Canucks in Germany - July 2008

Guest Ed

Please note if you feel like debating the merits of Liechenstein vs Grenada, stay out of this thread!!!

Latest:

Kevin McKenna goes 90 minutes today in a 3-2 exhibition win for FC Koeln over Rapid Vienna.

Bundesliga schedule out yesterday: Moenchengladbach start at home vs VfB Stuttgart and Koeln are away to VfL Wolfsburg.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DigzTFC

Wait, McKenna went a full 90? What about Canada's WCQ? I find this strange because he was suppose to be hurt....anyone else think this is kind of alarming?

Not really, that was 2 weeks ago... Maybe the month of rest without travel did him well?

edit: The last game was two weeks ago, the team got together more than a month ago.

quote:Originally posted by DigzTFC

Maybe, but two weeks of rest for an injury that kept you out of qualifiers for the world cup doesn't seem like a long time. I guess the positives out of this is that he's healthy again and will be fit for Aug.20th.

What I meant was that he may have been in probable shape for the last game, but definitely not for when the team first got together over a month ago. DM was sticking with continuity last month as no new players were called in over the course of their time together, though a handful were cut. Anyways, there wouldn't have been much point calling him for the second vag game as they were already up 3-0.

Some updates:

First off, congratulations due to Riley O'Neill. After a great season with SV Wilhelmshaven (11 goals), Riley O'Neill is off to Eintracht Braunschweig, signing a 2 year deal on the 1st of July. Eintracht open in the Bundesliga 3 the last week of July vs Erzebirge Aue. The club has a great support base.

Dani Fernandes and Daniel Imhof start for VfL Bochum in their first friendly on Saturday. Dani has a Portuguese father, Czech mother and Norwegian girlfriend. Now feels more 'Portuguese' than Canadian. ??

Bochum open against SC Karlsruher on the weekend of August 16th.

Rob Friend is still away on extended holiday (due to his time with the Cdn nats) with his Borussia Moenchengladbach teammates back in training.

Kevin McKenna spent Saturday night at a fan barbecue!!

Josh Simpson likewise still away from FC Kaiserslautern.

Nik Ledgerwood played the 2nd half (wholesale changes at the half) in 1860's first exhibition yesterday.

Jonathan Bourgault was in action with FC St Pauli in their first exhibition match:

image_121543060654.jpeg

As FCH noted in the resurrected Ryan Gyaki thread, Ryan was in action with the Hansa Rostock reserves on the weekend.

Note that all clubs actually start their seasons one week earlier as the first round of the DFB Pokal gets underway. Matchups of interest:

Saturday 09 August 2008

SV Niederauerbach - 1. FC Köln (McKenna)

FC Carl Zeiss Jena - 1. FC Kaiserslautern (Simpson)

Preußen Münster (Wassey) - VfL Bochum (Imhof, Fernandes)

Erzgebirge Aue - FC St. Pauli (Bourgault)

TSG Neustrelitz - 1860 München (Ledgerwood)

VfB Fichte Bielefeld - Borussia M'gladbach (Friend)

When is the busy transfer time in the german leagues, I seem to recall a few years ago while watching Stalteri that they would have a player ie Ailton playing for Bremen but already signed for the next year with someone else. Or was that just an aberation and the german leagues are the same as anyone else, Summer transfers and feverish activity near the close of the window in september and january.

German leagues are very different than we are used to in that transfers are confirmed throughout the season, something you NEVER see in North America.

They abide by the same transfer windows, but players can finalize their future transfer to another club as their contract winds down. Even weirder by NA standards, same applies to coaches.

I believe the Bosman transfer allows a player to negotiate with a new club with six months remaining in his current deal, provided he's over the age of 24 (or is under but hasn't been offered a new deal of equal or greater value). So, usually coinciding with the opening of the January transfer window. I think you do hear about it less in the EPL because most clubs have transfer budgets available and would rather pay to have the player immediately. I would guess that even in Germany the rivalvry of the league would suggest that the player would be transferring abroad. The examples I can think of lately in England were at Villa with Laursen (and maybe Mellberg too) where they were signed for clubs abroad in early January and continued their English season. The Italian and Spanish clubs seem to like to sign the utility players this way, perhaps to allow for more flexibility in their budgets?

The weird thing about the German leagues is that announcing transfers mid-season to another Bundesliga 1 club is very common.

Hey Ed, thanks for opening my favorite thread again.:-) after the summer brak

Kaiserslautern started their first trainingscamp last monday. Josh traveled with the team, but stil can not work with it. He gets individual practice.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

So I guess Hoilett has left SC Paderborn to return to Blackburn?

Correct. But word was in the Rostock press last season end, that he and Blackburn would be looking for another loan to a Bundesliga 2 side this coming season.

Here's Riley O'Neill training this week with Eintracht Braunschweig. Has number 9 jersey. This kid keeps scoring whenever he plays. Here's to a great Bundesliga 3 season and better things to come. For those unfamiliar with him, he broke his neck when he was 17 years old, and went on to take rookie of the year honours at Kentucky U only 2 years later.

http://www.eintracht.com/saison/fotoseite/446

Note, had to post the url as the image doesn't appear when linked. Riley is in the 2nd photo in the 4th row.

Big steup up for Riley O'Neill as he is now playing for a club with some history and a good fan base. Here is the stadium, 25,000 capacity:

Heute2.jpg

Daniel Imhof training in the Alps yesterday with VfL Bochum. Looks like Fernandes is set to be the number 1 keeper on a Bundesliga 1 team.

winner_04.jpg

Rob Friend arrives to join his teammatest a week into pre-season training. His injuries are largely healed but will not play in the first two exhibition games. A short interview with him at the M'Gladbach site asks how he is feeling about the B1. He says he has no goals, just wants to improve like he has each of the last 6 or 7 years. He might be used as a lone striker in a new formation, something he is used to with Canada (he says the game against Brazil was one of his best with Canada).

162104,0.jpg

Nik Ledgerwood is stepping it up at training with 1860 Muenchen. Played 90 minutes in 1860's 5-0 win over FC Kempten. Nice to see 'wunderbaren' describing his play in setting up the opener.

"Zweimal gelang ihnen das in den ersten 45 Minuten eindrucksvoll. In der 16. Minute leitete Nikolas Ledgerwood einen wunderbaren Angriff ein. Der Pass des Kanadiers öffnete die linke Angriffsseite für Daniel Bierofka."

Here's Nik (with the golden boots):

03_menge_475px.jpg

Riley O'Neill has picked up a knock and did not take part in Eintracht Braunschweig's 7-0 exhibition win over KSV Baunatal.

Looks like Jonathan Bourgault is not favoured with the St Pauli officials as he and Rene Schitzler are reported as having 'no role' in the team this coming season.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

Ed, have you heard any news about McKenna's position at Koln because I heard and read that his club was interested in signing Oguchi Onyewu from Standard Liege?

Onyewu is pretty bad. I've witnessed that a couple times both with Newcastle and the US MNT. he really dodged a bullet thanks to his buddy Archundia and so did his Fulham reject partner Bocanegra.

I doubt Onyewu could push their captain out of a spot

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Onyewu is pretty bad. I've witnessed that a couple times both with Newcastle and the US MNT. he really dodged a bullet thanks to his buddy Archundia and so did his Fulham reject partner Bocanegra.

I doubt Onyewu could push their captain out of a spot

I don't rate him much either but that's not what I was asking. Perhaps someone out there has read or heard in media reports from Koln that Daum was dissatisfied with his central defence situation and was looking for other options before the season begins. It carries more weight than just hearing the transfer rumour on its own.

Archived