Organizations of Chants- August 20th.

Since there will be various supporters throughout BMO Field, it is a necessity we have communication. Each support sections should be responsible to designate one or two members with a walky-talky to start UNITING the chants. This will really get the entire crowd involved. And how great will that it sound singing from all ends of the stadium. So who’s setting up??

Voyageurs:

104-

128/129-

U-Sector:

113-

Red Patch Boys

111/112-

North End Elite

127-

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Since there will be various supporters throughout BMO Field, it is a necessity we have communication. Each support sections should be responsible to designate one or two members with a walky-talky to start UNITING the chants. This will really get the entire crowd involved. And how great will that it sound singing from all ends of the stadium. So who’s setting up??

Great idea, but anything that requires a voice and the ability to hear is (hopefully) going to be compromised by the crowd noise. A $20 FRS radio all the more so.

Communication at events like this is often handled by sign cards. For football (American) you're looking at 3'x4' cards with no more than three or four objects on the card. Any card larger is going to be very difficult to handle in a seating arrangement (although that won't be a problem in the supporters' sections); any smaller lettering can't be seen without high-powered binoculars.

Typically you'd number/letter the chants. If you can keep it to eight items, then you have a reasonable chance to educate the fans to watch the cards. (Since it's only one game, consider this unlikely.) Contrast is important - what colours stand out against a sea of red, with green in front? (Blue background, white number?)

Within each section, a bullhorn/megaphone can be used to communicate the upcoming chant, although again consider this difficult to pull off given the noise. But I doubt you'll have any problem if even a dozen people lead a well-known song - the rest of the section will quickly fall in line once they recognize what's occurring.

Typically you need a "spotter" who can keep an eye on their counterpart in the other section(s). A small set of binoculars never hurt, although a 3' number at 60 yds. isn't too hard to see. Key is to have the card and the spotter in Row 1 - any volunteers?

Last suggestion - know when to look. Set a specific time on the clock to look for a card - maybe the beginning of each minute? If you can do this, though, you can just as easily coordinate which chants to use at which time of the match. It's a cheaper alternative, although a little less spontaneous. Tough to know which minute Canada will score their 4th goal of the match! :D

Hopefully all of this is unnecessary - the V's may be able to hear the chant and pick up the call. But it's not easy when few know the song, let alone getting everyone on-song. A card deck (three decks, actually) might help.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

it might be hard to pick up sign cards in one game tho. I no many a few groups already have a mega-phone and many must have walky-talkys.

You only need 4 people to know what to do, and optionally four more as spotters. Eight chants, numbered and written on a song sheet, given to four people. Use 4 sheets of construction paper per deck - poster board I suppose - unless you expect rain. A little white glue with number cut-outs made from printer paper. I suspect there's an eight-year-old future Voyageur who would love to put the signs together.

Try radios - make sure you use an earpiece - and let us know how it goes.

Guys, guys, guys.

We won't be coordinated. That's that.

Let's try to be coordinated WITHIN our sections and make as much noise. If we have some simple Canada clap clap chants, the rest will pick it up. Anything more complex is a no-go.

Daniel knows what he's talking about.

It's hard enough to get RPB and U-Sector on the same page, and we're at the stadium week in and week out. Just focus on our own sections, the rest will pick up on what they like.

I think enough of us know some of the staples - either national team or TFC-related - that we can hopefully jump on some songs/chants.

I think some of the real basic ones we can all get on board on and hopefully with the four corners solid we can get the people in the middle into it?

cheers,

matthew

Guys was there a capo at the St. VAG game? I saw the supporters vid on youtube and thought I heard someone start up on a megaphone. I have a couple megaphones that work well. If it's difficult or expensive to get megaphones in Canada let me know. I can bring some back from Asia to add to the Voyageur war chest.

quote:Originally posted by tmac55

Are air horns allowed in BMO Field? If not, I better get learning my chants as well

I will answer my own question and say no to air horns as per the BMO field website of prohibited items...

o well :) Chanting it is!!

Archived