Post-Pellerud - What Now?

fishman

The Laval Cometes eliminated the Toronto Lynx. The Quebec Dynamo now competing in the Elite Quebec League (LSEQ) would beat the Laval Cometes decisively. These are players are fluently bilingual-they speak Possession and French.

However, If you took one or two players out of that environment it would break the chemistry. They wouldn't be the same. They've played together for ten years.

Let's give them a good hard look. Like they always say, English Canada has the money and French Canada has the women.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by soccertaxi

If there are more kids on a Richmond soccer team who speak Chinese than English, would it be OK for a new Chinese immigrant who speaks not a word of English to coach them in Chinese, without ever having to make the effort to learn any English? Do you think it might be an issue in attacting English speaking kids to the team?

Now your grapsing for straws and veering off into hypotheticals about community kids teams. And a poor hypothetical at that as you've completely disregarded the fact of the concept of a majority from the national perspective not some kinds community soccer team. This discussion is about the WNT.

From your method of hypothetical's we could next make the arguement that since a new WNT coach doesn't speak mandarin we would be missing out on attracting any part of the significant percentage of young women who speak Mandarin and who play soccer across this country but have little to no grasp of English.

Our good Canadian boys are dying in Afghanistan. Dustin Roy Robert, Stephan John and Shawn Eades.Not a trace of Jamaican, Asian and Arab in 99% of our casualties.

We were Canadian before Pierre Elliot Trudeau emerged as the ultimate enemy of the founding people.

Playing and Coaching Team Canada is a privilege that should be reserved for the founding people. THEY EARNED IT.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it you liberal fascists!

CANADA IS FOR CANADIANS

quote:Originally posted by standfortruecanada

Our good Canadian boys are dying in Afghanistan. Dustin Roy Robert, Stephan John and Shawn Eades.Not a trace of Jamaican, Asian and Arab in 99% of our casualties.

We were Canadian before Pierre Elliot Trudeau emerged as the ultimate enemy of the founding people.

Playing and Coaching Team Canada is a privilege that should be reserved for the founding people. THEY EARNED IT.

CANADA IS FOR CANADIANS

Chuckles .. you recently joined the site.. but of course you could be long time poster who has decided to have second personality ..or maybe its the real one.. on the forum.

Is your real name R.... ?

CANADA IS FOR CANADIANS

Chuckles .. you recently joined the site.. but of course you could be long time poster who has decided to have second personality ..or maybe its the real one.. on the forum.

Is your real name R.... ?

I don't see a national team coach as a civil servant and I doubt any of the world class international coaches around the world see themselves that way either, they are contractors who put their profession ahead of nationalism. For such a job professional competence trumps French or even English language fluency every time.

How much Russian does Guus Hiddink speak I wonder? If a Canadian national team coach who does not speak French hurts the chances of French-Canadians making the team - surely then the Russian MNT coach should be fluent in the 100 or so different languages spoken by the 160 ethnic groups that comprise modern Russia so that every Russian citizen has a fair shot at making the team. What BS!

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I don't see a national team coach as a civil servant and I doubt any of the world class international coaches around the world see themselves that way either, they are contractors who put their profession ahead of nationalism. For such a job professional competence trumps French or even English language fluency every time.

How much Russian does Guus Hiddink speak I wonder? If a Canadian national team coach who does not speak French hurts the chances of French-Canadians making the team - surely then the Russian MNT coach should be fluent in the 100 or so different languages spoken by the 160 ethnic groups that comprise modern Russia so that every Russian citizen has a fair shot at making the team. What BS!

"Hiddink's services are highly sought after, and for good reason: he brings a rather unique set of professional international coaching experience, magnetic and charismatic personality, in-depth technical and tactical knowledge, and worldly manners and resources like the fact that he speaks five languages Dutch, English, French, German and Spanish. He also speaks basic Italian". (pulled from an online piece entitled Hire Gus).

My guess is that he speaks plenty of Russian by now!

quote:Originally posted by soccertaxi

"Hiddink's services are highly sought after, and for good reason: he brings a rather unique set of professional international coaching experience, magnetic and charismatic personality, in-depth technical and tactical knowledge, and worldly manners and resources like the fact that he speaks five languages Dutch, English, French, German and Spanish. He also speaks basic Italian". (pulled from an online piece entitled Hire Gus).

My guess is that he speaks plenty of Russian by now!

Richard.. you might want to check who signs the paycheques in most countries playing soccer... basically all of Africa has the national team coach being paid from Sports Ministry funds... and I suspect its the same or very close to it in many FIFA .. we dont mix government and soccer ( unless its for the money) countries.

Knowing your in depth reasearch will spur a response, I once again remain in awe of the depth of your close minded vision of the country.

Are you suggesting that Paul James simply "made up" replies

to hypothetical questions placed before Even P? That Paul James

had no actual dialogue with him prior to this article?

That is stretching the imagination more than a little bit.

For Pellerud supporters, his post-coaching comments about the players

are very damaging. It would be interesting to see how they like

being compared to his Norweign team (WINNERS!) His comments boil

down to "couldn't make a silk purse out of a sows ear" in spite

of all his tremendous efforts to teach skilled possession instead of

the players continuing to kick long balls. Apparently he didn't have

the talent to do anything more. Poor Evan. Poor team for now

having to listen to this crap.

wow....this thread has really regressed since the last time i looked at it a few days ago.

Here's a newsflash folks. There are almost NO coaches in Canada who have the experience needed to take this team to the next level (The same applies for the men's team). This is especially true of potential female coaches. There are so few qualified female Canadian coaches for this important job.

The answer is clear....this team requires a respected international coach and, if I had my druthers, the coach would be a woman. I'd like to see that foreign coach hire at least 1 bright, progressive Canadian female coach to be a key assistant.

The language the new coach speaks coming into the job is irrelevant. An intelligent coach will learn the language of the team in due course but the most important language for a new coach to speak is the language of winning. As I see it, the biggest problem with Pellerud is that, at some point over the past few years, he lost the winning touch he had as the Norwegian coach (although, comparing the era when he led Norway to victory vs. today is like comparing apples and oranges...he had a lot less talented compeition to contend with back then). He simply did not know how to coax a win or a result out of his teams at critical times. The only thing he can be credited for doing is getting the program to run more professionally and for that he deserves credit. However, as a coach, the man is/was a relic, almost from the 1st day he showed up for work.

If the CSA cares about the program, they will do the right thing and hire the best qualified person for the job and that person is under their nose already and they know it but I fear they don't have guts to pull the trigger. The person that is hired for this job will say everything I need to know about the CSA's commitment to elite women's soccer.

VPjr has it spot on when it comes to finding the next coach. The program has been professionalized, and it would be horrible to see it regress to an amateur, bureaucratic mash of regional pettiness while the rest of the world passes us by. We need a knowledgeable, established international coach who's capable of taking the team forward. Anything else is just treading water or going backwards.

CANADA IS FOR CANADIANS

Hey StandtrueforNazis, why don't you be a man and tell us clearly that you think the team should be all white and coached by whites. That's surely what you mean by "founding people" yes? WASPs?

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Hey StandtrueforNazis, why don't you be a man and tell us clearly that you think the team should be all white and coached by whites. That's surely what you mean by "founding people" yes? WASPs?

Oh you must be Asian. Well how do I explain this? You see Sweden has Swedes,China has Chinese and by that logic Canada should have Canadians. Why is that so hard to figure out? I am no hypocrite. I prefer the founding people. I haven't been pacified by liberal fascists. You know what a liberal fascist is? They are people who go into other countries to tell them what to do and how to live. Like in Beijing. And in Canada. Unapologetically, I stand-for-true-Canadians. We were founded by the English and French. Take a history course.

Canada does have Canadians, they're called Natives. The rest are immigrants, all of them. Being white does not make you any less of an immigrant. Did you just tell me to read a history book while omitting that part? Why am I not surprised. When people call you a racist prick they're being liberal fascists right? How convenient that must be for you. Why don't you answer my question in the other thread while you're digging your hole. In fact why don't you just come out and post a really racist diatribe instead of half-assing your whole argument. I think you're afraid to tell us what you really think. [:X] Go on enlighten me sweety pie.

^ Well in.

"the best qualified person for the job and that person is under their nose already and they know it"

Care to elucidate?

"The person that is hired for this job will say everything I need to know about the CSA's commitment to elite women's soccer."

Yes, bingo.

"it would be horrible to see it regress to an amateur, bureaucratic mash of regional pettiness"

Regress? You mean to something like where half the players who hit the field come from one city in Canada that just happens to be where the coach lives (and who's population accounts for one player on a roster of 18)? Or where 10 of the 14 that hit the field in our Olympic finale play for a club team that just happens to give the coach his lifestyle? Yeah, that would be a real regression.

I mean really, who needs the other 95% of the country? Why don't we just convince FIFA that Vancouverites are founding people and let them compete in the next Women's World Cup as a seperate entity like the Iroquois Nation in the World Lacrosse Championships. That way we can put the entire load on Lenarduzzi and instead of almost all his team he can put his entire team in and save the CSA all those dollars that can be used so much wiser in out-of-court settlements.

My My. The GTA natives are restless to-day. It must be that they are trying to find something positive, other than making money, that MLSE does from them. I see the TFC, the Leafs and the Argos are where they belong and the GTA fans are blaming the rest of the country for their woes.

No MLS team in Vancouver, Canucks missed the playoffs, and the Lions dead last in the West. Are they where they belong?

Nobody blames the other side of the country like a BC'er, and you won't even find one to argue with about that.

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Richard.. you might want to check who signs the paycheques in most countries playing soccer... basically all of Africa has the national team coach being paid from Sports Ministry funds... and I suspect its the same or very close to it in many FIFA .. we dont mix government and soccer ( unless its for the money) countries.

Knowing your in depth reasearch will spur a response, I once again remain in awe of the depth of your close minded vision of the country.

Since you raised the subject of research, my post was in response to Soccerpro who wrote above: "Richard, just think of the WNT team coach vacancy as any other Federal civil service position."

Need I say more!!

Archived