Canadian Club Nick Names...

Wasn't "Pwamme" the result of a poorly-named AP picture? I don't think the V's "inspired" it as much as we ran with it.

Yep it was a quite poorly captioned picture of the Cdn "Pwamme" in action in the LG Cup in Egypt in 2001, which led to us calling him Pwamme for a year or so.

There's really only one truly "V's inspired" nickname, for a Cdn who never suited up for Canada. You might be able to guess it.

Yep it was a quite poorly captioned picture of the Cdn "Pwamme" in action in the LG Cup in Egypt in 2001, which led to us calling him Pwamme for a year or so.

There's really only one truly "V's inspired" nickname, for a Cdn who never suited up for Canada. You might be able to guess it.

I have a pretty good idea ;)

Hahaha ah yes, that really is an original piece isn't it :D

Taking this on a step...

Are their any good Mascots?

In the UK they tend to be cheerleaders in holloween style animal costumes, who spend every minute of the game rousing the Home fans whilst trying to wind up the oposition.

The Most famous I would wager is Cyril the swan.

Cyril has often been in trouble with the Police, mainly for fighting with other mascots and stewards.

Check out his Bio on Wikipedia below and you'll get my drift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_the_Swan

Does Cyril have a Canadian Equal?

Taking this on a step...

Are their any good Mascots?

In the UK they tend to be cheerleaders in holloween style animal costumes, who spend every minute of the game rousing the Home fans whilst trying to wind up the oposition.

The Most famous I would wager is Cyril the swan.

Cyril has often been in trouble with the Police, mainly for fighting with other mascots and stewards.

Check out his Bio on Wikipedia below and you'll get my drift.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyril_the_Swan

Does Cyril have a Canadian Equal?

Over here it is mostly cute dumb animals for entertaining the kiddies. The only good ones I can remember were Crazy George (BC Lions) and for soccer the Portland Timbers had Timber Jim.

The closest thing to a mascot here in Toronto is Bitchy, the Harris hawk socceronly mentioned above who is tasked with keeping the seagulls at bay. She has a permanent perch atop the west stand press box.

Given that she is a real hawk, I'm not sure she counts, though. :)

Only nicks I've ever used for montreal is bleu blanc noir and les goelands.

Goelands seems better for me, as they're a constant at Stade Saputo, and endeared themselves when they attacked Carver.

The seagulls are born with a dislike of Toronto, whats not to love? But I doubt it'll ever gain prominence, unless someone in the press uses it.

LOL !

It's time our mascots show some grit like that !

If you like Cyril. check out this BBC link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/funny_old_game/1697771.stm

there is also a BBC TV 'Match of the day' trailer that looks a bit like Walt disney on Acid. (you'll have to put up with an anoying Car Add first mind)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8175365.stm

Enjoy!

The closest thing to a mascot here in Toronto is Bitchy, the Harris hawk socceronly mentioned above who is tasked with keeping the seagulls at bay. She has a permanent perch atop the west stand press box.

Given that she is a real hawk, I'm not sure she counts, though. :)

Are you kidding? Makes her count so much the more.

That rocks.

Are you kidding? Makes her count so much the more.

That rocks.

Highland Regiments tend to Have goats you know;)

Also Shouldn't the Chicargo fire Have a Big Fluffy Dalmation called 'Al' ?

Anyway, In between the oh so anoying buffering I watched the End of the Carolina Railhawks game on the web, and caught sight of that there Railhawk's Mascot...

I reckon both Cyril and Bitchy would 'Ave 'im!

???

There is some minor and unofficial talk of Les Goelands in reference to the Impact. It means Seagulls, and many are to be found all over the Olympic Park and one famously attacked John Carver on the sidelines during an NCC match. Who knows if it will stick.

So as you can see its extremely minor in use, but its not as if I just pulled it out of my ass.

Archived