Montreal Impact vs. Real Esteli

Now that the voyageurs cup has be awarded to the impact, the champs must look towards the Nicaraguan Representatives. I think it would be interesting to get everyone's views and opinions on the confrontation. and does anybody know when the games will be played?

The first game is In montreal on Aug 27, the second game in Esteli on Sep 2.

How accomodating will the USL be with moving league matches for Montreal (and Puerto Rico) for the Champions League games?

Montreal's current schedule is

vs Atlanta Aug 20

vs Atlanta Aug 24

vs Portland Aug 27

at Carolina Aug 30

vs Rochester Sep 3

vs Minnesota Sep 5

At minimum the Aug 27, and Sep 3 games would need to be moved. But will the league move others as well?

The August 30 game is perfect as that will diminish travel for the Impact since they'll be in North Carolina and will have to fly to Managua from there.

Tough schedule, I guess we'll see quite a few players from the Attak on that spell.

Don't want to jinx the Impact, but it looks like I'll be in Montreal on September 24th for Atlante match. I guess "in Montreal" isn't quite right. I'm staying at a place called St. Donat, which is supposed to be 120 km out of town. I'm guessing there's not a metro or bus stop out there. So, Mpenza, Trident, Grizzly, which one of you guys is coming to pick me up?

quote:Originally posted by Keano

Anyone have any info on the Real Esteli squad? Any internationals or all local baseball players? Wikipedia doesn't have a squad list for them.

About 30% the international are on Real Esteli. There are a couple of honduran players. I saw many matches there 2006 to 2007 when I lived there. The players are on par athletically, and marginally better technically, with the players in the A-League circa 2004 when Edmonton had a team, as I went to all the Edmonton/Aviators matches there. The organization and tactics are probably a fair degree lower.

Saprissa of Costa Rica, who won the Champions League in 2005 I think (and were close runner upo this year) beat Real 10-0 in 2005 over two legs, but Real tied them at home 1-1 and then only lost 1-0 away in 2006, so they are improving. Baseball traditionally has been Nica´s sport, but it has been dying, and soccer has been number one for years. They will continually get better, the youth are obsessed with it.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Don't want to jinx the Impact, but it looks like I'll be in Montreal on September 24th for Atlante match. I guess "in Montreal" isn't quite right. I'm staying at a place called St. Donat, which is supposed to be 120 km out of town. I'm guessing there's not a metro or bus stop out there. So, Mpenza, Trident, Grizzly, which one of you guys is coming to pick me up?

Glad I'm not on the list ;).

How did you get to Saint-Donat and can't you get back same way? ;)

There's actually two private bus lines that run between SD and MTL... just not on Wednesdays... [V]

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Are you willing to sing "Toronto is full of s-hit" with the Ultras at Pub 99 for a Youtube video like the other Southsiders?:D

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Glad I'm not on the list ;).

How did you get to Saint-Donat and can't you get back same way? ;)

There's actually two private bus lines that run between SD and MTL... just not on Wednesdays... [V]

I'm there for a conference, completely at the mercy of my hosts. I'm trying to come up with some sort of story as why I need to get back into the city. Hopefully they'll be some supporters at the host firm...

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

It's too bad Montreal did not play at home on September 3, as many people coming from out of town would come for the doubleheader, Canada-Honduras on September 6.

I'd like that, as long as they don't start some lame "WHo are ya"s and "This is our house".

quote:Originally posted by Montreal_FC_fan

Apparently we might play the away game in Honduras or Miami because RE's stadium isn't FIFA approved.

FIFA approval is not necessary for this CONCACAF comp. Some of the sandlots that many of the matches have been played at in the past and scheduled at now are proof.

Miami, Texas or LA would be a possibility because of the large Nica populations there, and the portential for a profitable gate they could not get in Esteli. Or they may hope that the adavantage of playing in remote Esteli may leave them with the hope of cashing in by winning and then playing in the US against more profitable competition.

Honduras...no way. Hondurans would not come to the match, and Nicas are not welcome in and to afraid to go to Honduras.

Archived