zidane and friends coming to vancouver,toronto,mon

snake

Here's what the press release says (minus the promoter particulars):

ZIDANE & FRIENDS TOUR CANADA

A PORTION OF THE PROCEEDS WILL GO TO UNICEF

Representatives from Adlani Soccer today announced the details of the Zidane & Friends

Canadian tour in June and July. International soccer champion Zinedine Zidane and other

star players will compete in a friendly match at BMO Stadium in Toronto on June 25, at

Percival Molson Stadium in Montreal on June 28, and at BC Place Stadium in Vancouver on

July 4. A portion of the proceeds from the event will be donated to UNICEF for its programs

to improve the lives of millions of children in 156 countries and territories worldwide.

“I am very excited to be coming to Canada”, said Zidane this week.

Team members of the former soccer star will include Samuel Eto'o, Fabien Barthez, Christian

Vieri, Franco Baresi and Gennaro Gattuso. They will be coached by the former coach of the

Italian national team, Arrigo Sacchi, who led Italy to the World Cup in 1994. The

international team will compete in friendly matches with players from several Canadian cities.

Tickets

Montréal – June 28 - Admission : entre 21 $ et 198 $.

Toronto – June 25 - Ticketmaster : entre 42,50 $ et 191,25 $.

Vancouver –July 4 - Ticketmaster : entre 29 $ et 99 $.

Zinedine Zidane is one of the greatest soccer players in modern times. He has led France to

two World Cup appearances including a title in 1998. His club affiliations have been equally

impressive including Real Madrid and Juventus FC. Zidane retired from professional soccer

in 2006 following France’s appearance in the World Cup final. As Goodwill Ambassador to

the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), he makes regular tour appearances at

stadiums in Europe, Africa and Asia. Zidane’s “Match Against Poverty ” benefits many

charities

“ Zidane is such an ambassador for the game and brings hope and happiness wherever he

goes, ” said Ahcene Adlani, tour promoter. “ In these difficult times, the beautiful game,

played by one of the game’s most beautiful players can only inspire others to achieve great

things. ”

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Toronto soccer people are really doing their best to ****e on this event. When this is all said and done I will let you know what happened from the beginning. The people that complain that our sport doesn't get enough respect are the ones that make the sport seem like a joke in the first place. Absolute hipocrasy!
It's not just a Toronto thing unfortunately.

Well that wasn't much more than I knew going into the weekend. This match is less than 3 weeks away. So far I know that 7 or 8 pretty decent players are(probably)going to be there. About the same as was announced 2 months ago. I'm personally interested in seeing Gattuso who is playing in the Confed Cup which ends 1 week before the B.C.Place match. He could easily get injured and not even make it.This is one of the more riskier ticket buying decisions I've had to make.

What caught my attention: "It's a big risk. We don't have sponsors. But we also don't have a deadline [for calling off the tour]. The event will go on."

Zidane tour will proceed, promoter says

JAMES CHRISTIE

From Wednesday's Globe and Mail, Wednesday, Jun. 17, 2009 03:18AM EDT

A week before the scheduled opening game at Toronto's BMO Field, the Zidane and Friends soccer tour of Canada still has no sponsors, ticket sales have been slow and there are no opponents listed on the website promoting the tour.

But the show will go on, says chief promoter Ahcene Adlani of Burnaby, B.C.

"I don't know if I will lose money," Adlani said in a telephone interview. "We had to face negativity for the past three weeks. I love the game and I brought this event here and asked clubs [and the Canadian Soccer Association] to be a part of it, but nobody was interested.

"So, I kept pushing, and with my friends we are moving along, little by little. I didn't know it would be so hard."

The tour has scheduled games for June 25 at BMO Field in Toronto, June 28 at Molson Stadium in Montreal and July 4 at B.C. Place in Vancouver. What's advertised on the website promoting the soccer exhibitions is a series of games featuring the retired French international star Zinédine Zidane, who led the country to the 1998 World Cup, and some of his all-star friends, including Alessandro Costacurta of Italy, Ludovic Giuly of France, Samuel Eto'o of Cameroon, Dado Prso of Croatia and Italian coach Arrigo Sacchi.

On Sunday, organizers optimistically held a news conference in Montreal, saying that a portion of the proceeds from the event will be donated to UNICEF programs aimed at improving the lives of children in 156 countries.

"Ticket sales are okay in Montreal but they are behind in Toronto and Vancouver," Adlani said, although he did not give numbers for tickets sold.

"It's a big risk. We don't have sponsors. But we also don't have a deadline [for calling off the tour]. The event will go on."

Tickets in Toronto are priced from $42.50 to $191.25. In Montreal the range is $21 to $198 and in Vancouver $29 to $99.

Zidane has appeared as a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations Development Program (UNDP) and has made tour appearances at stadiums in Europe, Africa and Asia with a Match Against Poverty tour to benefit charities.

Adlani was a professional soccer player in Algeria, France and Russia. He is a CSA certified coach and has been in the game as a player and coach for more than 25 years. He's previously had success bringing in professional teams from Brazil and Europe to Canada.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/zidane-tour-will-proceed-promoter-says/article1185151/

Nice picture and all, but when it comes to who is the soccer supporter in this country and who is the cartoon character, sorry but I'm gonna go with the guy who invested 7 figures of his money and brought in some of the best players in the world.

Yeah, maybe but I suggest the business model was flawed from the outset. Obviously sponsors thought the same.

If you really want to 'invest' that sort of money to show your love and support for soccer in Canada, buy and operate a USL-1 franchise and develop a club structure underneath it as the Whitecaps have done. Don't blow it all in a dodgy, one-off, venture like this Zidane thing.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Nice picture and all, but when it comes to who is the soccer supporter in this country and who is the cartoon character, sorry but I'm gonna go with the guy who invested 7 figures of his money and brought in some of the best players in the world.

Let's wait and see if it happens. They don't even have OPPONENTS yet!

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Absolutely no sympathy from me. As others have said this is a one off and maybe their motivations are good but it is also as likely or more likely that their motivations are profit despite all the talk of charity. From day 1 this seemed dodgy and I had the impression that even if I am interested to see a retired Zidane (something I haven't quite decided yet) I wasn't going to buy a ticket until he actually showed up at the airport and I could buy one at the gate. It was the promoter's lack of professionalism from Day 1 that created this impression that gave me a lack of confidence. If because of this he can not sell enough tickets that is not my fault. Bringing a retired Zidane in is not promoting soccer in Canada. Trying to establish professional and even semi-professional teams in our cities is. If this guy loses his shirt on this I have only one response: Cry me a river.

quote:Originally posted by rick titus

Details still being sorted out... Toronto soccer people are really doing their best to ****e on this event. When this is all said and done I will let you know what happened from the beginning. The people that complain that our sport doesn't get enough respect are the ones that make the sport seem like a joke in the first place. Absolute hipocrasy! Same faces same names, same result! Hey Dino I'll get in touch with you and let you know what is happening!

I look forward to your call Rick. you know that I'll buy a ticket but I need to hear it from you that i'm not wasting my money before I put my money down

I have some info from sleuthing, and know at least some of the players rumoured to be playing here in Vancover against Zizou and co.

VMSL Guys:

Steve Kindel, Columbus Clan (Former Whitecap)

Jeff Clarke, Surrey Utd Fire Fighters (Former Whitecap Captain)

Alfredo Valente, Coquitlam Metro Ford (Former Whitecap)

Tyler Rosenlund, Coq. Metro Ford (I think?) (TFC and Caps Trialist)

FVSL Guys:

Jay Gangnes, Poco City FC (2nd in FVSL Scoring this last year)

Mike Perry, Chilliwack (Chilli's top player if memory serves from watching them play my club Langey this last season)

Diaz Kambere, Athletic Club of BC (Former Whitecap)

Of Course none of these guys paid $236.25 to Try out, basically a bunch of guys were invited to play, and if the organisers don't know you, you had to play that to Try out.

It's great that this tour is happening... but if someone is going to pony up for great players and for great venues, why not hire an equally great PR firm to create a first-class promotional campaign and to procure first-class sponsors? It's as if the tour organizer decided to use his best friend instead of a proper PR company in order to save a few bob. Seems all rather surreal to me.

I've seen better advertising for bhangra dance parties in Surrey banquet halls than I have for this joke of an "all-star" international football match.

This event is going to flop HARD... and the pathetic attendance will give plenty of ammunition to all the soccer detractors out there when this draws less than a Whitecaps womens match.

I just got back from a press conference at Hershey Center in Mississauga, ON where Zidane was introduced to the Toronto media.

Zizou was definitely there. I was literally 2 feet away from him when he walked to the head table. This puts an end to any concerns I had that this game is a fake.

However, I do have some concerns based on what I saw.

First, the turn out for this press conference was so small (I only got the call about this 2 hours ago....luckily I work down the street). If enough notice was given, Zidane could have been given a proper welcome to the Toronto area. It would not have been hard to get 200-300 people there to see one of the greatest footballers ever.

Also, how could the organizers not think of providing a translator to translate the answers Zizou was giving (he doesn't speak much english so his repies were in French, Spanish and Italian, which is of little use to English only media).

When the Canadian "All-Stars" were introduced, I was surprised not to see the players I was expecting to see. I was under the impression that Rick Titus was putting together a very competitive team of local top talent to play in this match, along with a couple of MNT pool players. What I saw introduced were some very young men. I know the players that Titus was getting organized to face Zidane's team of all stars and, at least, Titus' crew would offer a good challenge. I actually saw them play a practice match about 2 weeks ago and I was pretty impressed with what I saw. I thought the promotors had dropped the crazy idea of giving spots on this team to kids who paid $300 to try out.

I'll say this...I have tremendous respect for the balls that the promotor of this event (Adlani Soccer Ltd) has to have to even try to pull this off. I'll probably buy a ticket but I really hope that, over the next few days, they get their act together and put together a professional event befitting a player of Zidane (and his teammates') stature.

Hell, I was out for a drive in the burbs this morning for work and noticed no less than six signs advertising the Russell Peters after party from his show in Vancouver a few nights back. Big signs - maybe 5 feet by three feet, and in full colour.

Bottom line: There is better advertising for an event in a 200 seat nightclub that happened LAST WEEK than there is for this laughable showcase of international football stars.

[by "laughable" I mean the poorly promoted Vancouver leg of the event, not the visiting players who are coming here.]

I was just talking to Frank Uccello and he informed me that his son Julian will be taking part in the Toronto game.

He'll also be coming on here in a few weeks to update us as to where Julian will be playing next year. Most will be happy to hear that he's been entertaining offers from teams a couple of levels higher than Serie D.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I was just talking to Frank Uccello and he informed me that his son Julian will be taking part in the Toronto game.

He'll also be coming on here in a few weeks to update us as to where Julian will be playing next year. Most will be happy to hear that he's been entertaining offers from teams a couple of levels higher than Serie D.

A couple of levels higher = Serie B. That would be a very positive development. Edit: Oops on second thought that might be C1 as I forgot about C2. Still a lot better than Serie D though.

Archived