Radz not playing because of infection worry?

kaykills

I don't post a lot but I just want to get possibly a more qualified opinion on the Radzinski exclusion. I know he got a bad injury to his finger, and based on Dobson's comments during the match last night was that Radz was desperate to go to Mexico and play but he was held back at the risk of infection to his finger.

In my opinion Radz was playing fantastic and creating during the Honduras game. Probably the best I have seen him play for Canada. He really was giving his all out there. Obviously we all know what happened after he came out. If he was desperate to go to Mexico I feel like the staff should have named him in the squad. They are aware of his finger so just let the medical team take care of it until game time. Hell put a bloody cast on his entire hand for all anybody cares. He probably wouldn't have mattered last night but I just can't accept that they kept him out because of risk of infection.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

nice one.... actually i wouldn't put the blame on Mitchell for that, although I could probably blame Mitchell for the bad creamer in my coffee this morning. I did read today that he had to have surgery on a severely lacerated pinky. I still say he should have been in Mexico. I'm so frustrated. If anyone needs any help with a sack the CSA plan please let me know. I'M IN!

I was curious when I heard about Radz not making the trip because of the worry of infection. They say that you shouldn't drink the water in Mexico so showering with Mexican water would be risky.

Obviously precautions could have been taken but even if you protect the finger from moisture using plastic or waterproof dressings the wound would need to breathe to heal properly.

Well that's my uneducated guess anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I was curious when I heard about Radz not making the trip because of the worry of infection. They say that you shouldn't drink the water in Mexico so showering with Mexican water would be risky.

Obviously precautions could have been taken but even if you protect the finger from moisture using plastic or waterproof dressings the wound would need to breathe to heal properly.

Well that's my uneducated guess anyway.

Yeah, but I'm sure the anti-body regiment would have been vigorous but who knows? At the end of the day better safe than sorry.

Speaking of, do we have an idea how his hand got tore open? Friction tear? Staple? Splinter? What?

quote:Originally posted by kaykills

I don't post a lot but I just want to get possibly a more qualified opinion on the Radzinski exclusion.

And you think you'll get a qualified opinion here?:)

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Speaking of, do we have an idea how his hand got tore open? Friction tear? Staple? Splinter? What?

Randy Phillips of Canwest News Service wrote: "Tomasz Radzinski suffered a serious cut to his right hand after catching it on the metal fence behind a banner at the left of the Honduras goal." I thought he cut it on the edge of the sign.

Indeed - very odd and reminiscent of JVD missing out on the first game in the last round against Guatemala. We'll have another few years to consider why he wasn't there. It's not like they are staying in 2 star hotels down there. It's only Mexico. And it's only a pinkie finger - you've got 4 more!!!

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

And you think you'll get a qualified opinion here?:)

Good point. I thought maybe there was a doctor on the forum (or "the ref").

quote:

Indeed - very odd and reminiscent of JVD missing out on the first game in the last round against Guatemala. We'll have another few years to consider why he wasn't there. It's not like they are staying in 2 star hotels down there. It's only Mexico. And it's only a pinkie finger - you've got 4 more!!!

I'd easily give up my pinky finger to play a match for my national team! (not under Mitchell though)

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

Randy Phillips of Canwest News Service wrote: "Tomasz Radzinski suffered a serious cut to his right hand after catching it on the metal fence behind a banner at the left of the Honduras goal."

If it was the metal that did the cut then there is a risk of tetanus.

quote:Originally posted by FootieFool

If it was the metal that did the cut then there is a risk of tetanus.

At the risk of being ridiculed again, I say you are correct. I would assume players keep their shots up to date specially when traveling. Radz would have received a Tetanus shot after the stitching if he didn't have had one in the last 10 years. Risk of wound infection is low after 48 hours. If it occurs the infection is superficial and can be cleaned.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

A honduran, mexican or jamaican player never would had miss the next game for a pinky injury, We're lacking that extra touch of pride and passion in our players.

From what I gather Radz wanted desperately to go to Mexico. It wasn't him making the decision.

Anyway I don't want to keep talking about this. I think my point is, is that if the player wants to go and contribute and doesnt' have a life threatening injury, then let him go. We live in Canada and we should be able to send someone that can take care of his problem. He's a professional and he is trying to reach the pinnacle of his profession. Simple as that. To take that away from him is wrong and it also hurt our chances even more in Mexico.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

A honduran, mexican or jamaican player never would had miss the next game for a pinky injury, We're lacking that extra touch of pride and passion in our players.

From what I gather Radz wanted desperately to go to Mexico. It wasn't him making the decision.

Anyway I don't want to keep talking about this. I think my point is, is that if the player wants to go and contribute and doesnt' have a life threatening injury, then let him go. We live in Canada and we should be able to send someone that can take care of his problem. He's a professional and he is trying to reach the pinnacle of his profession. Simple as that. To take that away from him is wrong and it also hurt our chances even more in Mexico.

quote:Originally posted by kaykills

He isn't a professional in medicine so the last word is for the doctors.

^ The doctor told Diego Maradona not to play for two games because of an ankle injury that he carried on during the whole 1990 WC, he said "I have to be half dead for me not to step into the field to represent my country" in a TV interview back then.

From Wikipedia:

1990 World Cup

Maradona captained Argentina again in the 1990 FIFA World Cup. An ankle injury affected his overall performance, and he was much less dominant than four years earlier. Argentina were almost eliminated in the first round, only qualifying in third position from their group. In the round of 16 match against Brazil, Claudio Caniggia scored the only goal after being set up by Maradona.

In the quarter final, Argentina faced Yugoslavia, the match ending 0–0 after 120 minutes, and Argentina advancing on penalty kicks, despite Maradona missing one of the penalties in the shootout. The semifinal against the host nation Italy was also resolved on penalties after a 1–1 draw; this time, Maradona was successful with his effort. In the final, Argentina lost 1–0 to West Germany, the only goal being a penalty by Andreas Brehme in the 85th minute after a controversial foul on Rudi Voller."

Archived