Impact moving to sky blue for 2010?

Daniel

With new kits by Legea, there have been rumours on ImpactSoccer that the new kit will be sky blue.

It could be an interesting change in visual identity and branding to create something distinct. They are also looking at wearing the blue kit as primary and white as an alternate (no longer home/away).

Ongoing Discussion (in French): http://www.impactsoccer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7524&start=150

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

MLS has been going more and more with the first/second kits instead of home/away in the last few years.

Yeah, Toronto wears its reds against everyone unless they are away at a red team's stadium (or orange, in Houston's case).

Vancouver wears their whites unless there is a clash too, no?

quote:Originally posted by Vic

There has to be some for the Hell of it in the rules or else you end up with nuttiness like this:

article-1192715-05544FC5000005DC-498_468x299.jpg

It's ultimately up to the ref to make one of the teams change in such a case.

Something like that should never happen.

There has to be some for the Hell of it in the rules or else you end up with nuttiness like this:

article-1192715-05544FC5000005DC-498_468x299.jpg

I see no issue with that picture. The dark blue and turqoise strips worn by those two teams are sufficiently different that no serious problem is posed to the game. My club played a couple of years in Man City sky blue and regularly played against clubs wearing Greek blue (every 2nd club in Melbourne is Greek based) and it was never an issue.

Dark blue and turquoise? I'm pretty sure it's one team in a light shade of royal blue (Boston) and another in sky blue (ergo their name, NJ Sky Blue F.C.).

Something was obviously wrong on the day of that game because the team in royal blue should have been wearing their away whites. So it was either a laundry malfunction or more likely the referee thought the two tones of blue were more discernible than sky blue and white.

Here's another, this time Boston in royal again but playing Chicago Red Stars in a similar shade of weaker blue (and Canada's Christine Latham getting road rash from a late high set of predator blades):

igwe-latham.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=569&mh=569&mw=948&thn=0&w=948

Dark blue and turquoise? I'm pretty sure it's one team in a light shade of royal blue (Boston) and another in sky blue (ergo their name, NJ Sky Blue F.C.).

Something was obviously wrong on the day of that game because the team in royal blue should have been wearing their away whites. So it was either a laundry malfunction or more likely the referee thought the two tones of blue were more discernible than sky blue and white.

Here's another, this time Boston in royal again but playing Chicago Red Stars in a similar shade of weaker blue (and Canada's Christine Latham getting road rash from a late high set of predator blades):

igwe-latham.ashx?as=0&dmc=0&h=569&mh=569&mw=948&thn=0&w=948

well they're damned if they do, damned if they dont, since their blue looks like light blue, but so does their whites.

I would like to see the Impact change their kit for no other reason than the fact that we only have 3 pro teams in Canada and 2 of them (Montreal and Vancouver) have the same colours. Whether it be sky blue or a black/blue combo...whatever. Just not another blue and white team would be nice.

i have no doubt that the impact will be blue when they enter MLS....TFC did a very nice job selling themselves as 'canada's team'....nationalism as well as team pride help to bolster passion for the team....the red kits went a long way in achieving that tie...it does not surprise me one bit that the impact will attempt a similar strategy with quebec blue....even if the connection is a soft sell...the intent is clear.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

i have no doubt that the impact will be blue when they enter MLS....TFC did a very nice job selling themselves as 'canada's team'....nationalism as well as team pride help to bolster passion for the team....the red kits went a long way in achieving that tie...it does not surprise me one bit that the impact will attempt a similar strategy with quebec blue....even if the connection is a soft sell...the intent is clear.

Only Quebec blue is royal, not sky, and that's the angle the Impact have used for the last few years.

This is more about being distinct and building an Impact brand, especially as our colours and Vancouver's are currently identical.

While it is royal blue on the flag, I've seen other Quebec teams sporting a sky/light blue instead. Is it too far a stretch to think that people in Quebec would still connect reasonably well with the team if they stay with the lighter colour choice? For example, I think Quebec curling teams at the Brier and Scotty are in sky blue.

The original Quebec "fleurdelisé" flag was sky blue in 1948 but the colour has darkened over the years. The Nordiques uniform was based on the deeper blue from the newer flag.

180px-Flag-of-Montreal.JPG

Montreal's official colours are white and red, and the city flag is a carbon copy of England's St George's Cross, with symbols in the quadrants representing the French (fleur-de-lis), the English (rose), Irish (shamrock) and Scottish (thistle).

jersey1.jpg

The Montreal Canadians have worn dozens of versions of la Sainte-Flanelle bleu-blanc-rouge, virtually all of which all of which have been predominantly red with blue and white highlighting. Their original 1909-1910 jersey's (illustrated above) however are quite similar to the current Impact blue and jersey.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

I know sometimes a change in colour is a bit confusing/frustrating for fans (ie, the Buffalo Sabres!) but I am quite pleased if they switch to Sky Blue - frankly, it's been frustrating they have such a similar kit to Whitecaps.

Agreed.

Archived