Amanda C. -- What are you doing?

So, I was using "google image" to find photos of a number of Canadian players--Stalteri, DeGuzman, Christine Sinclair, Kara Lang etc.--and on a whim tried a few players I've not heard from a while, including Belotte and Parker and Jamani and yes, Cicchini, and it suddenly dawned on me why she's not been playing a whole lot for the National team these days. Check out her photos and you'll see what I mean. I suspect the girl is having too much fun at college to worry about soccer, or anything else for that matter.

The burden of being beautiful, I suppose. {don't i know it}

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearly why she isn't on the field. It's a tough life. You're on a field every night through all your teenage years, and the next thing you know you're a thousand miles from home and have all this free time and are forced to try and catch up. Everyone makes mistakes, that's part of growing up. Just more visible when you are a public figure thanks to the internet.

Doesn't really say a lot about the WVU coaching staff and their attitudes towards the professionalism they demand from their athletes though. That's a huge red flag.

I don't know where some of you people have been but Amanda is just doing what many young women (and men) in universities are doing. It's just that in this day and age their photos get placed on the internet and are circulated to many more people. It's doubtful that her coaches would have much control over off the field legal activities. Now if she was travelling with the team then team rules would apply. Give the young lady a break.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

I don't know where some of you people have been but Amanda is just doing what many young women (and men) in universities are doing. It's just that in this day and age their photos get placed on the internet and are circulated to many more people. It's doubtful that her coaches would have much control over off the field legal activities. Now if she was travelling with the team then team rules would apply. Give the young lady a break.

I agree with you Terpfan the muted tsk tsks.. are a reflection of a bias that says .. Soccer players female ones are always the girl next door .. and good girls etc. The reality is that she is doing what every familys daughter might do in a certain circumstance, a dorm party a dare .... etc.

And even is she was giving a sexualized lap dance to a girl friend, waht is wrong with that ?

She controls her body and makes her decisions.

^ Don't kid yourself that coaches and athletic departments at US and Canadian universities don't have substantial influence if not direct control of off the field activities, legal or otherwise, of players in their programs... especially if said players are on scholarship. That may offend your personal sense of civil liberties but it is a fact of life for most scholar athletes. I have a sense you have no first hand experience of life as a varsity athlete on scholarship.

Well, actually that's not a valid observation. Having attended a US university where several roomates were on scholarships I do know that the coaches have a lot of control BUT that was before digital photos and there is every chance that the picture in question was taken by a female friend at a pajama party (do they still call them that) got onto the interned without the expressed consent of the athlete. Besides I see young (under 18) females at school with similar outfits as soon as the weather gets warmer (this is Winnipeg afterall) and for what ever reason the school admin does nothing more than suggest to the individual that they should dress more appropriately. Ah, if I were only 17 again.

Methinks your Google fingers need some work. If it were only one or two, or even a half dozen photos, I would buy into the being taken advantage of theory. But it's clearly much more than that, and being promoted to create a personna and probably sell tickets.

As for morality, I agree 100%, people have every right to live their lives as they please within the bounds of legality. But if we all did that it would be a pretty crappy world. Post-secondary education is about making people realize the responsibilities (personal and representational) that go along with those rights.

I have no problem with her doing it, or anyone else doing it. My point was simply I am disappointed in the WVU program staff.

OK Vic, what do you propose the W.Va. staff do about it? If they take away her scholarship I am sure that people would be critical of that action? If they suspend her and and the team performance is affected then maybe they are out of a job. My point is that there are areas that the team officials can and should control and there are areas that they can't and shouldn't control. She as far as I know she does not take performance enhancing drugs, get copies of exams provided to her, or break any laws or NCAA regulations. Does the university have rules prohibiting behaviour related to posting of pictures by the individual or other? I think not.

I am also saying that her behaviour is typical of a lot of college age (or younger) women and while I do not personally approve (and would certainly give my three daughters a parental lecture) it is not the role of the coaching staff to prohibit this behaviour. They can of course explain the inappropriatness of the behaviour.

As to my Googly fingers -- one photo was enough. I am not in the habit of checking out young women one third my age.

Yes really. The players that are most under the "control" of the coaches are the number 6 through 15 on the "ability" chart. Look at the number of Div. 1 transfers that happen each year in women's soccer. If players have ability then the coaches will "work with" them unless they have serious transgressions or are a disruptive influence (Charmaine?) on the other players.

^ That may be and beware sending your 'star athlete' kid to one of those schools. The point made by Vic and others and with which I agree 100% is that the apparant situation with this young woman reflects badly on the WVU program and its staff.

WTF???

WVU had one of it's best season ever, winning the Big East, making it to the Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament and Amanda was second team all-american.

What's wrong with her partying and having a good time? What do you think the scholar-athlete are doing during the offseason? Yes they do train but they're allowed to have some fun. If one of the WVU men's soccer team player would've posted on facebook pictures of him without a t-shirt during a party I doubt we would've heard about it....but now since it's a good looking girl we're hearing all that stuff?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

WTF???

WVU had one of it's best season ever, winning the Big East, making it to the Elite 8 of the NCAA tournament and Amanda was second team all-american.

What's wrong with her partying and having a good time? What do you think the scholar-athlete are doing during the offseason? Yes they do train but they're allowed to have some fun. If one of the WVU men's soccer team player would've posted on facebook pictures of him without a t-shirt during a party I doubt we would've heard about it....but now since it's a good looking girl we're hearing all that stuff?

Seriously. This thread would be a non-starter if she wasn't "photogenic". How about we close this thread by wishing her well in her career at WVU & the NT?

I have to agree with loyola. This type of student behaviour does not reflect badly on the university since it is really not in their control and IF they tried to enforce draconian rules on areas of behaviour NOT related to soccer I am sure they would find it difficult to recruit players and i might leave the university open to a law suit because removing a scholarship from a player would constitute a tort.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Our work has google locked down with safesearch set to strict filtering so i may not be able to see some of the stuff you can Beaver. But, i was still able to find this:

http://www.yardbarker.com/backyard/articles/West_Virginia_Soccer_Girl_Woah/36340

I remember this photo-it's actually quite old. I'd say at least 1 1/2 to 2 years gone now. Was sent it by a member of the media while out covering the women's team.

/no big whup

That's why people who start facebook pages etc better be cautious. Employers are doing internet searches on their potential employees and if they don't like what they see are not considering them for employment. I wonder if college coaches are doing the same. If they are it might save them some problems later on.

quote:Originally posted by terpfan68

That's why people who start facebook pages etc better be cautious. Employers are doing internet searches on their potential employees and if they don't like what they see are not considering them for employment. I wonder if college coaches are doing the same. If they are it might save them some problems later on.

With the networks stuff dissapearance I think it gets tougher for people to see non-friends facebook pages. So it's tougher for employers and coaches to do search on people that way. But Iagree witht he general feeling that someone must be cautious with those internet pages, specially regarding pictures and videos.

A lot of this stuff is going to come back to haunt people some day and yes, universities do have the right to pull a scholarship if they don't like your behaviour and furthermore the official reason may have nothing to do directly with said behaviour... read the fine print and good luck in court. You should see the conditions laid down for recipients of national team elite athlete/carding money too.

Archived