Post-Pellerud - What Now?

fishman

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

CoachRich

I was just wondering how long it was going to take for you to make it all about money. Their failure was their former coach Pellerud and la vida Pellerud they carried on. If you truly believe that had they had 10-20 million dollars that they would have won the WC and the Olympics, you know nothing.

And what did De Guzman & De Rosario say in the May 28/08 Globe & Mail? Lindford? CSA? You need money right?

Money is only part of a program but it's a big part of it. I'm sure even you know know that?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The girls played their hearts out, and I'm really glad they have the opportunity to spend another week and a half to just enjoy every single day of the experience right up to and including an absolutely incredible Closing Ceremony. They fought with true grit and Canadian spirit and did us incredibly proud and can walk around every day with their heads high. I hope they heal their sorrows and get out and carpe diem and have some great moments together and cheer the Canadians all over the village.

Everything else, the CSA, the funding, the coaching, the style of play... there's no longer any rush and it will all work itself out one day at a time. I think we're all actually a lot more in agreeance than we realize.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

While I don't necessarily agree with those comments from De Guzman & De Rosario they are squarely aimed at CSA, not the women's team, and not in any way an excuse for what are some disappointingly childish comments from the leader & captain of the women's team.

Sure the CSA has a lot to do w/ creating some misunderstandings between the programs by not being transparent. As we can see it leads to the discounting of one anothers programs.

Don't you think it's only natural for people to stand up for their program?

There are numerous measurement points in sports programs. Far too often we focus on the easiest to measure medals, game revenue, hosting revenue, results, increase participation & etc. There are other measurements that are not so easy to guage but make any sport worthwhile, a reason to exist & that is the impact it has on those that participant whether on the inside or out. The measurement is usually in smiles on the face, love of sport, desire to participate, tears, laughter, personal growth, admiration, bonding & etc.

In the coming weeks it will be worthwhile to read what the players have to say on the pros & cons of their development & journey. To me that carries more value than what me or any of us say here as they were the program & team. They took the step forward & made it happen. I'm proud of them.

TSN -

http://tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=246430&lid=sublink03&lpos=headlines_main

Winnpeg Sun -

http://winnipegsun.com/Sports/Beijing2008/2008/08/15/6463636.html

We are moving ahead each year in our programs regardless of the CSA...maybe not as fast as we like. Mostly due to the people that are running the programs & the players who participate. They have done the best w/ what they have. The same is for youth where lies the most important aspect of developing our sport to the level of expectations we all have.

quote:Originally posted by CoachRich

Don't you think it's only natural for people to stand up for their program?

Sure, but why do it in this fashion? If she is going to stick up for the program, since it was the coach that was being criticized and not any of the players on the women's team I would have preferred it if she had defended the coach rather than take a pot shot at the men's team.

^There is some history here. Also reading what the players say about the program, the coach is definitely a part of their program/team.

Even though we know the issue w/ the 2D's is a CSA issue, they still put the MP before the WP in their statements. The WNT player reps (Neil, Walsh & Matheson)interviews last year about funding didn't put their program ahead of the MP.

quote:Originally posted by superfan

I don't see Sinclair sticking around to get knocked off her high

horse by the new coach. Her childish comments lead one to believe

she is looking south for the future now that her idol "The Great Even" is being punted.

She can pack her bags and leave with her female partner. I don't want that kind of people. For someone who is very shy, she certainly shows a big mouth.

Yikes. No love here.

Speaking of love, I think it's pretty clear now (as if it wasn't before) that this team was just a little too closely knit for my liking. Great stuff for community club under 16 football but for what's suppose to be competitive NT program? Alarm bells should have been going off at CSA HQ long ago.

Anyway, nothing but good is going to come of this [sarcasm]dramatic[/sarcasm] finish to the Pellerud era although it may not seem like it at first. A fresh set of eyes will have a critical look-see at the WNT program. Like it or not that comfortable "Old Girls" network of EP players is breaking up or will be broken up by the new manager. The pro-womens league in the USA will be restarting soon. And womens football will completely disappear from the Canadian sporting radar as a successful MNT gets all of the media attention. And I don't think any of that is a bad thing. A lot of change can and will happen and sometimes it's best accomplished quietly out of sight.

Take a breather, collectively sort your **** out and regain the traction you'll need to move forward.

Guest speedmonk42

She can pack her bags and leave with her female partner. I don't want that kind of people. For someone who is very shy, she certainly shows a big mouth.

Isn't that a little harsh?

If this kept going on, ok I would agree.

Have I missed a dozen other comments like this? (maybe I have, I dunno)

Ref, in "female partner" are you referring to a ex US player, TM who

was conveniently taken on by the Vancouver Whitecaps coincidentally

when the "residency" program started 2 years ago?

I hear lots of stuff which I find hard to believe and which I can't prove so I am not saying any more. I think I am too naive and old fashioned.

Don't be too hard on yourself, her comments were pretty cocky. As a

"captain" of our WNT, she was way out of line bashing the men like that. I do think the players will be bailing out in big numbers.

Should be interesting to see if their soccer careers continue and where they end up.

This is my view on how a new coach may come about. I find difficult trying to second guess what the CSA will do as there is no public plan on coaching replacements nor have they said anything publicly unless I missed it. Now thinking back to what happened with the men's team. We were without a coach for a long time and the CSA appointed an interim coach from the Canadian ranks (Hart). The CSA may do the same with the women and may ask Bridge to take over on an interim basis. After all Bridge has a somewhat successful history and is familiar with the women national pool. And see how things develop from the players' perspective, the coach and the CSA. From there the CSA may look at an international, somewhat famous coach, like they did with Simoes. There was definitely an intention to hire Simoes, but it did not happen because it turned too expensive with all the staff Simoes wanted and some political disagreement in the Board. If the CSA can negotiate a good deal with a prospective foreign candidate for the women, they may go for it. There is precedent of international coaches, Holger, Simoes (almost) and Pellerud.

Now the kicker in my view rests on how Mitchell does. If he is successful in qualifying the men for South Africa, the CSA may think, that hey! if one of our Canadian coaches can have success with the men, surely we can use a Canadian for the women, after all, the women are sitting already much higher than the men. I also believe that the CSA is fully aware of the generalized complaint about Pellerud's HOH style and its severe limitations. Whomever they interview for the job, the matter of playing style will be fully discussed to ensure they get the right person to coach a very different style for the women.

We will need to be patient. I don't think we will see a final decision for a long while. Are there any important tournaments for the women any time soon?

Your analysis looks right on the money. Bridge has got along well

with the players in the past. It would be great to see "his" style of play as under Pellerud he had no say. The CSA can save some $$$

in the interim, see how Bridge plays out, continue a search for a new coach without having to make any fast decisions. The CSA is so focused on the mens side, somebody should advise them of the above plan as it seems to make sense. But then, the CSA never has done anything that makes sense.

Don't be too hard on yourself, her comments were pretty cocky. As a

"captain" of our WNT, she was way out of line bashing the men like that. I do think the players will be bailing out in big numbers.

Should be interesting to see if their soccer careers continue and where they end up.

The players will not bail out at all. Everything will settle down over the next little while, the media will not give the women any further attention, and everybody will return to their lives and wonder what is next. Sinclair is young, as are most of her team mates; they've much to prove. they will look forward to see who will be named coach, and they will assess whether they want to be part of a new program once they see what that program might be. Sinclair is one of the most talented players we've ever developed, and it would be folly not to have her on our National team.

Yes, Sinclair looked foolish in attacking our men's programs--yes, one has to wonder if a more polished, wiser captain wouldn't have simply defended Pellerud instead. All she had to say was "Evan did phenomenal things with our program, taking us from the middle ranks of Women's football to the top ten. We are so thankful for all that he has done--his dedication, his committment etc.--and we only wish him the best with whatever he does next."

Sinclair made the mistake in thinking that Devos criticism was sexist, when it wasn't in the least. In fact, Devos was pro-player in his comments, saying that our players indeed have the talent to play a more complete game. Sinclair should have seen that. But she should be forgiven considering the context...

Your analysis looks right on the money. Bridge has got along well

with the players in the past. It would be great to see "his" style of play as under Pellerud he had no say. The CSA can save some $$$

in the interim, see how Bridge plays out, continue a search for a new coach without having to make any fast decisions. The CSA is so focused on the mens side, somebody should advise them of the above plan as it seems to make sense. But then, the CSA never has done anything that makes sense.

I believe that Bridge is a candidate for the WNT coaching job but I also believe that there are other candidates, some Canadian, some from outside Canada.

I expect that Brian Rosenfeld fancies himself a good candidate because of the "success" of the U17s but I reserve judgement on him until we see how the young women do in New Zealand. The things I've heard about him are mixed. Qualifying out of CONCACAF is simply not a good enough gauge of a team's ability in my opinion.

I have a preference for who should be coach of the program but I have no idea if the CSA is willing to make the commitment to the program needed to bring this person in. Its going to take $$$

Guest speedmonk42

A much deeper systemic change is needed than just the coach of the WNT.

I think that change is happening slowly, but it is a generational thing.

Let's be honest the present version reminds me of a rugby team. Do any of them even have a date? I'll take over the team. I'm cutting everybody cut except Kara Lang and Emily Zurrer.

My team will be colorful, talented, technical and HOT!

Soccer goddesses Amanda Cicchini and Jen Scanzano cmon down!

Canada's most technically talented player: Eilish Mcconville of Ottawa will finally get a chance (Queen's).

Throw in couple of capable hot blonds from the Lynx

and the rest of the line up will consist of smaller, graceful, faster, technically gifted players mostly from Quebec.

It's time to try something else.

Sad comment...players personal lives are none of our business and have absolutely no bearing on their ability to play soccer or captain their team.

Saying that for a shy person she shows a big mouth is so sexist...I guess women need to be quiet and polite. Women should not be brash, loud, brazen or outspoken...should they? Well the CWT has a history of outspoken captains that speak their minds...anyone remember Charmaine Hooper?

I don't think that Sinclair was any more tactless than DeVos...and everyone is applauding him for speaking his mind!

quote:Originally posted by Vic

^ the difference is de Vos said "2+2=4" and Sinclair said "men are useless."

Be fair, she never said men are useless...

"The men's team is not at the Olympics," she said. "It's a shame to hear men's players saying that when they are no where."

She could have been more tactful and said when they are 79th...

Given the full context and timing of the comments I still think that she is being unfairly criticized for speaking her mind while DeVos is being heralded for speaking his.

Archived