Cup Presentation

Guest Ed

quote:Originally posted by loyola

WTF are you talking about?

...when they talk about their Canadian Championship title.</u> Maybe I pushed a bit far when I said they have nothing to be proud of, it was a thrash talk response to thrash talking TFC fans after their win.

Anyway, I agree it's not the place to talk about this and didn't really wanted to, I just wanted to clarify what Johnnie Monster was saying and then El Hombre came with his "Not unlike the way SOME Impact fans talked to TFC fans like the Impact was a champion team last year?" so that's why I made the comparison, to follow the parallel he drew.

So enjoy your time with the crown y'all TFC fans, cause it won't last long... :D

...and now I shut up. [^]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Yes, sorry to have caused you any grief jpg. I simply thought you guys may like to see a photo forwarded to me, of the Voyageurs Cup now on display at TFC.

It's not very often any of us get to see the V-Cup other than a brief presentation to the winner (if that). Thought some of you may appreciate the pic of our trophy. I had no clue how to post a photo, so jpg helped me out.

No need to apologize Dwayne, thanks you for providing the pic...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Anyone who is still griping about the way TFC won needs to find something more productive to direct their bitterness towards. Maybe protesting in front of the rub and tug where Kerfoot wants to build the Waterfront Stadium?

I'm not aware of any rub and tugs that are located over the railyards on the south shore of Burrard Inlet.

As for this year's Voyageurs' Cup competition, I am indeed still bitter about the way it finished. The 'Caps thoroughly earned the honour of being crowned Voyageurs' Cup Champions on June 2nd on the field, only to have it ripped away from them. I've never blamed TFC for any of this. It was the Montreal Impact organisation that disgraced itself and dishonoured the Voyageurs' Cup competition on June 18th. They should never be let off the hook for their douchebag antics of that night. Not now, not ever. They should be reminded of it at every opportunity and ridiculed mercilessly. That way, the next time a club considers following their example, they will be forced to think better of it.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

The night TFC won the Voyageurs Cup was historic. Their spontaneous celebration made it reminiscent of winning the Stanley Cup. I posted about TFC involving a long-time Voyageur in the home presentation

That is what this thread is about, not trying to undermine the validity of their win, or the malleability of various fan groups.

Thanks Ed.

I was extremely honoured to be chosen to present the trophy on behalf of the V's (and to a lesser extent U-Sector).

I find it incredibly disrespectful to the V's and this wonderful Cup that one individual decided to re-ignite his months-long gripe in a non-partisan thread.

In fact, I took it a bit personal, which is probably why I reacted the way I did.

Guest Jeffery S.

Great stuff Jeffrey S.

As for the proposed solutions I would say the one I like the best is to add a final game in case of a tie in points. Ask all 3 teams not to schedule games the wednesday after the last V Cup game in case of that scenario happening.

I doubt the CSA will find enough sponsors/cash to have a real incentitive to win those games. Specially if a situation like this year happens where MTL was looking at their USL schedule in priority.

I am perfectly aware that solutions are not easy, I am not saying they are.

When we were in the midst of the competition a comment came up about how a three way tie was solved in the Apertura in Argentina, with the order of games altered in function of the results of the first games, so whoever lost first played the next game, and so on, determining game order to keep the weakest team in the mix as long as possible and reserving a possible final game between the two best. But of course that is when the Argentine league is over and all of the country is waiting on the champion, and you can schedule that way. The clubs in Canada want to be able to sell ticket packages with more than a few weeks lead, and are in the middle of their season, so you understand the difficulties.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by the biologist

Some (I say SOME) TFC fans will talk to Caps and Impact fans like TFC is a champion team. Of course they are in the technical sense of the word, they won the VC after all, but they're not in the greater sense of the word, as would agree every TFC fan that is not a part of the group I talked about first. I think that's the point JM wants to come up to.

Horse****. Dozens of Voyageurs, many still here, paid for the Cup years ago out of their own pocket and awarded the trophy year after year, regardless of uneven schedules and other "unfair" criteria (Impact won it last day playing vs. a team with nothing to play for more than once I believe). Those were legitimate wins, so is TFCs. Just because your parents were still giving you an allowance when all that happened, or you were too cheap to contribute, does not mean you can come on like a troll and try to downplay the win. That is bad sportsmanship, defies the sporting spirit, shows immaturity and insults dozens of Voyageurs who have been around years before you and are proud of the Cup, however imperfect the competition for it has been over the years.

Your parents should have held back your allowance even further until you could explain to them, in simple terms, what it means to win and lose graciously.

And for SthMelRed's pathetic attempt at an argument above ("It was the Montreal Impact organisation that disgraced itself and dishonoured the Voyageurs' Cup competition on June 18th. They should never be let off the hook for their douchebag antics of that night. Not now, not ever."), all I have to say is this:

The Montreal IMpact won the competition for the first seven years. Often by a mile, killing the rest of the competition. Vancouver was never even close, ever. Not once. The only time they came second (they were beaten by the Lynx, an inferior team overall most years) they were still 8 points off the Impact in the final tally. That is what I call objectively not taking the competition seriously for years, not playing up to standard, not fighting hard enough to take the trophy from the Impact. While Impact's record is impeccable, absolutely impeccable until the last game played of the last 8 years of Voyageurs Cup competition.

It is very bad faith and a proof of difficulties with basic logical structures to argue what you are attempting to argue. You are like the typical loser who eats every cookie in the jar except one and then starts whimpering and crying to mom when little brother eats the last one.

You have to be pretty challenged and a have a very poor idea of sportsmanship to even suggest Impact should never be forgiven for that last game when Whitecaps, Lynx, Storm, Mustangs, Aviators and until this year TFC never took the competition as seriously as the Montreal Impact for the previous 7 and a half years.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Horse****. Dozens of Voyageurs, many still here, paid for the Cup years ago out of their own pocket and awarded the trophy year after year, regardless of uneven schedules and other "unfair" criteria (Impact won it last day playing vs. a team with nothing to play for more than once I believe). Those were legitimate wins, so is TFCs. Just because your parents were still giving you an allowance when all that happened, or you were too cheap to contribute, does not mean you can come on like a troll and try to downplay the win. That is bad sportsmanship, defies the sporting spirit, shows immaturity and insults dozens of Voyageurs who have been around years before you and are proud of the Cup, however imperfect the competition for it has been over the years.

Your parents should have held back your allowance even further until you could explain to them, in simple terms, what it means to win and lose graciously.

??? Wow... Are you on crack ?

Did you read EVERYTHING I wrote in this thread ? Where did I downplay the win ? I blasted SOME TFC fans, not the club itself.

And I did say "That's not OK to denigrate it, they won fairly. I agree with you on that." However, I expect you're now thinking "heck that's still what he's doing himself, such a stupid f*cking moron bastard son of a bitch..." and blah blah blah...

Anyway I agree with the second part of your post.

Guest Jeffery S.

Hi. Is the question about crack rhetorical or do you know what you are talking about by asking it?

I have seen major trophies won on a lot less, on unfair penalties, on offside goals, on silly penalty misses. European Cups and World Cups no less. But no, you guys want to go around telling the rest of the world how they are supposed to act when they win, you want the rest of the world to behave the way you think for invented, spurious and tendentious reasons you make out to have something to do with ethics, of all things. Right and wrong. Sunday schoolers.

As for the Whitecaps fans: I have been one longer than most supposed Caps fans on the board. If you are worried about not winning the Voyageurs Cup, worry about this:

In the history of the V-Cup Impact and Whitecaps have been the only two teams to have always participated. Both have played 38 games in total. The overall records are as follows:

Impact 22 W 7 L 9 T Total Points 75

Whitecaps 13 W 17 L 8 T Total Points 47

During which time the Impact actually went undefeated in the competition for 3 years straight. If Whitecaps fans are serious about the Cup, then we have to ask why we have not even come close to winning it until this year. And stop the damn whining and unfair criticisms of the Impact, who have historically taken it more seriously than us, and according have historically always taken it.

Look at me, I've been here longer than you. Therefore, I must be better than you and my opinion should be taken as the word of God. Have I mentioned that I live in Barcelona? That means that I must be more knowledgeable about all things football related than the rest of you. blah blah blah

Has there ever been a bigger blowhard than you on the history of this board? Obviously, you've been posting here longer than me, so you can certainly answer that question better than I can. Your misplaced sense of superiority and self-importance is unbelievable.

As for your reply belittling my earlier post, are you frigging kidding me? You're trying to compare the competition now to back when the cup was awarded on the basis of results in the league?

I have a great deal of respect for the effort made by many people on this board before I ever posted here in purchasing the Voyageuers' Cup and awarding it each year in the absence of an official national competition. However, the fact remains that in those years when the cup was awarded on the basis of results in the league, the Voyageurs' Cup competition was secondary to the points available in the league table.

If you think that, in the players', coaches', or managments' minds, it was somehow more important than the league points on offer, you are delusional. It wasn't until the competition took on its current format in 2008 that it was elevated in importance beyond a nice little bit of recognition from a fans' group to become something to strive towards winning in its own right.

Sigh. Must it always come to blood?

For my part I apologize for commenting on here that Johnnie Monster's photo (which started the bloodshed) was funny. I didn't see much malice in it and I honestly didn't think as a TFC fan myself that it would cause so many people to get upset. I bit shortsighted I suppose on my part, so to guys like Rudi, who have a lot invested in the presentation, sorry pal. This was a thread dedicated to the presentation alone and there are lots of other depressing ones dedicated to bloodshed.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

Has there ever been a bigger douchebag blowhard than you on the history of this board? Obviously, you've been posting here longer than me, so you can certainly answer that question better than I can. Your misplaced sense of superiority and self-importance is unbelievable.

As for your reply belittling my earlier post, are you frigging kidding me? You're trying to compare the competition now to back when the cup was awarded on the basis of results in the league?

I have a great deal of respect for the effort made by many people on this board before I ever posted here in purchasing the Voyageuers' Cup and awarding it each year in the absence of an official national competition. However, the fact remains that in those years when the cup was awarded on the basis of results in the league, the Voyageurs' Cup competition was secondary to the points available in the league table.

If you think that, in the players', coaches', or managments' minds, it was somehow more important than the league points on offer, you are delusional. It wasn't until the competition took on its current format in 2008 that it was elevated in importance beyond a nice little bit of recognition from a fans' group to become something to strive towards winning in its own right.

Now, on a personal note, go frigg yourself, you arrogant twat.

Direct personal insults and altering someone's words and signing with that person's name are both reasons to receive a warning and possible ban. I will ask the mods to do both if necessary.

Your response proves what a poor sense of sportsmanship you have.

If you can't make the argument against my point of view, which I am happy to sign, then don't make any at all. And don't make up false statements by me so you can look better with your whining and bitching and illogical posts about what should be a point of pride for the Voyaguers every year: the winner of the Cup, according to the rules, fair and square.

Guest Jeffery S.

Direct personal insults and altering someone's words and signing with that person's name are both reasons to receive a warning and possible ban. I will ask the mods to do both if necessary. Though you could rectify your post first.

Your response, whether you alter it or not, proves what a poor sense of sportsmanship you have. You can't argue your own opinion, and instead of trying to, you try to alter your opponents so you look better.

If you can't make the argument against my point of view, which I am happy to sign and defend, then don't make any at all. And don't make up false statements by me so you can look better with your bitching posts about what should be a point of pride for the Voyaguers every year: the winner of the Cup, according to the rules, fair and square.

^I feel I summed up your attitude just about right with my editing of your post.

You imply that I'm not willing or able to respond to the points you're trying to make. I did just that in pointing out the fallacy of equating finishing below another team in a league table with the disrespect of putting out a reserve side in a crucial game because you've already been eliminated from contention. The 'Caps never finished below the Impact in those years because they couldn't be bothered, it was simply that Montreal had a stronger team. Can you point to one instance where one team gifted the competition to another simply by not showing up to play?

And when you go crying to the mods to get me banned, be sure to let them know how many people I've fallen out with in the two years I've been posting here, and compare that to the number that you have in that same time. I've fallen out with you on a couple of occasions and perhaps had one minor incident with somebody else recently. You have issues with somebody on this board on what seems like a weekly basis. Has it ever occurred to you that you are the problem? I'm guessing that somebody like you has never even entertained that notion.

quote:Originally posted by SthMelbRed

^I feel I summed up your attitude just about right with my editing of your post.

You imply that I'm not willing or able to respond to the points you're trying to make. I did just that in pointing out the fallacy of equating finishing below another team in a league table with the disrespect of putting out a reserve side in a crucial game because you've already been eliminated from contention. The 'Caps never finished below the Impact in those years because they couldn't be bothered, it was simply that Montreal had a stronger team. Can you point to one instance where one team gifted the competition to another simply by not showing up to play?

Funny, because that's exactly what Canada did agaisnt Jamaica last year in a crucial WCQ for Jamaica who needed to win by 6 to get by Mexico. No one said a word here about it and I would add that everyone agreed that Mitchell should give a chance to our younger and most inexperienced players in that game. Maybe Jamaica didn't benefit fully from this situation but on another day it could've been different.

What the Impact did is nothing new in the world of football and it happens almost at every WC and Euro that a situation similar occurs.

(MOD) As for your post to Jeffrey S., could you please edit it and take down the personnal insults. No need for that here. Thanks (MOD)

Funny, because that's exactly what Canada did agaisnt Jamaica last year in a crucial WCQ for Jamaica who needed to win by 6 to get by Mexico. No one said a word here about it and I would add that everyone agreed that Mitchell should give a chance to our younger and most inexperienced players in that game. Maybe Jamaica didn't benefit fully from this situation but on another day it could've been different.

What the Impact did is nothing new in the world of football and it happens almost at every WC and Euro that a situation similar occurs.

(MOD) As for your post to Jeffrey S., could you please edit it and take down the personnal insults. No need for that here. Thanks (MOD)

Bullseye ! In fact, that was even worse if you take into account the WC is a bit more valuable than the V's Cup...

Guest Jeffery S.

Hi Mods. For a lot less (in terms of direct insults) I was handed a banning order that stood for months, and was prohibited from responding to another poster.

If you are going to tell us that the situation has improved and that the board is going to moderated fairly, we believe you.

But if others are allowed to indefinitely let their insults stand, even euphemistically, then the new rules are not worth a dime.

BTW SthMelRed: I do not agree with you at all that the previous Voyageur Cups were degraded or inferior to the current one. And a lot of people on this board feel the same as I do.

The previous format was league play because we did not have the CSA onside, or sponsors, but we did it alone. But we had the idea before they did. We put in the effort. We put down the money too. It had our name on it exclusively. It got a lot of press, and press support. It was the basis and inspiration of the current format. We presented it ourselves and managed it ourselves.

Which means it was worth as much or more to a lot of us here than the current championship, at least sentimentally. In sporting terms having a separate competition is obviously better, but even then, as we see, it is not perfect.

You devaluing it or slagging it to argue against Montreal's dedication to it over seven years is simply a sign of not knowing what you are talking about. And doing so as a way of covering up your poor sportsmanship makes that even worse.

I love how Vancouver is finally carving itself a spot at the rivalry table.

I'm glad they've entered the race, even though they call us despicable and shameful, but when their team had their chance to serve us up, when their honour was in their hands, they fell to the wayside.

Welcome to the big time, maybe someday you can crawl out of third spot.

;)

^^ I'm sure there are better-looking cups out there, but I don't think there's one donated by a volunteer-oriented, passionate group of fans like the Voyageurs. But yeah, it probably needs a cleaning; it looks like all members of TFC drank from it -- including the bus driver. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Umm, Cascadia Cup? It's silver imported from Italy, and miles bigger than the USL championship trophy.

0920SouthsiderswithCascadiaCup5-1.jpg

I remember that trophy..I forgot that I donated some moola to that trophy too :D. Honestly Johnnie, why doesn't the Southsiders organize a Cascadia supporters's only trophy where the Southsiders, Timber's Army and Sounders Pod, err..forgot there Supporters Group Name, play for a trophy for a home and away game. I wouldn't mind playign against Allison and co :P

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Umm, Cascadia Cup? It's silver imported from Italy, and miles bigger than the USL championship trophy.

0920SouthsiderswithCascadiaCup5-1.jpg

I remember that trophy..I forgot that I donated some moola to that trophy too :D. Honestly Johnnie, why doesn't the Southsiders organize a Cascadia supporters's only trophy where the Southsiders, Timber's Army and Sounders Pod, err..forgot there Supporters Group Name, play for a trophy for a home and away game. I wouldn't mind playign against Allison and co :P

Archived