Montreal tix sales: 35,000

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Vancouver and I was looking forward to watching this match, but as I check the schedule I see that it's on at midnight, a good 5 or 6 hours after it's going to be over. Maybe I'll watch it on the CBC Ontarion channel... oh wait, that's not on until 9pm in Vancouver. The CBC needs to wake up!

I live in Vancouver and I was looking forward to watching this match, but as I check the schedule I see that it's on at midnight, a good 5 or 6 hours after it's going to be over. Maybe I'll watch it on the CBC Ontarion channel... oh wait, that's not on until 9pm in Vancouver. The CBC needs to wake up!

quote:Originally posted by TT5

You can watch it online.

This game will be the final nail on the Canadian media's anti soccer attitude.First Toronto and now Montreal the two biggest cities in Canada embracing soccer in ways never experienced in Canadian sporting circles.I guess they will be scrambling ignoring and even probably criticizing,but the writing is on the wall.It's to bad that the BMO field is only limited to 20000.I am sure we could fill a 35000 seat stadium and on playoff days easily a sixty thousand seat stadium.It is to much fun to not get rapped up in this amazing and so thrilling game with all it's beauty and you name it.Certainly unequaled by no one or even close.I guess the problem with hockey if this were to be a spectator numbers game,that puck is to small for any stadium over 25000.Well Montreal it looks that you are outshining TO and that in the middle of the winter.Watch what the TO papers and media in general will do about this game,....what game....God forbid if they even win.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

It's to bad that the BMO field is only limited to 20000.I am sure we could fill a 35000 seat stadium and on playoff days easily a sixty thousand seat stadium.

Rogers Centre has Fieldturf. There's your logical new home away from home. Playoffs, Champions League, you guys have the support to bring in the crowd. Now you just need the team to get you to some cup games.

48,000 last official number from monday 23rd. Expecting to get to 50,000 by wednesday. Even if 10,000 mexican fans end up coming, it would still be 40,000 fans cheering for the impact - a simple USL team AND a WINTER WEEKDAY - which is quite an amazing number and definately proves that MTL deserves an MLS team.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Not a word in the Toronto Star and Globe,Sun did a good job.

I hope the place rocks and even better they win.Soccer in February in Montreal,surreal and even a sell out,beyond surreal.This is a huge message.

Hey John. There was a nice article in the Globe today. The National Post as well. The Vancouver Province also had an article on how Montreal's success in the Champions League really prooves the importance of the Vs Cup and how the Whitecaps will make the tournament a real focus. I usually dummp on the media, but there has been some nice coverage, at least here in Vancouver.

I rechecked my Globe of 2-24 and 2-25 and not a word.

Grizzly just sent me a text message and the place is rocking.Mostly Canadian fans I assume.It started at the bars at 5 pm and loaded to the rafters.Apparently there was a march as well and covered on life tv.Grizz must be in heaven.

I picked the game on Bold and this is amazing stuff .

quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

Rogers Centre has Fieldturf. There's your logical new home away from home. Playoffs, Champions League, you guys have the support to bring in the crowd. Now you just need the team to get you to some cup games.

They've put real turf down over top for every match I've watched there.

Fark me, that was AWESOME!!! I stayed up until 2:00AM Wpg time watching the delayed broadcast (without knowing the score). That was a crapload of people in the stadium and the atmosphere sounded good! I'm surprised there isn't a separate topic on the main board because this seemed to me to be a major milestone in Canadian football. Fark, there was 55,000 Canucks cheering on a Canadian club soccer team! Amazing!

Of course I was brought back down to earth by the sh***y Winnipeg Free Press this morning who didn't bother to notice this game. I'll be e-mailing the farkwads.

<edit> e-mailed:

Mr. <name removed>

I was disappointed to find that the print version of the Winnipeg Free Press for February 26, 2009 had no mention of the match between Montreal and Santos Laguna from February 25, 2009. The match was played in front of 55,000 enthusiastic fans and it was, in my opinion, a cracking match. Such a large turnout may be indicative of a change in the Canadian public’s attitude towards soccer and the media should reconsider the way they do or do not cover the sport if they want to keep subscribers.

I did notice that the on-line version of the paper does contain an article on the match but I had to do a search for it as it was buried away from the main sports page.

I hope your team will reconsider and revamp its coverage of the Impact and MLS’s Toronto FC as they will shortly begin their new seasons. You may also wish to note that Ottawa, Vancouver, and Montreal are all being seriously considered for admission to MLS, which is the premier league of soccer in Canada and the US. This is indicative of the Canadian public’s hunger for soccer. If the public wants to watch soccer, don’t you think that the public wants to read about the game in their morning newspaper?

All the best to you!

<name>

Well written!

This country needs the support of the media to push this sport.

Was at the game... truly amazing.

55,571 fans - and barely any mexican santos fans. During the whole game I never heard any noise or chants from the few santos fans that came to the game.

What a milestone in Canadian soccer history. GO IMPACT

Well written!

This country needs the support of the media to push this sport.

Was at the game... truly amazing.

55,571 fans - and barely any mexican santos fans. During the whole game I never heard any noise or chants from the few santos fans that came to the game.

What a milestone in Canadian soccer history. GO IMPACT

Great stuff guys,it is all about that media who certainly are now struggling as to what to do about soccer.The writing is on the wall and has been for many years,but they have been able to suppress this.After Montreal we have the right to demand equal treatment in all media.I forecasted this crap as well and I hope that more of you will email or even call the sports desk and let them know how you feel about this coverage and how you feel about this game and the future of soccer.

THE GREATEST MILESTONE IN CANADIAN SOCCER EVER INDEED.

THANK YOU IMPACT, THE MONTREAL FANS AND GRIZZLY

Great stuff guys,it is all about that media who certainly are now struggling as to what to do about soccer.The writing is on the wall and has been for many years,but they have been able to suppress this.After Montreal we have the right to demand equal treatment in all media.I forecasted this crap as well and I hope that more of you will email or even call the sports desk and let them know how you feel about this coverage and how you feel about this game and the future of soccer.

THE GREATEST MILESTONE IN CANADIAN SOCCER EVER INDEED.

THANK YOU IMPACT, THE MONTREAL FANS AND GRIZZLY

Archived