Post-Pellerud - What Now?

fishman

Sorry Guys.

Been a man for seventy-four years, married, three children and three grandchildren. I just wanted to point out that the women are advancing in society at a great rate, and that chauvinist males are forever whining about the fact.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Oldnav

Sorry Guys.

Been a man for seventy-four years, married, three children and three grandchildren. I just wanted to point out that the women are advancing in society at a great rate, and that chauvinist males are forever whining about the fact.

Why are you making it a WOMEN VS MEN issue when it's a question about someone using what someone in the media said to take a low blow toward our MNT when no one from that team was involve in the discussion?

I would expect that someone of your age could at least understand that.

quote:Originally posted by Oldnav

My-oh-my, the audacity of a WOMAN to say something about the chauvinist attitude of the press and the soccer (football for purists) establishment in Canada.

Watch out guys, when the women make up their mind that are going to advance they will wipe the floor with you.

Just look at the female enrollment in universities (over 60%), the number of lawyers in training, etc.. Have any of you looked at the female scholarship awards at your local high school? 75% are female.Look at the females in the support organizations for amateur sport. The donkey work is done by women, the men get the glory, and the press. They are coming to get you, just ask your mother or your sister!!.

I love how people always bring out the % of Women in University as a measure of level of success of the gender. Here's the reason why theres more women then men in university: how many women get trades? how many men get trades? Women can get all the commerce and arts degree's they want. All it gets them is more debt and promise of future schooling or entry level positions. I think most men would rather have $100,000 electrician jobs.

Having just graduated from law school in the spring theres not a higher number of woman than men, nor due they outperform men.

Even though this post was just in good fun by a man, theres a few explanations for anyone for the next "women are taking over the world arguement" you have with a feminist.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

While we're on the male/female topic... I remember posting a while back about the number of women coaching or assistant coaching our national women's teams in other sports and the numbers were astoundlingly high. Right now the WNT is in a bit of a vacuum and there are a lot of loose ends with Pellerud gone after running the entire show for a decade. So here's the question - can a man be in touch enough with how women think/feel/see things to bring it all back together as well as a woman could? Or another way - do women see things like men or do they have a distinct viewpoint they bring to things regardless of the level of competition? And if they do, how important is that, and if you are Stephen Hart how do you weight that as a factor when comparing candidates? It sounds like a dumb question, it was just prompted by my being really impressed with how Sundhage has done it and wondering if the fact that she's a woman hasn't been more important than people realize.

While I think that a female coach (former player) might have an advantage to know what makes women tick, I don't think it is an absolute. Male or female, the coach needs to connect with the players and understand how the female athlete's mind works. Ask any elite athlete and their best coaches are those that were able to get into their heads, build their self-confidence and inspire them to surpass what even they believe they are capable of. A female coach will not automatically have this ability to inspire.

On a different note, I think that a female coach would be good for Canadian soccer. Without opening this can of worms, there are still a lot of institutional barriers for female soccer coaches in Canada and having a successful model at the head of our National team might go a long way to changing attitudes at every level of the game.

And yes, I believe there is a difference coaching females and males. Most coaching courses curricula now cover coaching females. Without going into great detail, some aspects that are more important coaching females are team building and the mental aspect of the game. I don't think that coaches who rely on fear and humiliation have much long term success with female teams (how Rosenfeld appeared in The Girls of Summer, not sure if it is an accurate portrayal).

If you ever get a chance to watch a documentary called THE HEART OF THE GAME, it is an amazing example of a coach who does extraordinary things with his players and who totally understands what makes females tick. Bill Resler gets into his players heads and makes them do things they never dreamed possible. With some unorthodox team building and belief in them he takes an inner city high school basketball team from nowhere to state championships.

On another totally different note I think that the CSA should hire Ken Read to head up operations. He had to leave Alpine Canada because of conflict of interest (his son is now on National Team) and he has been instrumental in restructuring Alpine Canada, finding major sponsors and instilling a winning attitude in the program.

quote:

I love how people always bring out the % of Women in University as a measure of level of success of the gender. Here's the reason why theres more women then men in university: how many women get trades? how many men get trades? Women can get all the commerce and arts degree's they want. All it gets them is more debt and promise of future schooling or entry level positions. I think most men would rather have $100,000 electrician jobs.

Having just graduated from law school in the spring theres not a higher number of woman than men, nor due they outperform men.

Even though this post was just in good fun by a man, theres a few explanations for anyone for the next "women are taking over the world arguement" you have with a feminist.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

Paul James has gotten into bed with Pellerud and is calling Jason De Vos all kind of names. I suspected James wasn't very bright, now I am sure.

http://www.goltv.ca/blog/paul_james/

from Paul James..

In my roll as scout for the Canadian team I travelled to different parts of China, watched many of the top female teams and met numerous foreign coaches. From Hope Powell (England), to Anna Signeul (Scotland), to Tore Lennartsson (Sweden) all had a tremendous amount respect for Even as a coach and as a person. Even Anson Dorrance, arguably the most successful women’s soccer coach in the history of the game, regards Even as one of the top women’s coaches of all time.

Clearly Mr. James does not see his own conflict of Interest he works for Even Pelerud... anything and everthing he says has be valued the the fact Even Pelerud hired him and put him in China for month all expenses paid, plus a salary.

Indeed he is not very smart, and those who have touting him as the next coach .. are hopefully wrong.. PS the Next national womens team coach will have to be bilingual it will be a mandatory requirement in the job notice as it should be.

quote:Originally posted by standfortruecanada

Soccerpro makes some valid points. I witnessed a twenty something homeless woman being dragged out of a building in Toronto feet first by a security guard all the while she was screaming "you can't do this to me i have a university degree!". And you don't have a home. Nobody cares. I know I didn't. The modern woman is a work of regression. Ironically, the sheer power of being a women is fading faster than she can fulfill her aspirations. People cry at funerals for departed mothers who were loved by their family and community. Nobody cares what she studied at school. That's not where women are valued. Unless of course she was a nurse or an elementary school teacher.

Nothing was more pathetic than watching Hilary Clinton ride on husband Bill's coattails in pursuit of the democratic nomination. The graveyards are full of men who have died defending democracy against tyrants and dictators. And therefore men will always be more deserving to lead in my opinion. Who the hell is Hilary?

Women cannot undo millions of years of evolution to equip her body for the every day pounding of professional sports. For a short competition, no problem. An Olympic event or a two week tennis tournament is fine. However, in the long run the body breaks down at alarming rates. Their ankles, knees and joints were not meant for hunting and gathering. Just look at the very short two month W League. The sheer number of injuries are of epidemic proportions. Then all you are left with are the women who are built like men and by then nobody is interested.

Finally, I love watching old movies just to see how women used to talk and behave, so feminine and captivating. Now they have deep voices, muscular bodies and battle weary faces. All that work to prove a point. And they are decidedly unhappier.

THE BEST LAUGH I HAVE HAD IN YEARS!!!!

Re: De Vos's comments - did you hear Forrest agree with him on Prime Time Sports yesterday? Craig finally makes a bold, critical statement. Of course it's agreeing with what a bunch of people already said.

I'm guessing that the CSA picks a Canadian to run the team, just like they did with DM. Not sure if it's the right move, but I think it's inevitable...

Jason

"the Next national womens team coach will have to be bilingual it will be a mandatory requirement in the job notice as it should be."

Hmmmm.... so English and say Portuguese would do, that's two languages? And you put language skills ahead of coaching and people-management skills and experience for a national team coach? Interpreters are easy to find if required, good qualified coaches not so easy. I know where my priorities lie but I suspect you are having a go at Canadian coaches from the West who are likely not to be too fluent in French.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

"the Next national womens team coach will have to be bilingual it will be a mandatory requirement in the job notice as it should be."

Hmmmm.... so English and say Portuguese would do, that's two languages? And you put language skills ahead of coaching and people-management skills and experience for a national team coach? Interpreters are easy to find if required, good qualified coaches not so easy. I know where my priorities lie but I suspect you are having a go at Canadian coaches from the West who are likely not to be too fluent in French.

Richard, I think it's time to allow French Canada a chance to see what they can do. Everybody is preaching possession style and quebecers are way ahead of the learning curve on that point. The team must remain quintessential Canadian. This is a point that is frequently missed in our country. The rewards should always be given priority to those who have the deepest Canadian roots. I would NEVER support a team of foreigners.

Am I reading Paul James article correctly?

"Even encountered, which he did not with his Norway teams of the

90's, is that our players as a result of playing a direct,

penetrating style develop an insecurity of receiving the ball

particularly in the midfield link play, composure and flexability

to change the game."

"The reality is at all levels of the game our players do not train

with the right intensity, commitment and passion of our counterparts

in other countries."

This is from our National Team coach, who has been well paid

(and otherwise reimbursed) for the past 9 years whose JOB has been

to recruit and train players in the most effective ways to play

high level soccer!

I guess the players he picked decided to play their own style and

then dog it in practise and training sessions - which must have been

OK by him because they still stayed on the team (translation from

Coach Pellerud, "They didn't have great skill, were insecure and

lazy. But hey, I'm a great guy so I let them be on the team anyway."

Sooner or later I knew he would get around to blaming the players, just didn't expect it less than a week after he was finished.

If the players didn't see his character before, they are having a

taste of it now.

quote:Originally posted by superfan

Am I reading Paul James article correctly?

"Even encountered, which he did not with his Norway teams of the

90's, is that our players as a result of playing a direct,

penetrating style develop an insecurity of receiving the ball

particularly in the midfield link play, composure and flexability

to change the game."

"The reality is at all levels of the game our players do not train

with the right intensity, commitment and passion of our counterparts

in other countries."

This is from our National Team coach, who has been well paid

(and otherwise reimbursed) for the past 9 years whose JOB has been

to recruit and train players in the most effective ways to play

high level soccer!

I guess the players he picked decided to play their own style and

then dog it in practise and training sessions - which must have been

OK by him because they still stayed on the team (translation from

Coach Pellerud, "They didn't have great skill, were insecure and

lazy. But hey, I'm a great guy so I let them be on the team anyway."

Sooner or later I knew he would get around to blaming the players, just didn't expect it less than a week after he was finished.

If the players didn't see his character before, they are having a

taste of it now.

Quite accurate Superfan. Don't forget the partying, tours and general lack of discipline. Pellerud is the worst that could have happened to Canadian women soccer. It will take a while to recover from the damage he caused and players he wasted.

I can't decide who is dumber - Even P for his statements

or Paul James for quoting him and then summarizing it all up

into "and this is why Even P has been one of the best

Coaches the WNT has ever had"

Dumb and Dummmer. This makes Sinclair's comment look like

a pat on the back to the mens team.

Anyone who thinks James' post and timing isn't political posturing: try and find a previous recorded public comment James has made on Pellerud since he arrived here in 1999.

James had aspirations of moving on to a big NCAA Division I program but instead, he found himself back in Canada leading the men’s U20 program. While the opportunity was tremendous, he admits that it was “a huge job” that required a level of understanding beyond the formation you employ on match day. Politics, increased media scrutiny and a high level of pressure were just some of the additional things James had to deal with.

“It’s all of those things,” he says. “I didn’t like the political side of it and the angling of people. I learned a lot about myself. I can’t work in that kind of environment.”

What is more politics and pressure? The U20 or the Women's?

“Our framework will be this – never compromise on ethic and passion,” says James. “But we’ll change. That’s more in line with the modern-day environment in football. If you play one style, you’ll be in trouble.

“You need to adapt.”

Funny you don't see anything about our one style of play in his blog post. You also don't see amongst his support for Pellerud's tactics that you don't see them used on his women's team.

"... my own personal ethos which amongst other characteristics includes impenetrable integrity."

Is it just me or does the hair on anyone else's neck stand up when they hear someone say that?

Anyone who wants an insight into Even Pelleruds present

day thinking (?@X!)) can read Paul James article in GOLTV,

August 21 - Even Pellerud a Class Act

In it, our Canadian National Coach for the past 9 years, is still praising his Norway team of the 90's while at the same time

knocking our/his players here for " as a result of playing a

direct, penetraying (Pellerud) style, develop an insecurity

of receiving the ball particularly in the midfield which hinders

midfield link play, composure and flexibility to change the game"

As if that's not enought he continues on "The reality is at all levels

of the game our players do not train with the right intensity,

commitment and possesion of our counterparts (Norway?) in other

countries."

These comments, by our ex-coach, are nothing less than a betrayal

to the women who have committed to his style of play, his training,

and his leadership through thick and thin (Hooper et al) over the

past 9 years. Now that he is out, he has no problem kicking them in

the butt to promote his own personal agenda (once again).

He is looking for a new job so he can now resort to trash talking our

players. Greg Kerfoot (Norweign) might buy this bunk, after all

he poured 2 million bucks (+$$$+house) into the program and needs an excuse from Even. Well he got one, to the detriment of our women.

Even Pellerud "A Class Act"? No, Even Pellerud "A __ass Act"

If you ever get a chance to watch a documentary called THE HEART OF THE GAME

I've seen it a few times. I remember reading this Al Maki piece a while back, and I think you'll enjoy it:

http://www.thunderwolves.ca/?page=articleview&id=3101

On another totally different note I think that the CSA should hire Ken Read to head up operations. He had to leave Alpine Canada because of conflict of interest (his son is now on National Team) and he has been instrumental in restructuring Alpine Canada, finding major sponsors and instilling a winning attitude in the program.

I'd heard about him leaving because of his son. Pretty classy guy.

Really? Those remarks were part of the Q & A section of the

article. They were under the A portion when asked if the style of

Canadas game needs to change in the future. If they wern't from

Even in the course of the interview, Paul James must be fired

immediately for putting words in his mouth. And Even should be

immediately contacting his lawyer to file a defamation suit against

GOLTV. If none of the above happens, Evens comments stand.

Archived