Aug 4: TFC @ Puerto Rico (R)

Regardless of the outcome, it's TFC's last game against USL opposition in 2009...

I figured it's probably time to retire the other thread. A TFC win by any amount and they advance (1-0 after 90 = ET). A PRI win or draw and the Islanders do. Pretty simple math.

It's calling for 28C with a chance of thunderstorms. The humidity today was about 10C higher than the base temp., so you can expect about the same tomorrow.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

A TFC win by any amount and they advance (1-0 after 90 = ET).

I still don't get what you mean. They could very easily lose in ET or the shootout. If anything, the weather could beat them down to the point where pulling out a win after 90 minutes would be unlikely, so they've got to win by 2 to be safe.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

I still don't get what you mean. They could very easily lose in ET or the shootout. If anything, the weather could beat them down to the point where pulling out a win after 90 minutes would be unlikely, so they've got to win by 2 to be safe.

Simple – if the game is 1-0 TFC after 90 minutes, the game isn’t over yet. TFC would have to find a way to score another goal in the next 30 minutes or win PKs. But, the bottom line remains the same. If TFC walks off the pitch at the end of the night having won, it advances. It doesn’t matter if it takes 90 minutes, 120 minutes, or 120 minutes plus kicks. It’s all the same at the end of the day.

Just be winning when the ref tells you it’s time to walk off the pitch

I think something simple like this would be best

If TFC ties = They're eliminated

If TFC loses = They're eliminated

If TFC wins by 1 goal = Extra time needed and/or penalty kicks to decide the victor

If TFC wins by 2 goals or more = They're onto the next round

The best way to advance for TFC is of course to win by 2 goals or more, and hope there opponents don't score, which is highly unlikely of PR.

I predict and sorry to be pessimistic, even though I said I'd support TFC, but realistically, I don't think they can win by 2 goals or more at Juan Ramón Loubriel Stadium in Puerto Rico, based on their play the last CCL game and watching some USL webcasts of the PR Islanders, and they way they love to open up and go attack in there home turf.

Final predicted score: PR Islanders 2 - TFC - 1

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

If TFC wins by 1 goal = Extra time needed and/or penalty kicks to decide the victor

This is not right, though.

If TFC wins 1-0 then yes, the game will go on to extra time/penalties. But if TFC has any other 1-goal victory (2-1, 3-2, etc.), they advance due to the away goals rule.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

This is not right, though.

If TFC wins 1-0 then yes, the game will go on to extra time/penalties. But if TFC has any other 1-goal victory (2-1, 3-2, etc.), they advance due to the away goals rule.

Dude..I'm not talking about goal differential victories, I'm assumed that PR won't score any goals scenarios, feel free to edit and include goal differentials

quote:Originally posted by nolbertos

Dude..I'm not talking about goal differential victories, I'm assumed that PR won't score any goals scenarios, feel free to edit and include goal differentials

Which is why simply saying that TFC advances if it wins (regardless of whether the game goes into extra time) is the simplest thing to tell casual fans. The away goal really doesn't mean much. TFC can't win if it doesn't score and scoring negates the advantage of PR scoring an away goal.

They just have to win the damn game.

Tie-Breaker Procedures

In the event two teams are tied on aggregate goals scored at the end of

Regulation time in the 2nd Leg (Preliminary Round or Championship Stage) or on

points (Group Stage) the following tie-breaker criteria shall be applied, in

order, to determine the winning team or ranking of teams.

Phase 1: Preliminary Round and Phase 3: Elimination Round

• Greater aggregate number of away goals scored in regulation time in the

two matches (excluding any goals scored in overtime)

• Greater number of goals scored in the overtime periods at the end of the

second match

• Kicks from the Penalty Spot procedure (as per FIFA Laws of the Game)

But fine...here it is spelled out:

PRI win by any amount (after 90 or 120 min)= PRI advances

Draw of any amount (after 90 or 120 min)= PRI advances

1-0 TFC after 90 minutes = extra time

1-0 TFC after 120 minutes = PKs

Any other score in TFC's favour after 90 minutes = TFC advances

Any other score in TFC's favour after 120 minutes = TFC advances

Dear lord are we all daft here?? Come on fellas, we know how this system works! We've all been glued to various UEFA Champions Leagues for the past however many years, and we know what TFC has to do to get the bizniz done.

Let's actually focus on the important things here:

1. Rosters (PRI's and TFC's)

- Is Guevara back for this one, because we all know how badly he was missed at BMO.

2. Expected formations on the pitch

- Does TFC go balls out 4-3-3 or play a standard 4-4-2, and who fills those positions?

3. Weather (which has been covered)

- This ain't Kansas (too bad, they could sure use a team that can be beat 6-0 [enter Montreal joke here])

4. Which DeRo shows up?

- The one who was ineffective due to tight marking or the explosive one wearing the Maple Leaf over his heart?

Dear lord are we all daft here?? Come on fellas, we know how this system works! We've all been glued to various UEFA Champions Leagues for the past however many years, and we know what TFC has to do to get the bizniz done.

- Is Guevara back for this one, because we all know how badly he was missed at BMO.

- Does TFC go balls out 4-3-3 or play a standard 4-4-2, and who fills those positions?

- This ain't Kansas (too bad, they could sure use a team that can be beat 6-0 [enter Montreal joke here])

4. Which DeRo shows up?

- The one who was ineffective due to tight marking or the explosive one wearing the Maple Leaf over his heart?

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

4. Which DeRo shows up?

Wait a minute! You haven't accounted for the fact that if the game is played or or near a full moon, then away goals count for triple.

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

4. Which DeRo shows up?

Wait a minute! You haven't accounted for the fact that if the game is played or or near a full moon, then away goals count for triple.

Guest Jeffery S.

Thanks to Media Guy's incorrect first post and weak attempt at a cover up, probably due to podcast hangover syndrome, we now have 10 more posts uselessly explaining the away goals rule to what are supposed to be soccer fans. The board gone to pot once again.

If you don't understand the rules go away for a while, to the desert maybe, and come back when you do.

As for the match, the game, the thing that will be played, could we maybe just start another whole thread on the subject? Or will that too end up being TFC better get through any way they can, including bribing the Islanders into a forfeit, or else they'll be the laughing stock of Canadian soccer?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Thanks to Media Guy's incorrect first post and weak attempt at a cover up, probably due to podcast hangover syndrome, we now have 10 more posts uselessly explaining the away goals rule to what are supposed to be soccer fans. The board gone to pot once again.

If you don't understand the rules go away for a while, to the desert maybe, and come back when you do.

As for the match, the game, the thing that will be played, could we maybe just start another whole thread on the subject? Or will that too end up being TFC better get through any way they can, including bribing the Islanders into a forfeit, or else they'll be the laughing stock of Canadian soccer?

My first post WAS NOT INCORRECT. If TFC wins on the night they go through. Seriously, what the hell are you talking about? I don't for a second think that you don't understand that you are being pedantic.

Mods - Why is he allowed to get away with this crap? This is just nasty trolling with no purpose other than to inflame.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

My first post WAS NOT INCORRECT.

"A TFC win by any amount and they advance"

Actually, it was incorrect. TFC can still win the game 1-0, but lose the series on PK's. The PK's do not affect the result of the game, they tie-break the series which is deadlocked at 1-1 with equal away goals.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Actually, it was incorrect. TFC can still win the game 1-0, but lose the series on PK's. The PK's do not affect the result of the game, they tie-break the series which is deadlocked at 1-1 with equal away goals.

(sigh)

Clearly, I understand that technically it's two different events that are taking place. I'm simply arguing that it needlessly complicates things when you get caught up in that technicality. If TFC is the winner at the end of the night it advances. Period.

Plus, I never said anything that countered that -- Note the part in brackets in the opening post.

Only on here would posters take this and turn it into a personal attack.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Duane i'm not attacking you personally, just pointing out the facts.

I wasn't really responding to you (although I was quoting you).

I find it hard to believe that certain people didn't understand what I was saying. I feel they were being deliberately obtuse to bait me (and I'm basing that on a lot of history on here).

ANYWAY...

Those odds are out of whack. Are they after 90 odds or full-time odds?

Archived