A little trivia for all of you

Sorry to the mods for openinng up a thread for this, but I found out a random bit of trivia today and wasn't sure whether or not it was common knowledge here.

Which FIFA member got their first (official) win against Canada in only their second match?

I'm sure it wouldn't take long to track down on the FIFA results database but isn't it more fun to have a guess?[:P]

Hmmm. Tricky. I'd speculate it would be one of the ex-Soviet republics but I don't recall playing any of them that early in the '90s.

We almost never play African sides so that rules them out. What year did the British teams join FIFA?

Speaking of, wasn't Malta was it?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Hmmm. Tricky. I'd speculate it would be one of the ex-Soviet republics but I don't recall playing any of them that early in the '90s.

We almost never play African sides so that rules them out. What year did the British teams join FIFA?

Speaking of, wasn't Malta was it?

Well the only ex-soviet republic, that i can think of, that we have played is Estonia. In fact we played them twice. This was after 2000, so its unlikely to be them

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Canada beat the US on Nov 1885, but lost in Nov 1886. We also lost to Scotland in 1888

and Australia in 1924.

So the active FIFA member should be the United States. (Of course I used my research notes.)

My father is still fuming about 1888 4-0 loss to Scotland. He still thinks the CSA was too slow firing our head coach after that 1886 loss to the USA that led to the famous players revolt of 1887. We fielded a disinterested squad in that game in Glasgow...

quote:Originally posted by loyola

My father is still fuming about 1888 4-0 loss to Scotland. He still thinks the CSA was too slow firing our head coach after that 1886 loss to the USA that led to the famous players revolt of 1887. We fielded a disinterested squad in that game in Glasgow...

That was also when an aging, cranky Sir John A. Macdonald was threatening to cut off federal funding to the CSA, right?;)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

History always repeats it self... :D

Canada beat the US on Nov 1885, but lost in Nov 1886. We also lost to Scotland in 1888

and Australia in 1924.

So the active FIFA member should be the United States. (Of course I used my research notes.)

It is true that the US beat Canada in the second match between the two in 1886. Unfortunately, neither were official friendlies.

Australia beat New Zealand in Sydney a year before Canada's 1924 tour.

The match I'm talking about took place more recently than either of those.

I will say that it is a somewhat obscure team that is not very well known.

I think it's the U.S., but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess Australia. I know we went down there very early in our history.

The only other country I could think of was Macedonia and then I remembered we beat them!

cheers,

matthew

P.S. I didn't see redhat had mentioned Australia. I'm completely stumped.

quote:Originally posted by footballfreak

The match I'm talking about took place more recently than either of those.

I will say that it is a somewhat obscure team that is not very well known.

Hungary drew Canada (1974) and beat Canada (1975) for their first

win in 2 tries. Was this country the one you were referring to?

Or was it North Korea (1986 - D,L) @ the Merlion Cup?

It ain't Haiti (a loss, then a win), New Zealand (draw, draw),

Luxembourg (W,W), or Bermuda (W,D).

It should be the USA (win June 1925, loss Nov 1925). The CSA was

affilliated with FIFA in 1913, so therefore ...

I posted the answer earlier, then realized this was impolite to those who want to guess, and so deleted my post. A search for 'canada' on the page in question reveals the answer:

http://www.soccerandequipment.com/january-2008-roundup.html

I would have linked to FIFA, or RSSSF, etc. but then the answer would be in the link. Intriguingly, I can't find this match on the CSA list.

Or was it North Korea (1986 - D,L) @ the Merlion Cup?

It ain't Haiti (a loss, then a win), New Zealand (draw, draw),

Luxembourg (W,W), or Bermuda (W,D).

It should be the USA (win June 1925, loss Nov 1925). The CSA was

affilliated with FIFA in 1913, so therefore ...

I just want to clarify something. The question wasn't "which team won its second game played against Canada" but "Which team got its first international win ever against Canada?"(That game just happened to be that team's second international.) Apologies if the wording of the original question was somehow confusing.

To recap, the answer it is not:

USA - this answer is actually correct, the USA got their first win against us, but it was unofficial. The USA, for reasons unknown to me, does not have any official results listed in the fifa database until 1916.

Australia

New Zealand

Hungary

North Korea

And no Cheeta it was not Malta, but you are on the right continent.

For those interested in cheeting, the link posted earlier is the right answer.

Don't forget, Hungary made the finals of the 1954 World Cup. I have to figure they won a few matches long before 1975. ;)

North Korea famously beat Italy in the 1966 World Cup (which caused a famous tomato tossing incident back in Italy), which while we're on the subject of Hungary, also saw Hungary beat Brazil in the first round.

I just want to clarify something. The question wasn't "which team won its second game played against Canada" but "Which team got its first international win ever against Canada?"(That game just happened to be that team's second international.) Apologies if the wording of the original question was somehow confusing.

sorry, I totally misread the question. [:I]

Not surprising, given the result.

You're right -- it's not on the CSA list for 1989.

It was the first match for the hosts on artificial turf,

winning 1-0. Canada apparently (according to FIFA) won the

following match, by the same score.

I'm not sure if the CSA considers it to be an "A" friendly,

or more like the Francophonie squad. We played only Denmark

and Belgium in 1989 ... two matches, and only one in 1990.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived