Junior "don't call me David' Hoilett joins Full-Time: Vancouver's Soccer Show

Full-Time

Jr. Hoilett, the young up and coming striker for Blackburn Rovers and potential Canadian International is set to join Full-Time: Vancouver's Soccer Show on the TEAM 1040 on Sunday, January 31st, 2010 at 9pm PT. We discuss his career to date, his potential future at the club level and we will also get into his international future. It's going to be very interesting.

On a side note, we have determined that he is known as Jr. Hoilett, not David.

Listen to the program on Sunday in Vancouver on TEAM 1040am or online at http://www.teamradio.ca

http://www.teamradio.ca/shows/soccer_show/index.php?

Yeah....I don't feel too optimistic after hearing that interview. I have a feeling that he is waiting on England. But if England isn't in the cards he could easily choose Jamacia instead of us. As a fan it is probably best to just forget about him for the next few years because speculation will just drive you mad. Pretty hard though when he is being mentioned in Canadians abroad every week...

Yeah....I don't feel too optimistic after hearing that interview. I have a feeling that he is waiting on England. But if England isn't in the cards he could easily choose Jamacia instead of us. As a fan it is probably best to just forget about him for the next few years because speculation will just drive you mad. Pretty hard though when he is being mentioned in Canadians abroad every week...

I don't think he's waiting for England, neither England for him. Junior has 15 EPL appearances and no goals yet, that's not enough to earn a spot with England NT.

The guy is only 19 years old, so he's got plenty of time to decide on his international future. Assuming he doesn't set the league ablaze by the start of 2014 qualifying and plays for England, its Canada vs Jamaica. And looking at the respective rosters, I feel pretty confident that Canada would be a better option by then, despite what happened last night. You have to say that Canada has a better crop of young defenders, and that Canada's first choice midfielders are better. They have the edge at the forward position right now, and neither team has real depth at GK. And most importantly, by the time 2012 rolls around there will be three Canadian teams in MLS, hopefully providing depth to the NT that the Jamaicans can't match.

I've never understood why anyone thinks he's even considering Canada. Nothing he's ever said or done indicates that it's even remotely possible.

I've never understood why anyone thinks he's even considering Canada. Nothing he's ever said or done indicates that it's even remotely possible.

Do you mean England? Because I can see why people are suggesting he's considering either Canada or Jamaica, but England, I'm not too sure.

Hoillett and family have been quite clear that international soccer is not a priority right now. Their #1 priority is establishing a solid club career and I really cant blame Junior. What good would international duty do for him right now? If he chooses Canada, which I hope he does, it will come at a time when it suits him best.

Dr. Killinger...in general, I agree with some of your comments but a measly 3 MLS teams won't give Canada the depth needed to impress any player who is sitting on the fence to choose Canada. Our problems in terms of proper player development are much deeper and more profound than the a mere 3 pro teams can fix.

He'll play for Jamaica. Everything points to it.

Duane, I wouldn't be so definitive. I truly don't think he cares much about his international career at this stage. Having spoken to people who know the family, there are hard some feelings for Ontario/Canada but I believe that can be overcome in due time. The thing I am always told is that the family is singularly focused on establishing the club career. NT duty is an unnecessary distraction

^ If establishing club career is such an important part of the family philosophy then why is Janeil already playing for Canada? Was it viewed as being beneficial for his development, but not Juniors?

I have no idea why someone would willingly choose to play for Jamaica over Canada. As dysfunctional as the CSA is the JFF is much worse. The CSA may be underfunded and incompetent, but the JFF is impoverished, incompetent and corrupt. When Burrell lost the last elections he left the new president with no money to run the football operations, he was forced to resign and they had to bring back "the Captain" and subsequently rely on handouts from CONCACAF and CFU to prepare for the run up to 2008.

^ why is Janeil already playing for Canada? Was it viewed as being beneficial for his development, but not Juniors?

Because Janeil's career stands to benefit from international experience FAR more than Junior's. Junior has always been the "can't miss kid". Janeil is not at that level so intenational exposure is good for him and will help further his career.

NT duty is an unnecessary distraction

I don’t agree with the family comment. To play with a NT increases the monetary value of a professional player. In addition, to many players and specially their agents, international competition is only a question of marketing. To play international level helps the player to settle down with its club, and since Junior and his family are working so hard to establish Junior at his club, I find hard to believe that Junior family really believes that “NT duty is an unnecessary distraction”.

^ I agree with you that NT duty increases a player's value, to a point. A 19 year old who starts in EPL probably doesn't really need a lot more exposure than he is already getting. Playing meaningless friendlies for Canada (or Jamaica) isn't going to boost his value on the transfer market more than doing well in a Blackburn v Arsenal fixture. Let's not overvalue Canada and how much a CMNT cap is going to benefit a player of Junior's stature. Conversely, his younger brother would most certainly benefit from that exposure (same as many of the new faces who were at MNT camp these past 2 weeks....those guys benefit immensely from the experience...looks great on their CVs)

Now, if Junior were looking for extra exposure, he might be wise to agree to suit up for Canada in May when they go to South America for a pair of friendlies. Doing well in those games could add a notch in his belt (but I'm not counting on it).

Also, keep in mind that there are also plenty of Canadians who have told horror stories of how their club situation has been derailed by NT duty rather than helped. That is the exception rather than the rule but look at the game of career ping pong JDG played as a result of his commitment to Canada in his youth NT days. That isn't everyone's experience but it did happen to the player who has evolved into our top player.

^ If establishing club career is such an important part of the family philosophy then why is Janeil already playing for Canada? Was it viewed as being beneficial for his development, but not Juniors?

I have no idea why someone would willingly choose to play for Jamaica over Canada. As dysfunctional as the CSA is the JFF is much worse. The CSA may be underfunded and incompetent, but the JFF is impoverished, incompetent and corrupt. When Burrell lost the last elections he left the new president with no money to run the football operations, he was forced to resign and they had to bring back "the Captain" and subsequently rely on handouts from CONCACAF and CFU to prepare for the run up to 2008.

Where are you getting this nonsense from? Its not true...

^ I agree with you that NT duty increases a player's value, to a point. A 19 year old who starts in EPL probably doesn't really need a lot more exposure than he is already getting. Playing meaningless friendlies for Canada (or Jamaica) isn't going to boost his value on the transfer market more than doing well in a Blackburn v Arsenal fixture. Let's not overvalue Canada and how much a CMNT cap is going to benefit a player of Junior's stature.

It may not raise his value that much but I think like 70% of caps would raise a players value abit. I think Canada and Jamaica would both be seen as decently valueable in this respect, just not caps from like Bhutan and Andorra.

Let's not overvalue Canada and how much a CMNT cap is going to benefit a player of Junior's stature

I don't try to overvalue Canada. I didn't want to add this in my last post but since you left me no choice, the sad truth is that someone who plays for, lets say the German NT, will get a better monetary value than someone who plays for the Canadian NT.

the sad truth is that someone who plays for, lets say the German NT, will get a better monetary value than someone who plays for the Canadian NT.

You are correct and it is unfortunate...and it needs to change.

A USMNT full senior cap is starting to carry some decent value. We need the same to apply to a CMNT cap...in today's football universe, that will go a long way to helping us keep more "on the fence" players.

Where are you getting this nonsense from? Its not true...

Horace Burrell and Jack Warner are good friends, Burrell will probably succeed the scumbag when Warner retires. That's why the JFF gets the money it does from CONCACAF and the CFU. Without it the JFF falls into debt and cannot run it's team (like in 2007 when you barely played).

Boxhill was viewed as an outsider by Burrells former cronies and they were constantly trying to ride him out of town. By the end of his tenure the JFF was in debt over a $US1m because the tap had been turned off and the JFF had to rely on it's own revenue generation to run operations.

JFF $77.5 million in Debt

November 7, 2007

At yesterday's much anticipated press conference at the JFF headquarters in New Kingston, the president of the newly-installed Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) board, Captain Horace Burrell, revealed that preliminary estimates calculate the debts of the JFF at a staggering $77.5 million. He expressed that this was frightening as the nation was led to believe that the Federation was making a profit.

http://www.caribdaily.com/article/11594/boxhill-divisiveness-major-failure-of-jff/ (expired link)

Boxhill: Divisiveness major failure of JFF

By Ian Burnett Sport Editor

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Outgoing president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Crenston Boxhill, has cited divisiveness among the football fraternity as one of the major failures of his administration's four-year tenure.

He added: "Try as we did over the last four years, I was unable to put together the strongest, most unified team off the field, which of course, includes board members."

After the first year of Boxhill's administration, there was talk of a no-confidence motion being brought against him, but it failed to be mentioned at the Portland Congress. A year later at Munro, another no-confidence motion was brought against the administration, but it failed to get the required two-thirds majority.

And the period was plagued with resignations and reports of factions and even after Boxhill announced that he would not be seeking another term, there were calls for his immediate resignation.

But the divisiveness of the fraternity is not the only failing Boxhill cited. He mentioned the falloff of the senior team in recent time, the early exits of teams and the inability to secure enough practice games, as well as not being in office to open the Football Academy in Malvern, St Elizabeth.

"The inability, for various reasons, to get more practice games, especially at home, for all teams at all levels, would have made a huge difference," he said.

Hoillett and family have been quite clear that international soccer is not a priority right now. Their #1 priority is establishing a solid club career and I really cant blame Junior. What good would international duty do for him right now? If he chooses Canada, which I hope he does, it will come at a time when it suits him best.

Dr. Killinger...in general, I agree with some of your comments but a measly 3 MLS teams won't give Canada the depth needed to impress any player who is sitting on the fence to choose Canada. Our problems in terms of proper player development are much deeper and more profound than the a mere 3 pro teams can fix.

On your second point. 3 MLS teams maybe be a very good start and is miles ahead of what we have to offer Domestic players as of now, so any forward progress is good. I also think unless the player is undeniably dedicated to europe then maybe it won't be an attraction. IMO players that are floating around the leagues such Norway, Denmark, Belgium and the low leagues of England will see the MLS as a better quality of play. Unless they are getting the promise of top 5 league play in Europe or Champions League play that Canada and the MLS should be an attractive alternative to the lower Euro Leagues.

On your second point. 3 MLS teams maybe be a very good start and is miles ahead of what we have to offer Domestic players as of now, so any forward progress is good. I also think unless the player is undeniably dedicated to europe then maybe it won't be an attraction. IMO players that are floating around the leagues such Norway, Denmark, Belgium and the low leagues of England will see the MLS as a better quality of play. Unless they are getting the promise of top 5 league play in Europe or Champions League play that Canada and the MLS should be an attractive alternative to the lower Euro Leagues.

You are forgetting that the number 1 priority for many players in choosing a league is salary and even if the MLS is the equivalent to some of these leagues in playing level it is not salary wise except for the better paid players making those leagues still more attractive. Of course this depends partly on what happens with the salary cap in the near future. I do agree though that while 3 MLS teams and hopefully a few new teams in the NASL is not ideal, it is still much better than the current situation.

You are forgetting that the number 1 priority for many players in choosing a league is salary and even if the MLS is the equivalent to some of these leagues in playing level it is not salary wise except for the better paid players making those leagues still more attractive. Of course this depends partly on what happens with the salary cap in the near future. I do agree though that while 3 MLS teams and hopefully a few new teams in the NASL is not ideal, it is still much better than the current situation.

Yeah, thats true one can only hope after the this new CBA and a few years of progression of the league in expansion and what not that the salaries of players will continue to rise as I believe they have over the last 5 years since TFC was brought on board, so the progress is there. Yes it's gonna be slow and we are gonna have to be patient, but you gotta see this as a start to building a proper foundation and opportunity for Domestic players to come or stay home. The latter is probably more true as the more places we can develop our own players on our own soil the better chance they never leave or least stay longer than we are used to with our young guns.

Your right though salary is gonna be that last hurdle we will have to get over to keep a bulk of our players here in NA.

You are forgetting that the number 1 priority for many players in choosing a league is salary and even if the MLS is the equivalent to some of these leagues in playing level it is not salary wise except for the better paid players making those leagues still more attractive.

Bingo.....

I do agree though that while 3 MLS teams and hopefully a few new teams in the NASL is not ideal, it is still much better than the current situation.

Grizz...the key statement you make is the one I've bolded.

If we only go from 1 MLS and 2 USL/NASL clubs to 3 MLS clubs in 2012, then we've made, at best, a incredibly tiny step forward from the present situation.

If, however, we do see 3-4 more full time pro clubs competing in USL/NASL, each with a proper development structure below the 1st team, then that is a pretty significant step forward. Fingers are firmly crossed that it happens.

Has there been any talk in MTL about what happens with Saputo's NASL spot when Impact jump to MLS in 2012 (or 2011)??? It's widely discussed that Whitecaps have a plan to keep operating in the 2nd tier (and probably attaching its academy to that 2nd tier club) but no word from Montreal.

Yes I agree it is key that a few new NASL teams develop. In Montreal the talk was that Saputo was going to keep his USL franchise and use it for a team in Trois-Rivieres or Quebec City. I assume it would be the same with the NASL since Saputo was the driving force behind creating this league.

Just listened to the interview. What doesn't sound promising is how reluctant he is to talk about the international issue. You can really hear it in his voice that he doesn't want to talk about this. Good on the interviewer for sticking to the subject and asking him several questions despite his reluctance. Nevertheless, if Canada was his first choice I think he would be more open to talking about it. Interesting that he say the German fans are better than the English ones. I agree though there was a time when English fan culture was much better than it currently is.

Archived