A long way to go for football in Canada...

Bratworst

Just got back from the game and took me walking into my house to remember I was in Montreal and not Honduras. We had a small away section worth of support in an easily 3/4 Honduran stadium. It would have been nice to say I saw Canada play at home.. but that would be a lie. Until people starting giving a S#$%T^#W%WE%$T about our national team we aren't going to win our home games easily. Anyways.. lets hope things are better in Edmonton..

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

How is it that the CSA can be blamed for Canadians not buying tickets to see their own NT?

#1 Lack of Exposure (ie: Letting people know when we win, Advertising games locally, ect..)

#2 Selling tickets just to sell tickets.. they couldn't care less who's sitting there watching the CMNT, they just wanna make sure they sell the tickets..

It is bad as it was at Swangard all those times. Utterly depressing. Economic migrants only live in US and Canada because of money, not love. They are pure Hondurenos.Take out the turf at BMO and give the games to Toronto. The support there was amazing. This is a from a west coaster. Until Vancouver gets a stadium, its the best we have.

Full blame to Admission for their cocking up the "Travellers" section, but still. That was a depressingly pro-Honduran crowd. BMO was supposedly so great, than we had a great-sounding march (to this first-timer, anyway), then we show up at Saputo, and the place is blue.

Took the air out of my lungs, anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

How is it that the CSA can be blamed for Canadians not buying tickets to see their own NT? That's what I love about the newbs, use all the easy scapegoats except those actually responsible; players, fans.

sorry dude, but they blew the ticket selling. I'm no newb, so eat a dick. it's just fact. read the response above.

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

#1 Lack of Exposure (ie: Letting people know when we win, Advertising games locally, ect..)

#2 Selling tickets just to sell tickets.. they couldn't care less who's sitting there watching the CMNT, they just wanna make sure they sell the tickets..

Utter nonsense even when we advertised well the turn out was sub par. How come the Hondurans don't need advertising to get fans out to the stadium; even in our stadiums. what are you suggesting here, that the CSA advertised to the hondurans but not to Canadians?

Want to know how to get people to come out? Start winning for a change

I just got back from the game and I'll give myself a night's sleep before I make too many comments. I'm very disappointed about the result but almost as disappointed that I felt like I was in San Pedro Sula and not Canada. When it comes to football, Canadians are way too nice!

I assume that the Quebec Soccer ass.provided the clubs a special discount and also was actively involved in promoting the game.What was the media pre game coverage and what involvement did the Manic provide.

I know that Grizzly hinted that there was a very large Honduran population and many travelled in from Honduras.

I know that feeling of total frustration being outnumbered by the visiting team fans.

I believe we have that problem solved in Toronto and this took some very hard work by many of us and the V's and TFC supporters in particular.

We need to ask the CSA some serious questions in relation to promotions,media,Provincial support, local pro team support and promotions and special team discounts.

To read that half the stadium was in blue really burns my ass.

Never again!

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I assume that the Quebec Soccer ass.provided the clubs a special discount and also was actively involved in promoting the game.What was the media pre game coverage and what involvement did the Manic provide.

Quebec had the same deal as the OSA and ASA. I believe 3000 tickets.

Go Manic !!

It must be a bit discouraging for the boys to see so much support for their opponents but these guys are professionals and they know too well the problems regarding home team support in this country. I can't see the lack of Canadian support s significant in the loss. After all, Canada held the lead for a half, silencing the Honduran fans. If we had come out to play in the 2nd half the Hondurans would have been sitting on their hands.

Maybe we should play our home games in the USA. South of the border we don't expect much support for Canada and we have played some good soccer there recently (last Gold Cup and match vs. Brazil). (Kidding)

My problem with playin all the matches at BMO is the same as it ever was: how are we going to build support for the game in this country if we lock ourselves up in Toronto and say that everybody outside the GTA can go screw themselves?

Yes, there are diehards with the money to travel for a game. But diehards aren't the problem. Casual fans are, and the only way to get the casual fans is to continue to try and build in Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver, and maybe even places like the Atlantic provinces, to hold games there in spite of the short-term pain, and to keep establishing the fact that we're a real soccer nation.

I suspect that most Canadians don't know that groups like the Voyageurs exist for the national teams, but if they realised that there was that kind of support and that they wouldn't be sitting in an empty stadium, they'd be more inclined to come out.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

My problem with playin all the matches at BMO is the same as it ever was: how are we going to build support for the game in this country if we lock ourselves up in Toronto and say that everybody outside the GTA can go screw themselves?

Yes, there are diehards with the money to travel for a game. But diehards aren't the problem. Casual fans are, and the only way to get the casual fans is to continue to try and build in Edmonton, Montreal, Vancouver, and maybe even places like the Atlantic provinces, to hold games there in spite of the short-term pain, and to keep establishing the fact that we're a real soccer nation.

I suspect that most Canadians don't know that groups like the Voyageurs exist for the national teams, but if they realised that there was that kind of support and that they wouldn't be sitting in an empty stadium, they'd be more inclined to come out.

There weren't games in Toronto for some 8 years and every city in the country had a chance to grab the bull by the horns. None did, in fact in many cases failed miserably.

The best for people to see the support our National team has is if the game is broadcast from the NSS in Toronto. When they see the vast majority, like in the Jamaica game, of red and the singing and chanting (coupled with wins on the pitch), then they will see how amazing and cool it would be to be part of it. And right now Toronto is the place. Why? Because the fans are the most organized and it seems in TO the problems have been overcome (Canada fans buying most tickets, supporter section, vocal fans participating, etc.). You can't expect people watching from home somewhere in Vancouver a game played in whatever city in Canada get excited about about dead atmosphere and being outnumbered at home in the stands.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Most Canadians don't know that the national soccer team exists---- let alone that there are Canadian soccer fans,very few residents of this damn country know so little about most world sports, and they truly don't care.

Until the media promote a sport and GRAB the public's attention, that apathetic public will remain either slightly interested or completely rabid about one , and only one "sport", and that involves the use of a PUCK !

Archived