Dichio now a TFC Canadian?

MM2

Looks like TFC will now be able to count Dichio as a Canadian for roster purposes.

From the Province

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/soccer/Dichio+happy+finally+call+Toronto+home/1247882/story.html

My future is here," the TFC forward said yesterday at the first day of training camp at BMO Field. "We got our Permanent Residence [application] accepted, and as a family, we were really happy with that. We have done all our medicals, so we can't be kicked out of the country."

John Carver, TFC's coach, duly noted the change in his fellow Brit and started "taking the Mick" out of Dichio, and calling him a "proper Canadian" when he saw the 6-foot-5 soccer giant clad in full winter garb.

thats great not just for TFC but for Canada Dichio is great from what i see. I'm glad he loves Canada so much, i think he will make a great coach in the TFC Academy program. Heck what young guy wouldnt play his butt off for the first person to score for TFC.

quote:Originally posted by kcisoul

that's great not just for TFC but for Canada Dichio is great from what i see. I'm glad he loves Canada so much, i think he will make a great coach in the TFC Academy program. Heck what young guy wouldn't play his butt off for the first person to score for TFC.

Not good for Canadian player Development, potentially one less roster spot for a Canadian player. Add this to the International slots (3)that TFC has picked up in trades and and roster cut backs (28 to 24)and that leaves fewer spots for Canadians.

Maybe the Academy is our only hope. Produce and keep players who are better then ones who can be brought in.

quote:Originally posted by MM2

Not good for Canadian player Development, potentially one less roster spot for a Canadian player. Add this to the International slots (3)that TFC has picked up in trades and and roster cut backs (28 to 24)and that leaves fewer spots for Canadians.

Maybe the Academy is our only hope. Produce and keep players who are better then ones who can be brought in.

I'm with you - what the hell is great about one fewer (real) Canadian at TFC?

Yes, in some sense it's nice to see a civilised, hard-working family get accepted as residents by Canada (as opposed to foreign criminals or money launderers or something) but get real here people. This is the second move in a week that is actually stepping in the opposite direction for those who want to see Canadians playing at TFC.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

I'm with you - what the hell is great about one fewer (real) Canadian at TFC?

Yes, in some sense it's nice to see a civilised, hard-working family get accepted as residents by Canada (as opposed to foreign criminals or money launderers or something) but get real here people. This is the second move in a week that is actually stepping in the opposite direction for those who want to see Canadians playing at TFC.

Actually, I'll chime in and say that it is good for Canada if he turns around and helps the community in the future. God knows we need more options for coaches in Canada (particularly at the NTCs). I'm not convinced that one extra spot for a Canadian would mean drastic changes for the game in this country.

But come on guys, if Tyler Rosenlund gets less playing time out this, his chance to become the next zidane is ruined ALL BECAUSE OF DANNY!!!!

Ok, now back to reality.. It is good because you have a good soccer mind wanting to spend his life here and help out soccer in this country.

^Actually I have nothing against Dichio getting his Canadian status and as a landed immigrant he is entitled to the same employment opportunities.

I also hope he becomes a great coach and contributes to the development of soccer in Canada.

Good on him and his family for choosing Canada.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

But come on guys, if Tyler Rosenlund gets less playing time out this, his chance to become the next zidane is ruined ALL BECAUSE OF DANNY!!!!

Ok, now back to reality.. It is good because you have a good soccer mind wanting to spend his life here and help out soccer in this country.

Whatever...my point is that if thirty-year-old Brits get more playing time than twenty-year-old Canadians because of these deals then of course it isn't great for Canadian soccer. Period. Need I remind anyone that this ISN'T another TFC fanclub.

Whatever...my point is that if thirty-year-old Brits get more playing time than twenty-year-old Canadians because of these deals then of course it isn't great for Canadian soccer. Period. Need I remind anyone that this ISN'T another TFC fanclub.

Thirty year old brits will not get more playing time then twenty something canadians if the canadian is up to snuff.

There is no "deal", Dichio has obtained (or is in the process of obtaining) legal permanent residency status, which allows him the same labour rights as a citizen.

If you don't like it, take it up with your MP.

If the twenty year old Canadian deserves to play, then he'll play, that's how pro sports works. Whether this is a "TFC fanclub" or a "Canadian fanclub" changes nothing, the players still need to earn their spots on the field.

If you can name me one Canadian that should realistically take Dichio's roster spot right now, I'll concede the point to you.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

There is no "deal", Dichio has obtained (or is in the process of obtaining) legal permanent residency status, which allows him the same labour rights as a citizen.

If you don't like it, take it up with your MP.

If the twenty year old Canadian deserves to play, then he'll play, that's how pro sports works. Whether this is a "TFC fanclub" or a "Canadian fanclub" changes nothing, the players still need to earn their spots on the field.

If you can name me one Canadian that should realistically take Dichio's roster spot right now, I'll concede the point to you.

Okay, I'll put it this way, then...how many Canadians is too few for most of you TFC fans? Would your lot all be just fine if TFC managed to work out trades and citizenship deals so that they effectively didn't need to field a single Canadian? Because I'm not satisfied with that attitude, and I know most on here would feel the same way. A lot of the younger Canadians at TFC simply haven't been given the chance (or adequate training, other would add) to prepare and prove themselves at TFC. I'm not talking about Marco Reda here, but the promising crop of U23s like Nana or Gala. At some point it becomes a kind of chicken and egg argument, no? Can't get playing time because they are unproven. Unproven because they can't get playing time.

Others haven't been scouted, properly tracked, or even given the time of day by TFC - Hainault being a perfect example.

I am fine with Dichio being on the team - in fact I really like the guy and I like how he plays. They currently don't have any better options up front who are Canadian. Gerba for one, surely would have been a better option that would have fit the bill, but that obviously didn't work out. I just am not happy seeing Dichio take up a Canadian spot on the roster, and I don't think any serious voyageur should have to defend that position with any more support besides the plainly obvious part, namely that HE ISN'T A FRIGGIN' CANADIAN. It's the additional spot that has been freed up for yet another foreigner at TFC that bothers me more than the player involved in freeing up that spot (Dichio, in this case).

If you (and here I am calling out in general, not at anyone specifically) are willing to put your beloved club ahead of the professional development of Canadians on a regular basis then you are probably better suited for the seats behind the serious voyageurs, with your TFC jersey overtop of your Canadian one.

Okay, I'll put it this way, then...how many Canadians is too few for most of you TFC fans? Would your lot all be just fine if TFC managed to work out trades and citizenship deals so that they effectively didn't need to field a single Canadian? Because I'm not satisfied with that attitude, and I know most on here would feel the same way. A lot of the younger Canadians at TFC simply haven't been given the chance (or adequate training, other would add) to prepare and prove themselves at TFC. I'm not talking about Marco Reda here, but the promising crop of U23s like Nana or Gala. At some point it becomes a kind of chicken and egg argument, no? Can't get playing time because they are unproven. Unproven because they can't get playing time.

Others haven't been scouted, properly tracked, or even given the time of day by TFC - Hainault being a perfect example.

I am fine with Dichio being on the team - in fact I really like the guy and I like how he plays. They currently don't have any better options up front who are Canadian. Gerba for one, surely would have been a better option that would have fit the bill, but that obviously didn't work out. I just am not happy seeing Dichio take up a Canadian spot on the roster, and I don't think any serious voyageur should have to defend that position with any more support besides the plainly obvious part, namely that HE ISN'T A FRIGGIN' CANADIAN. It's the additional spot that has been freed up for yet another foreigner at TFC that bothers me more than the player involved in freeing up that spot (Dichio, in this case).

If you (and here I am calling out in general, not at anyone specifically) are willing to put your beloved club ahead of the professional development of Canadians on a regular basis then you are probably better suited for the seats behind the serious voyageurs, with your TFC jersey overtop of your Canadian one.

You clearly don't follow Toronto FC too closely, so I'll help you out with some information. John Carver has stated that he believes Nana is in the position this season to be in the starting line up in defense at some point in time, Nana also played in some games last season and looked very good, so clearly he is progressing, and if he continues to do so, will get that starting spot. Gabe is still young so he needs more time to develop but he also played some MLS games last year and will continue to develop.

It shouldn't be about filling the team up with Canadians just for the hell of it, it should be about filling it up with Canadians with good potential who can be nurtured by the experienced internationals, and this all takes time. It will still take one or two more years to see a TFC Academy product possibly come out and go on the senior side.

Besides if you're MoJo or JC you have priorities and the greatest priority to ANY individual is to keep their job, in order to do that they must assemble a squad that can get into the playoffs and ultimately win the cup, so he has to find a balance to do that, he can't just play young guys to keep developing and keep getting slaughtered on the pitch.

But Nana has gotten playing time and both he and Gala are still with the team after two years. What would constitute sufficient playing time in your mind? Dont forget, that these players are not yet 20

years old.

Regarding some of the others. You need to consider the possibility that we are bias when it comes evaluation and potential. Whereas someone whose job depends on wins and losses is going to be more objective. Maybe they might like a player but feel he is not ready to start right now. Or, they might have a surplus of Cnd talent at a certain position ( ie.: numbers game). Or, the player may not be good enough to play at that level and may never be of that potential.

^I have to disagree a little bit with Nolando (btw, send me update on your status with the spring team):

Stepping back from the who has which spots in MLS, we are a country that desperately needs football immigration. Look at how much the NHL has helped the US in international hockey: Parise and Hull are two that jump to mind, though I know there are several other examples of US players with Canadian fathers. Or Eddy and David Edgar in a football context for Canada. Dichio will be retired in a year or two and looks like he'll coach in the GTA or with TFC. Athletics are surely more genetic than any other vocation, so watch out for his boys (which I think he has two) as future Canadian Internationals. The more TFC players who retire in Canada the better -not only for coaching, but for the gene pool!

I do share some of Nolando's concerns, yet I think in Dichio's case the positives outweigh the negative. He seems to really want to settle in Canada and not just get landed immigrant status to help his career and leave afterwards. In addition to the possibility of his children becoming players, he would probably help the game here in other ways such as coaching. When I am counting the number of Canadians currently playing for TFC I still would not count him but would say this is a positive case of bringing a foreigner to play in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

When I am counting the number of Canadians currently playing for TFC I still would not count him but would say this is a positive case of bringing a foreigner to play in Canada.

That's the thing. No one is counting him as "Canadian", because quite clearly he is not.

He will count as a domestic, in the same way Pat Onstad counts as a domestic in Houston and Will Johnson in Salt Lake.

Archived