Canadians abroad: January 30 - February 5, 2009

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for January 30 - February 5, 2009.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

England League One

Gerba comes on in the 74th minute for a man who had already scored a hat trick with his side up 5-1. Final score is 5-3.

Josh Wagenaar keeps a clean sheet, again, against Leyton Orient as Yeovil win 1-0. This clean sheet is his 3rd straight.

England League Two

Simeon Jackson plays 90 minutes and Jaime Peters enters in the 73rd of a 1-0 Gillingham win at Chester City.

In Germany

Paul Stalteri and Rob Friend both start, but Moenchengladbach continue their losing ways, 2-0 at Stuttgart.

England:

Premier League:

Newcastle vs. Sunderland

Sunday - 1330 GMT

David Edgar will be looking to build upon his improved performance last match for Kinnear's struggling side.

(Edit - usually its N-A who beats me to it, but again my glory is stolen haha - glad to see Gerba did enter the game, great news)

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

League One:

Cheltenham 3 - MK Dons 5

Gerba remains on the pitch for the course of this wild match. MK Dons striker Wilbrahim nets a hat-trick, while Johnson bags a brace. With Wilbrahim in such good form and Tor Andre Flo to compete with, Ali Gerba must be wondering if he will crack the squad again this season. Regardles the Dons maintain their automatic promotion spot to the Championship.

I guess we were posting almost at the same time. Soccernet (often wrong) had Gerba coming on in the 74th minute.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

newcastle have signed a new right back, ryan taylor from wigan....so edgar's semi regular appearances on the pitch are likely numbered.

Although Taylor has played a lot as a winger, and Duff really should be playing on the left. If N'Zogbia is part of this deal, I would bet Taylor slides in on the right side of midfield for now -unless JK can get somebody else before the close of the window.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

England:

Premier League:

Newcastle vs. Sunderland

Sunday - 1330 GMT

David Edgar will be looking to build upon his improved performance last match for Kinnear's struggling side.

(Edit - usually its N-A who beats me to it, but again my glory is stolen haha - glad to see Gerba did enter the game, great news)

:D I had to work

Belgium update:

Klukowski goes 90, Club Brugge get a win and move into 3rd in the Belgian 1st tier.

In the 2nd tier, Radzinski's side, Lierse, win 4-0. Rave reviews from a fan on the team site:

quote:Radzinski niet gescoord maar MAN VAN DE MATCH absoluut, penalty komt door zijn aktie+ 2assists

If you can't read that, it says Radzinski didn't score but he was the clear man of the match, drawing the penalty and with 2 more assists. He also had a few chances that he probably should have scored on.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

England League One

Gerba comes on in the 74th minute for a man who had already scored a hat trick with his side up 5-1. Final score is 5-3.

Josh Wagenaar keeps a clean sheet, again, against Leyton Orient as Yeovil win 1-0. This clean sheet is his 3rd straight.

England League Two

Simeon Jackson plays 90 minutes and Jaime Peters enters in the 73rd of a 1-0 Gillingham win at Chester City.

I'm not sure it's a good sign if Ali's manager doesn't play him when they are lossing 2-1 but get him playing when they win 5-1...Not a sign of trust IMO. If things continue like that he should look at another club for next season.

Glad to see Josh kept another clean sheet.

Jaime made the goal for Gillingham.

quote:An Andy Barcham goal was enough to give promotion-chasing Gillingham the points in a 1-0 win over a dogged Chester side.

Barcham struck from close range in the 79th minute following a positive run and cross from the right flank by substitute Jaime Peters which left him with the easy task of tapping home.

Glad to see Peters making an impact at Gillingham. There is no doubt he can contribute at this level, I saw him in action with Yeovil last year in League One, and he looked a cut above the rest in terms of natural skill.

If Gills can get promoted - it would be a positive place for both Jacko and Peters to keep developing. (We forget how young Peters still is)

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm not sure it's a good sign if Ali's manager doesn't play him when they are lossing 2-1 but get him playing when they win 5-1...Not a sign of trust IMO. If things continue like that he should look at another club for next season.

I'd actually like to see him stick with a club (any club) for more than a season. It might be good for him.

VfB Stuttgart defeated relegation strugglers Mönchengladbach 2-0, handing Borussia their fifth straight defeat.

Borussia had two opportunities at the other end, with Canadian striker Rob Friend going close after 9 and 29 minutes.

Stalteri and Friend both played 90 min.

goals at 66 and 86.

Archived