2009 Gold Cup in the USA

Sam

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Money talks.

Unless the USSF is paying CONCACAF to host all groups themselves... I disagree.

A group of Canada Grenada Costa Rica and Guadeloupe

Same as 2007 im guessing we are always with CR. Replace Haiti with Grenada.

Where is that group going to draw more fans? Toronto or any other american city? Easily Toronto. The only game that would see weak attendance would be Grenada Guadeloupe but Toronto has a big island community so who knows even then.

ROAD TRIP. I still have yet to see a Gold Cup game live. Here's to hoping the vanue is somewhere in northeast or northwest US, if not Canada of coarse.

Rudi or Sean, you guys should see how much interest there is with the Usectors to head down same with any RPB around once the sked is released.

My question is do you truly believe the number of dollars lost in dropped sponsorship for having ONE group in Toronto(one of the biggest sports markets in North America, the biggest soccer market) greater than revenue made of selling an additional 10 000 seats per game?

I don’t! Lets get real here. Sponsorship of the tournament would see an increase far before companies start bailing out on the Cup. We are talking about Toronto here, not Regina(no offence). Big market=big money, TFC??Canada WCQ?? U20?? All sellouts.

Evidently the major sponsor and CONCACAF don't agree. Miller has stated publicly its purpose is to raise brand awareness amongst the Latino population in the US market - why would they then agree to games they are sponsoring being played outside the USA, sellout or otherwise?

And if memory serves, the Gold Cup is all about double-headers in NFL stadiums, rather than single games at SSS, meaning that attendance/sellout comparisons are difficult. Assuming a group in TO, would we want single games at BMO, or double-headers at Skydome? I'd be all over the first option, but think that the second one would be rather... sterile.

Which is the lesser of the two evils. Not having Canada's GC group in Toronto or having to drink Miller Lite (Blehh...) at a footie match?

Anyway, I didn't read anything there that sinks Toronto's chances of hosting Canada's GC group, although it is pretty quiet out there right now. No rumours at all from the Toronto bunch or any of the usual suspects connected with TFC.

^ Neither did I. The article only says "The 2009 Gold Cup is scheduled to take place in July, with tournament games being played across the United States in several of Miller Lite's top markets." That sounds like standard copy to me. Mind you, "the TFC crowd" would have nothing to do with it in any event.

quote:Originally posted by Tintin

If Israel can be in UEFA, I wish Canada could be. CONCACRAP is beyond a joke. No other federation would hold almost every tournament in one country time after time. I'm just so sick of CONCACAF, Jack Warner and his band of bent refs.

That sounds like a thread topic all on its own: if we had the option, would you rather Canada be in UEFA or stay in CONCACAF?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ Neither did I. The article only says "The 2009 Gold Cup is scheduled to take place in July, with tournament games being played across the United States in several of Miller Lite's top markets." That sounds like standard copy to me. Mind you, "the TFC crowd" would have nothing to do with it in any event.

No, but they do have their collective ear pretty close to the ground at times it seems. Can't divorce TFC/MLSE/BMO Field from any fixtures the CSA would host in T.O. like for the GC.

(Wow, howz about that for an alphabet soup of abbreviations?)

Disappointing that we aren't going to host a group. I can only hope (I'm delusional, I know) that the CSA is setting us all up to host the entire tourney on the next go round.

As for being in the OFC, I haven't seen anything since the last Gold Cup to convince me we are a lock for first in that confederation!

Archived