Fans, Unite for a cause...a Canadian League

Dear Voyageurs it is the time for the Voyageurs Cup again. And once again we complain that there is no Canadian League. While at the same time we laugh sarcastically that the V-cup is our own Canadian League since the CSA can't get anything done properly. Maybe we fans of Whitecaps,TFC & Impact and other soccer fanatics should put up banner with the same message:

- Is a 3team Canadian League Enough, CSA?

(the txt can be changed to something else you get the meaning)

Or is the fact that TFC & Vancouver are now in the MLS that we don't need our own Canadian League?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are people who propose or support the idea of a Canadian league ignorant of the economics of such a proposal? A Canadian league is not viable from an economic point of view. The market decides where and when soccer teams appear, when we have more USL teams or MLS teams appear outside those three, and I'm talking about, oh, lets start with 8 combined, then we can talk about a Canadian league, even though it still wouldn't happen.

^ I find that doubtful. Getting the ball rolling on the growth of pro clubs is going to come down to individuals in this country who love the game actually taking the chance and designing/building a franchise. Investors and sponsors could probably give two sh*tes about any banners that might get displayed at games.

What powers does the CSA honestly have in creating new pro franchises? I'm sure they can help, but founding private enterprises is surely beyond their scope.

quote:Originally posted by Pawel

Are people who propose or support the idea of a Canadian league ignorant of the economics of such a proposal? A Canadian league is not viable from an economic point of view. The market decides where and when soccer teams appear, when we have more USL teams or MLS teams appear outside those three, and I'm talking about, oh, lets start with 8 combined, then we can talk about a Canadian league, even though it still wouldn't happen.

Then forget any idea of Canada advancing on the international or domestic level.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Then forget any idea of Canada advancing on the international or domestic level.

You'll have to explain your point more. Because I can easily make a case that the forced creation of a national league in Canada could actually cause the talent level to stagnate as opposed to the current format of entry into either USL or MLS.

Shouldn't every team in Canada have an opportunity to become "Canadian Champion"?

The Open Canada Cup (the forerunner of the Nutrilite), was won in 2006 by a local Ottawa team playing in an Ottawa district league. They beat four CSL teams and then the USL's Toronto Lynx 2-0 in the final.

I'd usually agree that all teams need a shot at the Canadian Championship, however, in this case there are minimum standards laid down from CONCACAF so it has to be closed to pro teams only. And I'm OK with that. The USL is an easier league to get into and investors need to see that potential. http://www.uslsoccer.com/aboutusl/franchise/123541.html

The best thing we can do as fans is continue to fill the stadiums. The banner ideas might be good. If you are travelling from another city like Hamilton, hold up a banner saying "Hamilton wants a USL team". Maybe target the potential owners directly. The other event is the Challenge Trophy, 7-12 Oct 2009 in Saskatoon. If Saskatoon thinks they want a USL franchise, then they need to get 5,000 people out to watch these games. 5,000+ people watching amateur games should turn the heads of investors and keep the media involved.

Getting more pro clubs is the only way to get a Canadian League. That will not happen until we fill the USL or MLS. 3 teams in MLS and another 10 in the USL ... it is possible but it will take years.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Vic

Shouldn't every team in Canada have an opportunity to become "Canadian Champion"?

No. Probably not.

The USector league plays at 10pm at Lamport, and many of us go early and watch the CSL game on before we are.

A great league that lots can be done with, and truly deserves the support of the soccer community.

Compete in the V's cup? Not a chance.

Not to mention that, should things remain as they are, the one overly horrid laughing stock of world football scenario that could possibly happen. One club playing itself for the title...

quote:I'd usually agree that all teams need a shot at the Canadian Championship, however, in this case there are minimum standards laid down from CONCACAF so it has to be closed to pro teams only.

Only in Canada could you call a team champions after having played two teams.

Sure. It really is a complete farce of the word to call the winner the national champion though. We should just save ourselves the time and money and do it like they do in Europe and take the highest ranked team from the highest ranked league. We might as well do it like the "pros" do and tell Vancouver and Montreal they are excluded too because they are in a minor league.

Guest speedmonk42

Only in Canada could you call a team champions after having played two teams.

Why?

We have three pro teams. They play a round robin....

No other club in this country comes close to any of them. None.

Not the CSL, the PCSL ect...

This tourney is such a fantastic thing. It is awesome and we have never had anything like it. It is so good for the game in this country I can't even begin to describe it.

Sure. It really is a complete farce of the word to call the winner the national champion though.

No it's not.

The winner of the tournament is the national champion. The word fits the description perfectly.

quote:Originally posted by speedmonk42

No other club in this country comes close to any of them. None.

Not the CSL, the PCSL ect...

how do we know? You are far too certain of this.

This is the problem in Canadian soccer. No one is willing to risk their shaky reputation to play against a poorer cousin. I'm convinced that Real Toronto could have given TFC a serious run for their money last season. that Real Toronto squad was a good</u> soccer team. If they trained 4 days a week and with proper coaching, I would not have been surprised at all to see RT defeat TFC 4 out of 10 matches. You might think I'm crazy but I'm convinced of it.

I'm no fan of english football in general but I love the FA Cup because it gives the lowliest club a chance at glory. Why are we so quick to shut the door on that here in Canada? Create minimum standards, if necessary, require an onerous securit bond, do whatever it is that people feel is needed to weed out the sides that don't belong in the competition but don't shut people out. canadian soccer seems more about keeping people out than it is about opening its arms and welcoming people in. why is that?

I understand the geographic and financial realities of Canada but there are ways around it if people in charge had the balls to see how good it would be for Canadian soccer to do what is needed to promote senior soccer, rather than spending so much time on national championships for 14 year olds.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by VPjr

This is the problem in Canadian soccer. No one is willing to risk their shaky reputation to play against a poorer cousin. I'm convinced that Real Toronto could have given TFC a serious run for their money last season. that Real Toronto squad was a good</u> soccer team. If they trained 4 days a week and with proper coaching, I would not have been surprised at all to see RT defeat TFC 4 out of 10 matches. You might think I'm crazy but I'm convinced of it.

I'm no fan of english football in general but I love the FA Cup because it gives the lowliest club a chance at glory. Why are we so quick to shut the door on that here in Canada? Create minimum standards, if necessary, require an onerous securit bond, do whatever it is that people feel is needed to weed out the sides that don't belong in the competition but don't shut people out. canadian soccer seems more about keeping people out than it is about opening its arms and welcoming people in. why is that?

I understand the geographic and financial realities of Canada but there are ways around it if people in charge had the balls to see how good it would be for Canadian soccer to do what is needed to promote senior soccer, rather than spending so much time on national championships for 14 year olds.

You are right. I probably am too sure of this.

However, I did in the first year of TFC, see extended amounts of all three leagues because I went back to Vancouver in August. CSL, USL and MLS (I have not seen any PCSL games in a few years). The difference was pretty stark switching from one league to the other watching on a weekly basis.

It doesn't mean they can't beat each other, or that teams should be shut out. I don't want things to be too exclusive either.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

Author! Author! Absolutely correct! Maybe a White Eagles' or VPjrFC's well heeled owner (:-P) would finance a serious run at it a la the Dawson City nuggets circa 1905.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

I'm still amazed how some self-called soccer fans here can't make the distinction between a championship (that crowns a champion) and a cup (that crowns a cup winner).

Since you want to talk semantics

English Premier League = Top 25% of professional teams in the country playing home-and-away schedule = Championship

Serie A = Top 25% of professional teams in the country playing home-and-away schedule = Championship

Nutrilite= (give or take)Top 25% of professional teams in the country playing home-and-away schedule = Championship

Looks okay to me...

No % needed LT to agree with you

Each team playing balanced home and away schedule against each other = championship without a doubt

With 3 teams or 30, it stays a championship

We have one LET'S KEEP IT, it's so important ! More teams would be better, but not if you replace it by a cup !

We want a cup ? Why not... let's make one, but it would be a second competition, not the one that would replace OUR NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

I'm still amazed how some self-called soccer fans here can't make the distinction between a championship (that crowns a champion) and a cup (that crowns a cup winner).

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Archived