zidane and friends coming to vancouver,toronto,mon

snake

quote:Originally posted by masster

If you paid more to see all of the 'names' that were listed...I'm sorry, but you are a fool. Claim false advertising if you want, but none of the other 'friends' were ever guaranteed to show up.

That's such an easy statement to make after the fact. Yeah there are never going to be any guarantees in anything but none of those players mentioned are showing up.Zero.Nada. Unless you are able to predict the future it is not unreasonable,in this case, to feel ripped off.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

That's such an easy statement to make after the fact. Yeah there are never going to be any guarantees in anything but none of those players mentioned are showing up.Zero.Nada. Unless you are able to predict the future it is not unreasonable,in this case, to feel ripped off.

I agree like you I was almost sold on the idea of going because Eto's name was always mentioned as it was advertised but I never got myself organized to buy a ticket. The website is a joke they still have photos of players that have not or will not be playing !! Also cant seem to find the Vancouver game ? So it shows how totally incompetent a promoter he is or a scam artist take your pick but either way not surprised why no sponsors or the CSA would want to be branded with this event.

Woops .. my last post was an accident.

I bought the cheapest tickets available. If I purchase tickets I expect to get the show AS ADVERTISED. This is the first time i've heard of a scam like this. If the other names were'nt mentioned I wouldn't have paid $75/ticket to see the match to see zidane run around with a bunch of amateurs. The montreal and toronto folk were both scammed so i'm sure vancouver can expect the same result.

Montreal game was a lot of fun... I know some of you on this site are pissed off and feel you got ripped off, but if you go to see the game you will feel differently. I was honoured to be in both of the games in Toronto and Montreal, and if you are a soccer person you will understand. It was all about Zidane, and that is why it was a great time had by all. It was amazing to see him in person on the field. The fans loved seeing him play, and I was in awe. The simplicity of his play was... Hard to explain... but if you were there to see it, you would understand. I know this tour hasn't really turned out right for some, but for those that have respect for Zidane as a player, they will never forget the experience of playing with, or seeing, arguably one of the best players to ever live!

The question is not whether the venue was entertaining. It maybe have been entertaining but still does not justify the fact that the act of fraud was committed in order to sell tickets. If it was aware that ONLY zidane was going to come then ticket prices should have been sold at a reasonable price not starting at $70/person. I wanted my money's worth which I did not get. I was actually more inclinced to see some of the "Friends" that were advertised than zidane. I'm not sure what ticket prices are in vancouver but if its over $20 dollars don't go. A class action suit is being filed and rightfully so. I think fans deserve at least a partial refund for not getting what they paid for.

hahaha

So is it now "Friends" vs "Friends"...are Vancouver people expected to pay for the equivalent of a VPSL game?

And to Rick, as much as I like seeing you around our site, I find the argument a bit self-centred and even a tad condescending. OF COURSE the experience was great for guys like YOU who could suit up as amateurs or semi-pros and play on the same pitch as Zidane. But to ask people to pay for that (and only that) when they have been promised so much is a complete sham. And don't use the "soccer people would understand" argument, because, as you should know better than most, the kind of people who regularly contribute to forums like this follow soccer much more carefully than the average soccer player, without a doubt. At least enough to know the difference between top-level football and common park-league pick-ups games.

Not being self-centred nolando, just giving a players perspective on the two games in question. Just trying to get some positive out of something that has gone really wrong. The people that did not get to see what they wanted I fully understand, because they had to shell out money to see guys they've seen play before. I am not trying to be an ass about this event, I know it is not the best, but with that said, it was still a good time for the majority of those that came. It was a great atmosphere and I got a lot of good feedback about the games, especially the Montreal venue. I don't expect people to understand what I am trying to say, but in the end I am trying to show that there was some good in all of the bad. That is all.

Btw I agree that it shouldn't have cost as much as it did if certain players didn't show, but that is not my fault Nolando I am not holding this event. I am not pushing anyone to attend either I am just saying that it was not that bad as far as a gala game goes.

If he has genuinely injured his back as badly as has been implied he probably feels uncomfortable right now. But for a guy his age to recover sufficiently to play a respectable, entertaining game on July 12th, just eight days later than the originally scheduled game for which he was deemed unfit, will be quite remarkable.

So, the 8,000 people who bought tickets for the BC Place (60,000 seats) game must apply for a refund then buy new tickets for the Swangard (5,600 seats) game.

It will be interesting to see if the July 12th game goes ahead even in a venue one-tenth the size of the original one and how easily folks are able to get their money back on BC Place tickets because I suspect the promoter is already bleeding cash and unable to meet his obligations.

The original glitzy website at www.zidaneandfriends.com has been taken down and replaced with a rather poorly worded plain text page about the problems the promoter has been having with the Vancouver kickaround.

well on the global news broadcast at noon today zidane showed up for the free coaching clinic at brittania oval this morning.

during the news report it was said that zidanes wife is so in love with the city of vancouver that they are house hunting in the lower mainland.

zidane for 2011 caps roster(wouldnt that be great)

I am very skeptical about this injured back business, looks suspiciously like a ruse to change the venue to a smaller, MUCH cheaper one because of lagging ticket sales for 60,000 seat BC Place following the bad publicity the whole Zidane thing has brought about.

According to a CP report: the rescheduled game in Vancouver "will lack some of the players that appeared in previous matches in Toronto and Montreal, promoter Ahcene Adlani said Friday." So now the roster of "friends" will be even thinner!

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090705/BC_zidane_soccer_tour_090705/20090705/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

quote:"We have had no positive support from people who are supposed to be doing that,'' said Ahcene Adlani, the Burnaby-based promoter of the charity series. "Lots of people didn't know that this was happening.''

That view was echoed by the organizer of a soccer camp in East Vancouver, which was set up on July 3rd to give underprivileged children the chance to meet Zidane and see him demonstrate his considerable ball skills.

Carrie Serwetnyk said she expected "thousands of people" to show up at the Britannia Oval to see the former Real Madrid player sign autographs and show off his skills. But the event attracted a crowd of about 150, including the 100 kids who were chosen to participate.

"It's too bad because this was a once in a lifetime opportunity,'' said Serwetnyk, adding that Zidane is one of the richest athletes in the world. "He didn't need to be here,'' she said.

Kind of casts a shadow on the phrase "soccer town".

When a soccer event comes to town, and the Whitecaps don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole...you know something's wrong. 'Caps look real good for not associating themselves with this. When Steve Nash comes to town with his soccer buddies...they'll be all over that. Because those players WILL show up.

Archived