Canucks in Germany - July 2008

Guest Ed

To follow up on Frank's post, Kevin McKenna started and played the first hour for FC Koeln yesterday, opening up the scoring with a header 13 minutes in.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Hamburger Abendblatt has an article on the 6 youngsters with FC St Pauli, including David Hoilett: "St Pauli's best talents in the last 10 years". His contract details should be wrapped up this Saturday. Meantime, he is in training with the Hamburg club and enjoying the Playstation one of them brought along.

Here is article with pic from yesterday:

http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2008/07/24/911123.html

man we need this guy.

Lets pray he chooses Canada

Another article on Nik L today, this one in Bild. Headline "LEDGI: I DON'T WANT TO BE A BENCHWARMER ANYMORE!". Goes on to say he is having a great training camp, over his injuries and is looking forward to being in the starting 11 this season. Also, has his sister coming over to visit from LA (as in L, A).

Another article in the Bavarian paper, Abendzeitung, quotes trainer Kurz on Nik: "Nik has been the revelation of the training camp. Nik is a versatile player who can play many positions. If I get in a jam, I have Ledgerwood."

Friend is quoted today in the Rheinische Press as being pleased with his start. First game, first goal. Good sign for the Bundesliga 1 season.

"LA (as in L, A)": I take it you mean Lethbridge?

Perhaps his sister and family should save up enough cash to fly to Toronto and Montreal to see him later this August and September?

You never know, eh? The back up RB position is wide open, especially if there is no Nsaliwa. We'll see how he starts the season.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

"LA (as in L, A)": I take it you mean Lethbridge?

Perhaps his sister and family should save up enough cash to fly to Toronto and Montreal to see him later this August and September?

You never know, eh? The back up RB position is wide open, especially if there is no Nsaliwa. We'll see how he starts the season.

It'll take some impressive starts. This group has been together for a while now and it is hard enough to pick an 18

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

It'll take some impressive starts. This group has been together for a while now and it is hard enough to pick an 18

I agree to a point, but it's the spot on the field we don't have legitimate cover, so I think he has an opportunity nonetheless.

Hoilett deal is done on the weekend. He will be with FC St Pauli for one season (Bundesliga 2) remaining property of Rovers. Not a bad first get out, 3 goals in his first game with the club.

David Hoilett kommt für ein Jahr

Am Montag endet das Trainingslager in Diessenhofen/CH. Die Rückkehr nach Hamburg wird auch Youngster David Hoilett antreten, der den FC St. Pauli in der kommenden Saison im Angriff verstärken wird.

Anzeige

Nach acht Tagen in der Schweiz kehren die Kiezkicker am Montag wieder zurück nach Hamburg. Vor dem Abflug stehen allerdings noch zwei knackige Trainingseinheiten auf dem Programm - da kennt Stani nichts. Nach dem 9:0-Erfolg über den FC Radolfzell zeigte sich der Coach zufrieden. Zufrieden mit der Leistung seiner Jungs, den Rahmenbedingungen in Diessenhofen und natürlich auch über die Verpflichtung von David Hoilett, der in seinem ersten Einsatz für den FC St. Pauli gleich drei Tore (und was für welche) erzielte. Den Deal machte Sportchef Helmut Schulte am vergangenen Sonnabend mit dem Spieler, dessen Berater und Vertretern vom englischen Erstligisten Blackburn Rovers klar. Hoilett wird für eine Saison ans Millerntor ausgeliehen.

Infos zu David Junior Hoilett

Geb.: 05.06.1990

Gewicht: 71 kg

Größe: 1,72 m

Nat.: KAN

Position: Mittelfeld/Stürmer

Rückennummer: 23

Vorherige Vereine: SC Paderborn, Blackburn Rovers

"David ist ein junger Spieler, der ein hohes Potenzial hat und er wird bei uns den nächsten Schritt machen. Er ist schnell und technisch stark", so Stani über den Neuzugang, der bereits in der vergangenen Saison beim SC Paderborn Zweitliga-Luft schnuppern konnte.

Here is his pic. I am going to go out on a limb here but I think he should be brought in to the squad for qualifying. Full squad. F* the U20 stuff. This kid is the real deal. I predict he will be ahead of anybody but DeRo and Friend in terms of g/s potential by October.

image_1217192133441.jpeg

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Here is his pic. I am going to go out on a limb here but I think he should be brought in to the squad for qualifying. Full squad. F* the U20 stuff. This kid is the real deal. I predict he will be ahead of anybody but DeRo and Friend in terms of g/s potential by October.

That's not entirely unreasonable. If he's starting and scoring in the 2. Bundesliga, that would put him level with a player like Josh Simpson and above Occean and Gerba in terms of club pedigree (yes, shock!, I rate the 2nd German division ahead of a bottom-feeding 1st tier Norway club) and behind only Friend among our 'pure' strikers.

Such a move could expose Mitchell to the type of criticism Yallop got for slotting in Peters and Simpson too early, but Hoillet has proven himself professionally sooner than those two did.

Another article confirms that Janeil Hoilett has joined the U17's for FC St Pauli (I would assume another loan, but not confirmed).

Zach Kalthoff will be one of 3 goalkeepers for FC Kaiserslautern amateurs as they will play in the new Regional League West (4th tier).

TSV 1860 have some good signs heading into this year's Bundesliga 2 campaign, with 4 starters on Germany's gold medal winning UEFA U19 squad.

Rob Friend has one good chance headed over the bar as Borussia Moenchengladbach lose 1-0 to TuS Koblenz in a friendly on Saturday. Friend came on for the 2nd half.

Kennedy Owusu-Ansah plays right back in the first half Saturday for Hertha Berlin's U23's/reserves/amateur side in a friendly

Guest Can. in UK
quote:Originally posted by Keegan

man we need this guy.

Lets pray he chooses Canada

Do we know for which other coutries he is available?

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

That's not entirely unreasonable. If he's starting and scoring in the 2. Bundesliga, that would put him level with a player like Josh Simpson and above Occean and Gerba in terms of club pedigree (yes, shock!, I rate the 2nd German division ahead of a bottom-feeding 1st tier Norway club) and behind only Friend among our 'pure' strikers.

Such a move could expose Mitchell to the type of criticism Yallop got for slotting in Peters and Simpson too early, but Hoillet has proven himself professionally sooner than those two did.

There is no comparison. Simpson and Peters had never played a pro game in their lives when they were brought in (and played, I might add). Hoilett is going into his 2nd pro season and has met all expectations to date.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Geez, I remember the feature Direct Kicks did on Hoillet when he was - like 12 or 13 - and he looked small. Actually looks like a monster now!

From his profile it states he's 5'8" and 156lbs.

I'm not sure I would read too much in a player scoring 3 goals in a 9-0 win.

He surely looks like a brillant prospect and I don't know a lot aabout him. His last year numbers are 12 games played and one goal. IMO unless he starts scoring and playing consistenly I don't think he deserves a call for our WC squad at this point.

BTW, his size makes me believe he would be use as an attacking winger in our system, so I doubt he would be challenging our 3 target man. Guys like Hume, Issey, Simpso and a few others should be worried though.

Well I don't read too much into exhibition games. Two Bundesliga 2 sides have gone after him and he just turned 18. But when article after article state he is the real deal, you might suspect he is the real deal. I didn't translate the article on the ex game, but it said he scored 'three goals, but what goals!!' He's probably got too much talent for the CSA to earnestly pursue, because with that talent he will have a bit of an ego.

Cap him for something meaningful. Don't call him up for U20 bs when he is playing this season. Cap him or lose him.

I’m a firm believer that players must prove they are worth a call with some kind of performances at the club level before getting a MNT call. It’s nice to see the media and his coaches praising him and it sure looks good for the future but until he starts scoring at a decent rate in the B2 I don’t think he has a good case for a call.

A lot of young players are “the real deal” but some fall below the expectations, some meet them rather quickly and some take more time to meet them. With 1 goal in 12 appearances it’s tough to judge where he really is at this point (let’s hope we’ll be fix quickly).

The cap him or loose him could be apply to a lot of young promising players and I hope our coaches don’t start that kind of policy. Call the most deserving players, don’t mess with selection process because someone could be eligible for another country. We need our best players on the field!

well just for you Loyola I might well rename this thread 'David Hoilett in Germany - July 2008'.

Headlines in the Hamburg press today:

Welt Online: Hoilett Steals the Hearts of St Pauli Fans in Attack

Hamburger Abendblatt: The Reggae Kicker

Hamburger MorgenPost: St. Pauli's New Jewel Admires Ronaldo

quote:Originally posted by loyola

I'm not sure I would read too much in a player scoring 3 goals in a 9-0 win.

He surely looks like a brillant prospect and I don't know a lot aabout him. His last year numbers are 12 games played and one goal. IMO unless he starts scoring and playing consistenly I don't think he deserves a call for our WC squad at this point.

BTW, his size makes me believe he would be use as an attacking winger in our system, so I doubt he would be challenging our 3 target man. Guys like Hume, Issey, Simpso and a few others should be worried though.

I like the fact that he has a lot of pure pace which is something I would like to see in our striker pool. But I also think your last point is a valid one because tactically we seem to have our wagon hitched to a target man system so I think he is competing against the likes of the three guys you mentioned, plus Peters.

I hope he has a really good start to his club campaign. He is certainly generating a buzz in the local German media.

Archived