Canada vs Jamaica pre-game meet-up

CanadaLFC

Hello everyone

I am a long-time lurker, but have been registered with this site for a long time. I have bought 7 tickets in the South end of the Stadium and will be doing my utmost to support our boys.

I don't know if this warrants a new thread, but I could not see anything else posted about this. Is there any plans to meet up before the match? It would be an honour to meet some of you. Will you be doing the traditional pub before match or can we do something at an outdoor venue, something like this perhaps?

1606331440_5717a78534.jpg?v=0[img]

Dufferin Gate: the usector pub, usector being the TFC supporters club with the most connections/overlap with us.

http://www.restaurantica.com/on/toronto/dufferin-gate-tavern/23017667/

Shoeless Joes: RPB

http://www.shoelessjoes.ca/locations.htm

The Rhino: North End Elite I think

http://www.therhino.ca/contents.html

Whichever we pick, it better have enough room for our expanded numbers.

The most important thing IMO is that we coordinate a proper march to the stadium with all the supporters groups. This might be over 1000 supporters, can't miss that opportunity.

I'm an RPB member too (got my scarf and key chains last week), but this is all about Canada and only Canada. One big happy, possibly drunk, family walking marching towards BMO Field; that would do me just fine. Now to decide where to meet up...

The Rhino and Dufferin Gate are quite close, I think a co-ordinated march where we both spill out of the bars and meet on either King or Dufferin would be pretty cool.

Where's the Shoeless Joe's the RPB go to?

I'm up for wherever we're wanted and they have room to accomodate us.

I figure a lot of us who are travelling will be there pretty early in the day. :)

cheers,

matthew

quote:
Nice work canadaLFC now were 10 steps ahead of them and there's gonna be blood and Gutz all over the place, u make me proud. I think we gonna need a car bomb!
quote:

Ten steps ahead of what? and ahead of who? What are you talking about? I've seen some of your posts and I think you have some kind of attention problems. Blood and guts all over the place? Yea I think you need some healp. AND PLEASE do not every include me in your plans or whatever, I am not here to make you proud and its not WE its just you.

quote:Originally posted by matthew

The Rhino and Dufferin Gate are quite close, I think a co-ordinated march where we both spill out of the bars and meet on either King or Dufferin would be pretty cool.

Where's the Shoeless Joe's the RPB go to?

I'm up for wherever we're wanted and they have room to accomodate us.

I figure a lot of us who are travelling will be there pretty early in the day. :)

cheers,

matthew

The Dufferin Gate and Shoeless Joes are on opposite sides of the King/Dufferin intersection. The Rhino is 5-7 minutes north.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

All 3 are close by. Might as well just meet up at King and Dufferin for a march to the stadium. Game starts at 7:30pm, so 7:00 sounds about right.

6:45 sounds better.

Let's figure it out closer to the date.

Rudi> what time do you figure BMO will open before the match?

Do we want to greet the players for the pre-match stretching and such? I know it might be tough for some to make it that early, but I think us doing our thing in a mostly empty stadium would make an impression on both sides.

Plus it leaves time for putting up banners and such.

If we want to do the march I think it makes sense for the NEE to leave the Rhino and head south to the other pubs and once they’re there we all leave in a group? Since Shoeless Joe’s and Dufferin Gate are so close.

I think a big march would be awesome, but it depends what people want to do.

we’ll be coming

we’ll be coming

we’ll be coming down the road

when you hear the noise

of the mighty Voyageurs

cheers,

matthew

Do we want to greet the players for the pre-match stretching and such? I know it might be tough for some to make it that early, but I think us doing our thing in a mostly empty stadium would make an impression on both sides.

If we want to do the march I think it makes sense for the NEE to leave the Rhino and head south to the other pubs and once they’re there we all leave in a group? Since Shoeless Joe’s and Dufferin Gate are so close.

we’ll be coming

we’ll be coming

when you hear the noise

of the mighty Voyageurs

cheers,

matthew

We're going to Ah-free-kak

We're going to Ah-free-kah

By blimp by plane by boat by train

We're going to Ah-free-kah

we’ll be coming

we’ll be coming

when you hear the noise

of the mighty Voyageurs

cheers,

matthew

For TFC games, the gates 'officially' open an hour before kick-off, although I've been in the stands two hours prior to a match.

As for the march, what you're described has already happened numerous times for TFC games. NEE, being furthest away, leave early asnd send a text to someone at U-Sector.

RPB generally tailgate before games so they don't march too often, but given that this is a weekday game during the CNE, they shouldn't be tailgating.

As I said, it's still early July, so let's not try to delve too much into it so early.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump - it's August. Two weeks from today!

I'm usually at the Dufferin Gate pre-TFC matches, but would like to meet up with some of the board members coming in from out-of-town.

Winnipeg Fury said that the Voyageurs were planning to meet at the Rhino. It's the best pub of the three as far as beer and food go, but it's the farthest from the stadium, a bit longer for us to get to from downtown, and I don't know what pre-match atmosphere is like. It's also pretty big and open, so there would need a good crowd for it to be rocking pre-game.

What kind of numbers are we expecting at the Rhino? Post here if you're coming.

In the seating chart thread, VPjr said "details are coming" in a week, which means presumably there will be some concrete plans concerning meet-up points for the Vs and the TFC groups, and the march to the stadium. He also said he's trying to organize a Vs get-together the night before at an undetermined location. We may want to just wait and see what he comes up with.

But to answer your question, wherever there's food, beer and Vs, that's where I'll be!

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Is there a pub slightly farther away that we can go to? I would imagine that the regular supporter bars will be packed. Any other out of town supporters want to start the march from the Sheraton as thats seems where hotwire got us all cheap rooms? :)

There are any number of bars between the Sheraton and BMO Field. The problem is that many don't take kindly to football fans wanting to act like football fans.

With it being a midweek game, I can't imagine the three supporters bars being any more busy than on a regular TFC gameday (though they will all be busy). If it's only overcrowding your worried about, my advice would be come on over. But if you're looking for something quieter, try something along King West, between Spadina and Strachan.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Is there a pub slightly farther away that we can go to? I would imagine that the regular supporter bars will be packed. Any other out of town supporters want to start the march from the Sheraton as thats seems where hotwire got us all cheap rooms? :)

If you are talking the Sheraton on Queen St, you are a long way from the field! That is anywhere between a half hour to an hour, depending on the pace of the march. Good pub in between is the Texas Grill at Front Street and Simcoe. From there you can grab a cab to BMO

I wouldn't expect the pubs to be too busy before a weeknight game. There's not much time after a normal Toronto workday to get to the pub before the match, considering that these pubs are already a decent walk from the stadium.

The solution is: don't have a normal Toronto workday. Leave early. :)

Well I'm at the Sheraton too. I am definitely going to the Rhino, but I was planning on popping by Dufferin Gate for a bit too to see some U-Sector folk.

I basically figure I wake up, get kitted up, head out west, grab some lunch, have a few pints at the Rhino, pop by Dufferin between say 4-5 and then head back to the Rhino for a few more before the march.

Thanks for the tip on hotwire. Very nice.

cheers,

matthew

Archived