zidane and friends coming to vancouver,toronto,mon

snake

That's great. It's perfect and crystal clear and I agree 100%. Pretty much exactly the way I see things and why I spent $25. The only reason I go against the grain is I was in Montreal and there were 15,000 people there who had a good time. That's a lot of people. I've never read the other boards, but this one has become a slightly comical case study of group psychology. "Yeah!" "And he killed a man" "Yeah!" "I once saw him eat a baby"... all over a good event with a bad promoter. If BC Soccer or the Whitecaps advertised a Zidane Testimonial with good young Canadian players there would be a great turnout. I guess Agassi pretty much nailed it with "image is everything".

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. Adlani is a scammer. Not just this event, but others. He has a shady history. He claims to be the guy that placed Dani Fernandes in Europe to further his academy. he has stolen money from youngsters in Europe on a tour. He is not to be trusted, which is why BCSA, The CSA, WFC, and others stayed away from this.

IF WFC were on board you'd be nuts to not think it would have been marketed properly, had their folks find sponsors etc, and it would have been a success because no company worth their salt, with an eye for customer retention, would ever advertise (sic) an apple and deliver an almond.

and "good event" is PERCEPTION. If you bought a ticket strictly on ZZ being there, it probably was a good event. If you were buying a ticket based on ZZ and "friends" then you probably feel ripped off a bit or a lot, and it WAS marketed as ZZ and Friends... So I'd imagine there are more folks feeling left cold than folks feeling like they got value for money.

"If BC Soccer or the Whitecaps advertised a Zidane Testimonial with good young Canadian players there would be a great turnout."

Vic, can you not see the huge difference between what you posted above and the Adlani/Zidane reality. If Adlani had honestly advertised an event such as you just described above instead of something he was patently unable to deliver there would have been plenty of enthusiastic support.

Richard, are you the same guy who kept calling me an apologist?

quote:He claims to be the guy that placed Dani Fernandes in Europe to further his academy. he has stolen money from youngsters in Europe on a tour.

I don't know a thing about the guy other than what I've read here which isn't much and I'd love to hear more. Is that an accurate portrayal? If he stole money would he not be criminally charged? Is that documented or word-of-mouth? Everyone has things they're not proud of, and these seem rather petty by standards of evil. How many organizations have you seen that charge kids exorbitant amounts of money and give them pathetic coaching (not to even mention damaging)? How many big homes have you seen built on kids fees? The scene in the Coach's office in the movie Stick It comes to mind:

Haley Graham: [in response to Vickerman's gold-medal promises to several parents] Yeah, um, you've got a lot of people going to the Olympics. Just curious, what country will they be representing? The state of delusion?

It's but a mental two-step from capitalism to thievery.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Richard, are you the same guy who kept calling me an apologist?

I don't know a thing about the guy other than what I've read here which isn't much and I'd love to hear more. Is that an accurate portrayal? If he stole money would he not be criminally charged? Is that documented or word-of-mouth? Everyone has things they're not proud of, and these seem rather petty by standards of evil. How many organizations have you seen that charge kids exorbitant amounts of money and give them pathetic coaching (not to even mention damaging)? How many big homes have you seen built on kids fees? The scene in the Coach's office in the movie Stick It comes to mind:

Haley Graham: [in response to Vickerman's gold-medal promises to several parents] Yeah, um, you've got a lot of people going to the Olympics. Just curious, what country will they be representing? The state of delusion?

It's but a mental two-step from capitalism to thievery.

Stick it reference?

haha

Zizou's fine mess - By BOB MACKIN, 24 HOURS

Retired French soccer great Zinedine Zidane is waiving the 200,000 Euros owed him so his troubled Canadian tour can pay its bills, according to promoter Ahcene Adlani.

Adlani said yesterday that only 700 to 1,000 tickets were sold for the 7 p.m. Sunday match with and against Vancouver amateurs at Swangard Stadium.

Adlani originally advertised stars like Samuel Eto'o, Arrigo Sacchi and Franco Baresi for matches in Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

A July 4 match at B.C. Place Stadium was canceled after Zidane apparently injured his his back while picking up his child during the Canada Day fireworks. Adlani said approximately 8,000 tickets were sold for $29 to $99 each.

Anthony Hui, who helped finance and organize the June 25 Toronto match, told 24 hours on Wednesday that Adlani owes $85,000 in expenses. Hui traveled to Vancouver last weekend in a bid to resolve the debt and was holding out for payment at 24 hours' press time last night.

"This is simply a request to kindly pay the bill," Hui said. "I am faced with some serious loss of face here in Ontario."

Adlani said revenue is being held in trust by a lawyer.

"I am busy doing my event, so I don't have time to take care of that," Adlani said.

UNICEF Canada spokesman Chris Tidey said Adlani agreed to remit two per cent of gate proceeds to the charity after the tour.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/Sports/soccer/2009/07/10/10087291-sun.html

Did the OSA sanction the game in Toronto ?

Who were the referees in Toronto ?

Seems to me if the games were not sanctioned some of the soccer bodies need to take action against referees who may have been involved.

But what a lovely mess.

The Tour is over...

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=284612

Organizational problems and a freak injury have plagued French soccer star Zinedine Zidane's promotional Canadian tour, but the former World Cup hero still managed to put on a show for a small but energetic crowd Sunday night.

Zidane scored three goals and set up two others while playing one half for each makeshift side as the Reds beat the Blues 10-7 before a crowd of about 4,000 on an overcast but warm night.

The game was played at Swangard Stadium, the home of the Vancouver Whitecaps' men's and women's pro teams that seats approximately 5,200...

I went up last night out of curiousity and watch the first 25 minutes of the game for free through the fence.

I felt I got good value for money!

I've covered this is my blog today (http://www.aftnwebsite.blogspot.com) but you see how highly Zidane is held in the French speaking community. It's a shame he's let himself be tarnished by this or does he just not care? There was clear admiration and respect there for him last night.

It was interesting to see no mention of any of these games on his official website (that I could find anyway as my French isn't the best).

One of the worst things from all this is that it's going to make a lot of people wary of any future promotions in this country unless it has a Caps, TFC or Impact stamp on it.

Archived