CSA begins search for new women's head coach

Richard

The Canadian Soccer Association officially launches its search for a new women's head coach this week. The deadline for applications is 15 October 2008. The new head coach will be responsible for the overall management and direction of the women's national-team program. Responsibilities include the preparation and selection of the women's national team. The head coach will also develop and document all aspects of the women's national team, including technical leadership, high-performance training and planning, sports science requirements, and evaluation and analysis of results and benchmarks. Qualifications include Canadian Coaching "A" Licence (or equivalent) and international coaching experience.

Canada's women's national team was most recently ranked 10th in the FIFA/Coca-Cola Women's World Rankings. Earlier this year, it qualified for the Women's Olympic Football Tournament for the first time in Association history. Canada reached the quarter-final stage before losing to number-one ranked United States in extra time. Canada finished the year with 10 wins, seven draws and seven losses, marking it just the third time that Canada won 10 games in a season (along with 2003 and 2006).

Canada's women's national team, whose title sponsor is Winners and whose presenting sponsor is Teck Cominco, has participated in each of the past four FIFA Women's World Cups, finishing fourth at USA 2003 and ninth at China 2007. The women's program has also shown success at the youth levels, qualifying for every FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008) and FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup (2008) this decade.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The Canadian Soccer Association officially launches its search for a new women's head coach this week. The deadline for applications is 15 October 2008. The new head coach will be responsible for the overall management and direction of the women's national-team program. Responsibilities include the preparation and selection of the women's national team. The head coach will also develop and document all aspects of the women's national team, including technical leadership, high-performance training and planning, sports science requirements, and evaluation and analysis of results and benchmarks. Qualifications include Canadian Coaching "A" Licence (or equivalent) and international coaching experience.

Canada's women's national team was most recently ranked 10th in the FIFA/Coca-Cola Women's World Rankings. Earlier this year, it qualified for the Women's Olympic Football Tournament for the first time in Association history. Canada reached the quarter-final stage before losing to number-one ranked United States in extra time. Canada finished the year with 10 wins, seven draws and seven losses, marking it just the third time that Canada won 10 games in a season (along with 2003 and 2006).

Canada's women's national team, whose title sponsor is Winners and whose presenting sponsor is Teck Cominco, has participated in each of the past four FIFA Women's World Cups, finishing fourth at USA 2003 and ninth at China 2007. The women's program has also shown success at the youth levels, qualifying for every FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008) and FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup (2008) this decade.

Richard is this the first time they have asked for Bilingualism .. ( did you forget to mention it is considered and asset ? )

I don't care what language(s) the coach speaks, it is results that matter... we're not looking to fill a federal civil service job vacancy. I suspect in this day and age however, one would have to look hard to find an experienced, qualified world class coach who does not have at least some English. Many Europeans speak two, three or more languages, English included.

I know of 2 European coaches that have applied (one known, one not-so-much). Both would be committed to learning english and in my opinion, either would be a good choice...

Wish I could say more, but since my handle is not anonymous, I can't :)

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this article on Kara Lang on ESPN. She talks about playing possession style soccer at UCLA... hopefully this will be the new norm with a new WNT coach!

Playing some as a wide midfielder in a UCLA system that is less direct and more possession oriented than Canada's traditional Scandinavian style under Evan Pellerud, those skills are further accentuated. Lang already has three assists through five games, and there aren't many college teams capable of dealing with her on the flank, Christina DiMartino in the middle of the field and Cheney and Sydney Leroux up top.

"That's the reason I came to UCLA in the first place, was to kind of get a chance to play the other style, because there is a really big difference," Lang said. "And sometimes it's a little bit tough, because I'm so used to playing the direct style of play that we play with Canada. But at the same time, I'm grateful for the opportunity to be able to play both ways and hopefully add to my game."

Unquote

Full article: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3595046&name=college_sports

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

I watched the Santa Clara -- UCLA match. Lots of possession by both teams but not many quality chances.

One of the players did flip throw-ins and could put the ball in front of the goal. Why don't we see men try this? Is it that they are not as "flexible" as females or what?

Men have muscles in their arms, big ones.

I watched the Santa Clara -- UCLA match. Lots of possession by both teams but not many quality chances.

One of the players did flip throw-ins and could put the ball in front of the goal. Why don't we see men try this? Is it that they are not as "flexible" as females or what?

I've seen many men's doing that. At the youth level I've played with one guy who was doing it on a consistent basis. I've also seen it in the NCAA a few years ago.

Two summers ago we saw male player at a Lynx USL2 league game do that on all his throw ins. Yes, he got lots of distance on the throw in but i didn't see it having any meaningfull impact on the game.

And that is, likely, why its never attempted. I suspect that most players see the throw in as a formality in the game rather than a tactical element. The object is to get the ball to a team mate and thats it.

Players who are good on free kick seem to get noticed and play in higher leagues but you never see that with player who are strong armed in throw ins. Perhaps, its viewed as a gimmick rather than skill worth refining.

During Euro 2008, one of the English news sites (Guardian or BBC) had a daily blog series of hypothetical "what's the right call" scenarios by England's head of officiating. He also responded to questions in the comments section and it was there that the subject of flip throws came up. He had never seen one, but based on descriptions said that it was not a legal throw in his view, and that he would not allow it if he was officiating. He was very surprised to hear that such throws were not merely hypothetical and were actually fairly common in the US, and permitted by American officials.

I do remember a game at Swangard some years ago where a Canadian ref would not allow the visiting Americam team do flip throws.

I expect one problem with the flip throw is that you probably trade distance for accuracy to some extent.

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

During Euro 2008, one of the English news sites (Guardian or BBC) had a daily blog series of hypothetical "what's the right call" scenarios by England's head of officiating. He also responded to questions in the comments section and it was there that the subject of flip throws came up. He had never seen one, but based on descriptions said that it was not a legal throw in his view, and that he would not allow it if he was officiating. He was very surprised to hear that such throws were not merely hypothetical and were actually fairly common in the US, and permitted by American officials.

I do remember a game at Swangard some years ago where a Canadian ref would not allow the visiting Americam team do flip throws.

I expect one problem with the flip throw is that you probably trade distance for accuracy to some extent.

There's nothing in the FIFA Laws of the Game prohibiting a flip throw, so any ref who disallows one is, well, wrong. The only sanction a referee could level against a player for trying it is to caution them for unsporting behaviour (if, I suppose, the ref feels it's an attempt to embarrass the other team or something), but so long as every technical requirement of the throw-in is met, a referee cannot deem a flip throw illegal and award a throw-in to the other side. (Even if the ref chose to caution a player for attempting a flip throw, the restart would remain a throw-in for that team, since the action the player is being cautioned for has occurred before the ball has been put back into play.)

Archived