Cup Presentation

Guest Ed

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by earlimus

lol... well done.

No, it's not. It's just misplaced bitterness in an attempt to be funny.

I get that Caps fans would be pissed, and I understand why. But: a) wtf was TFC supposed to do when faced with the lineup Montreal threw out there? Caps fans' issue is not with TFC.

And: B) this thread is one of the few about the V Cup without partisan crap messing it up. Sorry, it was.

Guest Jeffery S.

I also agree it is totally unappropriate as it implies the Cup itself is illegitimate, and illegitimately won, when neither is true. TFC won fair, according to the rules, which they hadn't done the previous edition.

It is also unfair because part of that reserve squad and the keeper referred to had performances that helped the Impact make the playoffs. The problem was not who they were, but the terms under which they were asked to play (playing for absolutely nothing, with no incentives, including from their own club, against a team playing for everything).

If you don't like what happened lobby to change the rules and stop wanking on part of the Voyageurs legacy.

I'll put my money where my mouth is: time to lobby the CSA and the organizers of the V-Cup for a more reliable format. I'll be on to it this upcoming week.

My little joke there, which has obviously struck a nerve, is not about sour grapes at all.

It has much more to do with mocking the over-the-top posturing and pageantry from Toronto's "superior" players and fans who celebrated this cup win like they dominated the competition. This, we surely must all agree (save for the blind and deluded), we know to be unequivocally false.

It's one thing to win by playing like champions. Winning because of rules and technicalities, however "fair" they may be, doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

All I can hope for is that next year's trophy goes to a team that earns it by consistently beating opposition that takes EVERY match seriously.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

It has much more to do with mocking the over-the-top posturing and pageantry from Toronto's "superior" players and fans who celebrated this cup win like they dominated the competition. This, we surely must all agree (save for the blind and deluded), we know to be unequivocally false.

Was this really the case though? 95% of TFC fans were going into the Montreal game expecting nothing more than a 1-0 or 2-0 win and Vancouver to win the cup (on just as much a technicality as TFC eventually won it by which gives rise to the question as to whether you would have celebrated less had Vancouver won on goal difference?). I don't remember any fans going into that last game expecting to win by as much as they did.

All I can hope for is that next year's trophy goes to a team that earns it by consistently beating opposition that takes EVERY match seriously.

Again, it wasn't TFC's fault that Montreal had already thrown in the towel. It's really Montreal who is at fault here. Not sure why you are picking on TFC in this instance.

My little joke there, which has obviously struck a nerve, is not about sour grapes at all.

Right. No sour grapes at all.

That must be why you're dwelling on it more than three months later.

quote:It has much more to do with mocking the over-the-top posturing and pageantry from Toronto's "superior" players and fans who celebrated this cup win like they dominated the competition.

How were they (the players) and we (the fans) supposed to celebrate? TFC won the championship, odds were against them in that final game.

Are the players not supposed to be happy?

Should I call you next time to get your approval on how we the fans should celebrate following such an improbable victory?

quote:This, we surely must all agree (save for the blind and deluded), we know to be unequivocally false.

I don't agree with your BS assertions, coated with a healthy shell of bitterness.

quote:It's one thing to win by playing like champions. Winning because of rules and technicalities, however "fair" they may be, doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Again, HOW THE FUCK IS THIS TFC'S FAULT? They won within the rules set out before the competition, and presumably agreed upon by all three participating teams.

You're seriously coming across as more of a a sore loser with every sentence.

quote:All I can hope for is that next year's trophy goes to a team that earns it by consistently beating opposition that takes EVERY match seriously.

Again, not TFC's fault.

You've successfully made this thread all about your bitterness. Get over yourself.

Guest Jeffery S.

It's one thing to win by playing like champions. Winning because of rules and technicalities, however "fair" they may be, doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Grow up, what a whiner you are. TFC had every right to celebrate the Canadian championship, and I am glad they did. Otherwise it would have been an insult to the Cup we founded at Voyageurs.

I mean, what were they supposed to do, treat it like a funeral? They scored 6, they put something into it. Since they had not ever won it before (Lynx neither) and since the previous year they probably did not care enough to be able to score six even it would have meant something (they lost it the last day at home playing poorly), give them full credit for taking it seriously this time.

You are a childishly poor loser and calling us blind and deluded is not going to change that. You are acting like a baby months after the fact, that is the only unequivocal reality I see.

You don't even have the honesty to recognize what every soccer fan knows. Every single group stage competition in the history of football has had final day games that were altered by one team needing a result and another being already out with no motivation. Every tournament it happens, always. You are suggesting either you have never in your life paid attention to what a competition is, or you are simply ignorant.

And you are still trying to degrade the Cup, the Voyageurs Cup, when it was won legitimately according to the existing rules. I mean, why would a Montreal team with nothing to play for holding Toronto 0-3 make Vancouver a more legitimate winner? It wouldn't. It is a totally incoherent argument, it makes no sense at all. According to your criteria for Vancouver to win it they should have won it fairly on the field, before the last day, to not have to depend on third parties. That is what I call fair.

I say change the competition rules so that jackazzes like JM don't have to spend months sobbing in public.

Starting with: eliminate the goal difference rule and let head to head results against any tied teams in points determine the winner, including away goals.

Or: add a final match in case of a tie in points, decide home team by coin toss or lottery.

Or: set out cash bonues for points in the competition, like in Champions League. It is up to clubs to share that with their players so that even last day a tie or win by a team already out could have a financial attraction.

Or: all three or whatever would eliminate situations like this year's.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I say change the competition rules so that jackazzes like JM don't have to spend months sobbing in public.

Starting with: eliminate the goal difference rule and let head to head results against any tied teams in points determine the winner, including away goals.

Or: add a final match in case of a tie in points, decide home team by coin toss or lottery.

Or: set out cash bonues for points in the competition, like in Champions League. It is up to clubs to share that with their players so that even last day a tie or win by a team already out could have a financial attraction.

Or: all three or whatever would eliminate situations like this year's.

Great stuff Jeffrey S.

As for the proposed solutions I would say the one I like the best is to add a final game in case of a tie in points. Ask all 3 teams not to schedule games the wednesday after the last V Cup game in case of that scenario happening.

I doubt the CSA will find enough sponsors/cash to have a real incentitive to win those games. Specially if a situation like this year happens where MTL was looking at their USL schedule in priority.

Touchy touchy, ladies!

Just goes to show how insecure you lot really are... and when there's insecurity, there's usually a shade of truth underneath.

Fact: that cup was gifted to TFC by Montreal, the latter of which I hold solely responsible for tarnishing the cup's good name.

TFC fans can go ahead and celebrate all they want. Fill your boots. Just don't expect the rest of the country to view the "victory" with the same rose coloured glasses you do.

Hopefully the CSA will implement some of the changes that have been suggested here, because what we got in 2009 was just plain silly.

The only one insecure in here is the one who decided to alter a picture of the winning team to perpetuate his own bitterness. And when people call you on it, instead of addressing their (valid) points, you resort to name-calling and deflecting the points made.

So in one respect you're right, when there's insecurity there's usually a shade of truth underneath.

quote:TFC fans can go ahead and celebrate all they want. Fill your boots. Just don't expect the rest of the country to view the "victory" with the same rose coloured glasses you do.

Do you notice that there are very few TFC fans actively calling you on your BS in here? Other than me, it's actually guys from the "rest of the country" as you put it who have been the most vocal in condemning your BS disrespect of the Cup that this community created.

Some (I say SOME) TFC fans will talk to Caps and Impact fans like TFC is a champion team. Of course they are in the technical sense of the word, they won the VC after all, but they're not in the greater sense of the word, as would agree every TFC fan that is not a part of the group I talked about first. I think that's the point JM wants to come up to.

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

Some (I say SOME) TFC fans will talk to Caps and Impact fans like TFC is a champion team.

Not unlike the way SOME Impact fans talked to TFC fans like the Impact was a champion team last year?

I'm not sure why it's ok to denigrate the success of TFC where were it another team, they would be lauded (or at least ignored until the next go around).

And this is coming from someone who's fairly critical of TFC on a day-to-day basis.

The night TFC won the Voyageurs Cup was historic. Their spontaneous celebration made it reminiscent of winning the Stanley Cup. I posted about TFC involving a long-time Voyageur in the home presentation

That is what this thread is about, not trying to undermine the validity of their win, or the malleability of various fan groups.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Not unlike the way SOME Impact fans talked to TFC fans like the Impact was a champion team last year?

First of all, the Impact won on points, not on goal differential.

Had the infamous game ended in a 2-0 win for TFC and the Caps awarded the V-Cup, I, for my part, would have said the exact same thing in thrash talking fashion, to make fun of a situation that wasn't fun at all for us Impact fans playing for a game that was to decide which one of our biggest ennemies would come up on our pitch to celebrate its victory in the Canadian Championship. Capiche ?

Secundo, sure SOME Impact fans immediately jumped on the "we're the best, you all suck" bandwagon after MTL clinched the Cup in TO. But where your argument falls short is the Montreal Impact Football Club had something to back fans' words. They made it to the CCL quarters. So come October the Impact was not champion technically since they were only one team among the final 8, but they were champions in practice for us canadian soccer fans as many of you here were cheering for MTL, thanks for that. But now we're in October and SOME TFC fans act like we did last year, but they have nothing really to be proud of IMO.

I really don't want to denigrate TFC's championship, great for them. I couldn't have cheered sincerely for them had they beat PR, but I'd still support a canadian side in a Canada vs The World competition as I'm bright enough to understand to benefit of doing well in international cup competitions. It's just that what TFC accomplished is not as remarkable. NOBODY selected MTL as winners in the first tournament. That was more "special" for a whole bunch of people. Still this year many took TFC again and they did it, makin'em say "so what" (the lopsided score apart of course).

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I'm not sure why it's ok to denigrate the success of TFC where were it another team, they would be lauded (or at least ignored until the next go around).

Like I said ^. That's not OK to denigrate it, they won fairly. I agree with you on that.

But if it was Vancouver or Montreal of course they would be praised as so many TFC fans claim their superiority based almost solely on the fact they are an MLS team.

Every media presented TFC as Goliath and the USL sides as David. So who do you expect the people will cheer for ? This year, "Goliath" won, that's all. Toronto cheers for TFC. The rest (a whole lot of people) prefers to cheer for "David".

This thread was bumped because Winnipeg Fury (yes, someone from Winnipeg) posted this on Facebook, and after i commented on his pic he asked me to post it on here for him.

Anyone who is still griping about the way TFC won needs to find something more productive to direct their bitterness towards. Maybe protesting in front of the rub and tug where Kerfoot wants to build the Waterfront Stadium?

The only thing TFC fans are bragging about is the fact that the team won 6-1 against Montreal, to rub it in to our rival city and a club that will likely end up being our main MLS rivals in a few years.

See you all in the V's Cup forum next spring...

This thread was bumped because Winnipeg Fury (yes, someone from Winnipeg) posted this on Facebook, and after i commented on his pic he asked me to post it on here for him.

Anyone who is still griping about the way TFC won needs to find something more productive to direct their bitterness towards. Maybe protesting in front of the rub and tug where Kerfoot wants to build the Waterfront Stadium?

The only thing TFC fans are bragging about is the fact that the team won 6-1 against Montreal, to rub it in to our rival city and a club that will likely end up being our main MLS rivals in a few years.

See you all in the V's Cup forum next spring...

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Yes, sorry to have caused you any grief jpg. I simply thought you guys may like to see a photo forwarded to me, of the Voyageurs Cup now on display at TFC.

It's not very often any of us get to see the V-Cup other than a brief presentation to the winner (if that). Thought some of you may appreciate the pic of our trophy. I had no clue how to post a photo, so jpg helped me out.

Archived