By the Way, FCEdmonton wont be the Drillers, as they still exist as a MISL team :confused:. Any suggestions?

* Shrek = Wayne Rooney:p

^ The Rocket, the Pocket Rocket, Boom Boom, the Great One, Sid the Kid, the Golden Jet, Moose, Stevie Y, Grapes, Big Bird. You might want to educate yourself dude.

DeRo (De Rosario obviously), Jules (JDG), Eddie (Sebrango), just to name a few player nicknames that have evolved. While not very original, they still have come from fan contributions. I didn't get one for Vancouver, someone's gotta have one.

A friend and I used to catch gophers at the parks in our area. City used to pay petty cash depending on how many tails you brought 'em. Mhm... dems were the days. We caught this one lil bastard, put him in a pet carrier, those things are vicious as hell when caught. He scratched my buddy so bad he had to get stitches in his hand.

Maybe a Saskatchewan supporter's group would just huck dead gophers at the opposition fans?:mad:

Maybe a Saskatchewan supporter's group would just huck dead gophers at the opposition fans?:mad:

That would just be so disgusting. Please throw dead AA batteries instead :)

My dad was from Sask and told me about that passtime. I could just see some little gopher sticking his head out of the hole and looking around then getting clothes-lined royally. Too funny. Think of Skrat from the ice age movies and you get the picture.

If you look at Italian clubs, their nicknames are the most unoriginal things in the world, like Rossoneri, which is the Red and Blacks, Azzuneri, Blue and Blacks, or Bianconeri, White and Blacks. I mean come on, really? That's the best they could do?

Well, those are the nicknames because they sound good in Italian. It's why English Sonnets have different ryhme schemes compared to Italian ones. Besides the language differences, English has fewer words that ryhme together compared to Italian ones.

Well, those are the nicknames because they sound good in Italian. It's why English Sonnets have different ryhme schemes compared to Italian ones. Besides the language differences, English has fewer words that ryhme together compared to Italian ones.

And thats why Itallians Do Opera and Canada Has Bachman Turner Overdrive:cool:

By the Way Ed , There is also a Rocket in the UK, but he's a Manic depressive Snooker Player called Rocket Ronnie Sullivan. He's Kinda Like Marvin the Paranoid android with a pool stick, but in a fluffly bunny way and certainly not as scary as the 'Grinder' Cliff Thorburn.

I'll Wiki the rest ;)

There is some minor and unofficial talk of Les Goelands in reference to the Impact. It means Seagulls, and many are to be found all over the Olympic Park and one famously attacked John Carver on the sidelines during an NCC match. Who knows if it will stick.

There is some minor and unofficial talk of Les Goelands in reference to the Impact. It means Seagulls, and many are to be found all over the Olympic Park and one famously attacked John Carver on the sidelines during an NCC match. Who knows if it will stick.

LOL!

I will never forget the seagull hotdog battle that went on during a TFC match once. It was hilarious.

Then they got Bitchy the hawk. Not a seagull in sight since, must be one mean hawk.

In that regard, all-time classic nickname inspired by the V's: "Pwamme".

Wasn't "Pwamme" the result of a poorly-named AP picture? I don't think the V's "inspired" it as much as we ran with it.

Archived