de Guzman to Spurs?

FootieFool

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1113182/Spurs-close-Deportivos-Canadian-midfielder-Julian-Guzman.html

Tottenham are leading the chase to sign Deportivo La Coruna midfielder Julian de Guzman.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is desperate to strengthen his squad during the January trasnfer window and feels his team need more fighting qualities.

De Guzman, 27, was named player of the season for Deportivo last year and has been attracting interest from clubs in Spain, Germany and England.

Middlesbrough have also been tracking his progress, but Redknapp seems to be in pole position to clinch the signing of the Canada international.

Interesting to see this pop up.

Tottenham were woeful against Wigan yesterday, eventually losing 1-0 but they may make a good match for DeGuzman. Spurs have plenty of depth in midfield, but DeGuzman wold make a very strong case to start as their ball-winning defesnive mid.

I'm sure Jules would rather come to London than Middlesborough as well.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

He'd make loads of $$$ and he said he would accept the best financial offer although he wants to remain in Spain. It's best for Canada that he be in Spain I'd say.

Hard to say. I think from a marketing the game point of view, JDG in England as a major player for major English side like Spurs would raise his profile for casual soccer followers in Canada. Spurs is a more high profile team than Deportivo.

^What YNWA wrote. I think he might actually be a good fit for 'Spurs. And he'd make a **** pile more money than he ever imagined. Ask Brennan how nicely that nestegg of English pounds GROWS when you come back to Canada.

Of course, The Guz should also ask Stalteri how wildly political things can be within squad selections in England. Ug.

Wow. Sudden move if it does happen. I wasn't expecting anything to be honest but this is Depor's last chance to make a buck off the man.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

When it comes to visibility to the average Canadian sports fan, the Premier League is head and shoulders above any other European league. So this move, if it goes through, could really do some good things for Canadian soccer (in terms of domestic awareness, that is).

We only get one championship game a week here. So only one game every five weeks of visibility next season. ;)

Guest Jeffery S.

Spurs is an important team, and will likely figure things out soon enough. There is no reason with their money they could not be regularly in UEFA Cup, their current situation is a bit illogical.

If Julian felt that was the way to go, I would not complain. I bet that if there is an offer there they'll be the most lucrative, both to Depor and to the player. And that if it is head and tails above the rest, player and current team will go for it.

The only real worry they may have is that the fans might get a bit irate and the club president will take some heat. And if the coach Lotina does not agree, that could piss him off enough for him to decide not to continue at Depor, which would anger fans even more, as he is definitely the surprise coach of the year in Spain over the last 12 months. And Lotina's contract comes up this summer. So if there is any hint that selling Julian now could be the beginning of the whole good moment unravelling, they'll make him a decent offer and keep him, as much to keep the peace as to keep the player.

Tottenham is indeed a big club and much bigger than Deportivo (albeit less successfull over the last 10 years). If there´s any doubt to that, I would ask the person in doubt to look up what club has more funds, fans, and spending power outside of the 10 giants. As to that, I´m afraid that none of the really big boys have any interest in De Guzman, and that probably won´t be changing anytime soon. The Spurs have a large number of very highly rated superstars, something which Depor lack (not in quality, but definitely in international popularity).

Tottenham would also be a great move for soccer in Canada. They have way more visability in North America, due to the bigger influence of the Premiership, the lack of Spanish people in Canada, the huge amount of Tottenham fans in Canada, and the fact that you can´t buy the Canterbury Deportivo kit anywhere in any store in Canada. Yes, I do realize that Tottenham isn´t much better but I have seen a few. Some might say that this doesn´t matter, but I strongly disagree. Shirts count for a lot, especially in a publicity starved soccer nation such as this.

As for Julian´s preference, I don´t blame the guys for prefering to stay in Spain having lived in both countries before, but the career move speaks for itself. At least the food in London isn´t that bad...

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

Tottenham is indeed a big club and much bigger than Deportivo (albeit less successfull over the last 10 years). If there´s any doubt to that, I would ask the person in doubt to look up what club has more funds, fans, and spending power outside of the 10 giants. As to that, I´m afraid that none of the really big boys have any interest in De Guzman, and that probably won´t be changing anytime soon. The Spurs have a large number of very highly rated superstars, something which Depor lack (not in quality, but definitely in international popularity).

Tottenham would also be a great move for soccer in Canada. They have way more visability in North America, due to the bigger influence of the Premiership, the lack of Spanish people in Canada, the huge amount of Tottenham fans in Canada, and the fact that you can´t buy the Canterbury Deportivo kit anywhere in any store in Canada. Yes, I do realize that Tottenham isn´t much better but I have seen a few. Some might say that this doesn´t matter, but I strongly disagree. Shirts count for a lot, especially in a publicity starved soccer nation such as this.

As for Julian´s preference, I don´t blame the guys for prefering to stay in Spain having lived in both countries before, but the career move speaks for itself. At least the food in London isn´t that bad...

Ridiculous as it may sound, Elgin Sports at the corner of Bank and Queen Streets in Ottawa sells this season's Deportivo home top.

I agree Spuds are a bigger club than Deportivo; but even if he went there, I don't think I could cheer for that lot.

I think I'd like to see him at a club like sevilla, villarea, or valencia. Maybe I'm over estimating his talent, but these clubs would get him regular uefa cup play, as well as champions league play.

With spurs the most he can hope for is uefa cup/

They Defo need an enforcer in Midfield. Huddlestone is inconsistent and Modric is too Lightweight (The Spud that needs to eat more Spuds).

They get steamrollered Away from Home. Only reason they got a draw at the Emirates was Arsene Wenger's Keegan-esque approach to Defensive Strategy.

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Only reason they got a draw at the Emirates was Arsene Wenger's Keegan-esque approach to Defensive Strategy.

Nothing wrong with attacking football... If it's not for the fans why bother. 0-0 draws are like drilling a screw into your skull. Bring back the 2-3-5... lol

I'm with you tintin I would love to see De Guzman in England. No matter what club he goes to I reckon his exposure would grow and be bigger than it currently is at deportivo. I disagree on leeds being a big club. They WERE a big club, I remember it was only last year when they owed nearly their whole squad over 3 weeks in wage.

He likes the Spanish lifestyle though I'm sure another club in Spain would pick him up at the end of his contract unless a club with lots of cash comes knocking

Archived