Canucks in Germany - July 2008

Guest Ed

Rob Friend is going to see his first action of the pre-season today as his Borussia Moenchengladbach side take on another promoted club, West Bromwich Albion.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

There is a reference to a conversation someone on this site had with Hart where he says whether he plays for Canada is between him and his father....

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7721

i vaguely remember something in the paper prior to the U-17 qualification where it mentioned he had refused a call up....but I can't find that so maybe its in my mind only

That's an interesting thread. Hannover 96 Girl, who used to post about DeGuzman, mentions that there's a connection to Germany in the Rovers academy -which explains his loan last season.

Thanks to Richard at the BCsoccerweb.com site for the heads up on 5 Vancouver Whitecaps Residency players heading over to Energie Cottbus for a month.

"Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that Residency defenders William Hyde, Greg Smith and Adam Straith, as well as midfielders Devin Gunenc and Kyle Porter will take part in a one-month trial with FC Energie Cottbus' U-19 Junior Bundesliga team. Smith, Straith and Gunenc will leave for Germany today, while Hyde and Porter will depart tomorrow."

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Thanks to Richard at the BCsoccerweb.com site for the heads up on 5 Vancouver Whitecaps Residency players heading over to Energie Cottbus for a month.

"Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced today that Residency defenders William Hyde, Greg Smith and Adam Straith, as well as midfielders Devin Gunenc and Kyle Porter will take part in a one-month trial with FC Energie Cottbus' U-19 Junior Bundesliga team. Smith, Straith and Gunenc will leave for Germany today, while Hyde and Porter will depart tomorrow."

All five are Canadians?

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at a bigger club than Cottbus.

Agreed. The Niendorf-Cottbus connection has been ongoing for over 10 years. He gets all kinds of players over there for training. If a couple stick after the trial, it is all good. Edwini-Bonsu turned some heads with his play over in Germany and will be one to watch.

Nik L goes 90 minutes in the number 6 role again for 1860 Muenchen as they defeat Bulgarian side Slavia Sofia 1-0 in an exhibition near Graz, Austria.

TSV 1860 München - Slavia Sofia 1:0 (0:0)

1860:12 Tschauner - 16 Thorandt (46. Johnson), 6 Beda (70. Eberlein), 5 Berhalter, 4 Hoffmann (46. B. Schwarz) - 25 Ledgerwood - 8 Schwarz, 7 Bierofka (60. Holebas) - 10 Göktan (46. Baumgartlinger) - 9 Di Salvo (60. Kucukovic), 11 Lauth (70. Schäffler).

Ersatz: 1 Hofmann, 29 Krauss (beide Tor) - 32 Stahl. Tor:1:0 Kucukovic (79.).Gelbe Karten:Ledgerwood, Beda - .Zuschauer:1.200 in Thal bei Graz/Steiermark.

Interesting bit at the St Pauli site. They take on the Cuban national team tomorrow as they open their new clubhouse and there is a great article on Lutz Pfannenstiel (ex Calgary Mustang, Vancouver Whitecap among many many others) who is now (drum roll) GK coach for the Cubans.

Article is here:

http://www.mopo.de/2008/20080717/sport/stpauli/der_torwart_der_3_tode_starb.html

Riley O'Neill sees the 2nd half as his Liga 3 team Eintracht Braunschweig drop a 4-1 decision to B2 side VfL Osnabrueck.

Rob Friend missed ysterday's 2-1 friendly win for 'Gladbach over WB Albion due to his back injury. He is expected to play next week at the earliest (in a friendly vs old club SC Heerenveen).

FC St Pauli ran out a 7-0 win over the Cuban national team tonight. No word on whether David Hoilett got in. He definitely was not on the score sheet. Lots of Che Guevara and other rebel behaviour on hand. Gotta love 'em.

ca04147b772a2fed6a09d3bfc51201ff.jpg

Here is an update on David Hoilett :

MoPo: It was not easy but Helmut Schulte did it. On the day of the open house, the Sport Director was beaming like the sun. His homework was complete: with the transfer from Benjamin Weigelt and the pending formalities with the Canadian David Hoilett, the roster of the Kiez Club is finalized. At noon, the team posed for their photo. The two new guys lined up with them, even if Hoilett had to leave because of the uncertainty of his transfer. He is still under contract with Blackburn Rovers, but was recently at Paderborn on loan. Now St. Pauli wants him for a year on the Elbe. "There is an understanding from Blackburn," said Schulte, "David is quick and fully of tricks and would like to take his game to the next level here with us." Comparitively the 25 year old left back Benjamin Weigelt is an old verteran. Last January, the MoPo reported that the Kiez Club was looking at him. Three weeks ago, St. Pauli got into contact with the player, who was recently loaned out from Aachen to Kaiserslautern. Alemannia cancelled their contract with Weigelt. On Saturday, he came to Hamburg and will likely wear the number 13. His first experience: looking for a parking place for an hour in the heart of St. Pauli during the Wladimir Klitschko boxing match. Weigelt's contract in Hamburg runs through 2009. "I met with Stani in Cologne and hoped that it would work out as soon as possible." Said the player, who was kicked out of the Aachen team for a disciplinary infraction. His dream: an apartment on the Alster or Elbe. About 1,500 fans were at the open house at the training ground on Kollau Street. The new guys introduced themselves amidst the bratwurst and caipirinha drinks. Schulte: "We tried to get together a strong team and have made the last moves." Only if striker René Schnitzler can find a new club will the Sport Director go on a buying tour.

Rob Friend is over his back problems and will start against his old club SC Heerenveen tomorrow, likely playing only the first half.

Riley O'Neill saw the last 25 minutes for Eintracht Braunschweig yesterday in an exhibition match.

Josh Simpson came in 3rd in voting for FC Kaiserslautern's player of the year (behind keeper Tobias Sippel and midfielder Axel Bellinghausen). Still out of action with his club.

Gianluca Zavarese is one of only 3 players with the amateur side of VfL Bochum to go the distance, scoring the 3rd goal in a 5-0 win for the reserves over FC Wuelfrath on Saturday.

quote:originally quoted by ED

Josh Simpson came in 3rd in voting for FC Kaiserslautern's player of the year (behind keeper Tobias Sippel and midfielder Axel Bellinghausen). Still out of action with his club.

Another picture showing Josh back on the pitch. Although he could´t practice with the rest of the squad, he is back having a ball at his feet. He will be expected beginning of august with the team

http://www.fck.de/start.php

It takes just 26 minutes for Rob Friend to open his account this season, scoring the opener in a 3-1 win for Borussia Moenchengladbach over his former club SC Heerenveen in a friendly today.

And Nik L shows his 'voyageur' form today.

DSC_0164.jpg

quote:Originally posted by davelee05

If you check the news section of http://www.bundesliga.de/en/liga/clubs/bor-moenchengladbach/index.php theres some talk stating that Rob Friend has secured his spot as a regular on Moenchengladbach's squad. Which doesn't necessarily come as a surprise given his performance last season but it's nice to read, coming from the coach.

I think I will fall back to Rob Friend for a response to the above; this is his reply when asked yesterday whether he is worried about competition from Coulatti for striker:

"I think my 18 goals speak for themselves."

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I think I will fall back to Rob Friend for a response to the above; this is his reply when asked yesterday whether he is worried about competition from Coulatti for striker:

"I think my 18 goals speak for themselves."

Good to see he's confident!

I would've expected a more diplomatic answer by Rob, something along the lines of "I'm going to work hard since Coulatti is a good striker, blah blah blah".

BTW, I don't know this Coulatti guy but from his wiki page I can say that he has the curriculum to challenge Rob if he doesn't deliver.

Germany's version of the New York Times, Bild (just kidding), has a profile of Nik Ledgerwood as part of its 'New Lions' piece. The article profiles 5 'winners' from the training session in Austria: 3 players (Mathieu Beda from Kaiserslautern, Nik L, Mustafa Kucukovic), co-coach Uwe Wolf and a new tactical system. Text says that Nik has done well in pre-season games despite playing with 6 screws and a plate in his ankle. He says his ankle doesn't bother him at all and feels all right. His favourite position is the number 6 and coach Kurz says he is nearly there.

Click on the 'play' or 'right arrow' button to get to player #2 at this link:

http://www.bild.de/BILD/sport/fussball/zweite-liga/2008/07/24/1860-muenchen/erste-gewinner.html

Hamburger Abendblatt has an article on the 6 youngsters with FC St Pauli, including David Hoilett: "St Pauli's best talents in the last 10 years". His contract details should be wrapped up this Saturday. Meantime, he is in training with the Hamburg club and enjoying the Playstation one of them brought along.

Here is article with pic from yesterday:

http://www.abendblatt.de/daten/2008/07/24/911123.html

Archived